carson/duratrax gears or FG gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

q-man

I have carson touring car. There is problems with layshaft and diffgears. I ordered duratrax layshaft gear and replaced diff gear with one I had spare. It has chewed lot of gears and now it didnt last till 20min. Do those carson/duratrax gears fit with fg gears because I believe my diffgear is fg. I know I have to get alu motormount or at least new motor mount.

if you're going to use fhammer you have to convert it all to fhammer. i have a fhammer that had fg parts on it(didn't know cause i bought it used) so when i went to replace broken parts i tore them up quick. there is a very small difference in the parts, so small that you have to really look at them but different enough to tear them up if there not all the same make.

like kreb says, the pitch of the gears is slightly different. when you swap the layshaft gear, you should really change the dif gear as well since if one has been chewed, the other will have taken a beating as well.

i had a fg and a duratrax motor mount side by side and i couldn't see any difference until i took a close look and then i could see just a slite angle difference. that slite dif caused the layshaft to be on a slite angle also witch chewed up gears and bearings. i put all new parts in from duratrax and haven't had any probs since.

Today I took firehammer layshaft gear (broken one) and fg gear side by side. and difference is huge. Always thought that toothing is same but it isnt at all. No wonder that it didnt last more than 20 min. Rolling on diffgear is horrible and i don't know how it did feel pretty good and smooth when I installed it. FH gear is A lot smaller than fg. I put on in my carson attack and haven't driven it much since. Reason I didnt dove it was that I thought clutch is done. Gearing was so much shorter than before so it was on full revs very quickly..... I hope. FG all or FH all don't mix and you drive more.

Back