Rovan powered King Motor Baja...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StretchMaK

I got this together finally. Started as one of the KM rollers which came with everything but the motor and radio/receiver. Was going to use it for a parts car. A while later I picked up a 45cc Rovan I was going to stick in my 30.5cc Rovan Baja. Will the 30.5 runs so good I could not pull it out and let it sit. So the 45cc went in the parts car and another Baja is born. I love these things. Have three now. I have an HPI Baja 5b flux kit i built, a Rovan 30.5cc Baja and now this King Motor/Rovan Baja. I love these things.

The 45cc went in the KM just like a glove. Everything lined right up, no screw holes just missing or any of that stuff. I will admit, this surprised me. All you ever hear is how these cars are junk and what not. Not my experience so far. I pulled the trans and diff apart and all was good. Shocks were good.

I tried the "big gun" pipe for the 45cc motor and could not get it to seal on the bottom of the pipe to gasket, gasket to stinger and both sides of the first gasket sealed fine. Just a leak on the bottom edge. Bummed cause this pipe sounds sweet and I only had a first run fat/rich tune on it.

I picked up the 45cc side pipe and it works like a champ so far. No leaks, no stinger ( is this needed? ). This side pipe lines up with the front mount right on. It goes under the frame, messed me trying to get it on top at first, DOH. This pipe sounds sweet also, very loud. Still just a fat tune on her for now. In the morning I'll get her tuned up. It said that you have to remove the spur cover for this pipe, I trimmed a lil off it and it fits fine. I cut the right side of the body right below the spot light mount to make taking the body on and off easier. Would really like to find the Bartolone pipe for this motor.

A few pics of her.

KM Baja 45ccc 03.jpg

KM Baja 45cc 04.jpgKM Baja 45cc 05.jpgKM Baja 45cc 06.jpg

Last edited:
Had this thing out this morning and other than a fuel leak around the cap all is good so far. The leak my be my fault. Ran it around for about 20 min or so. Not real hard. Let it cool off for a bit and did it again for about 15 min. About 5 min into this second go it changed sound, like it came alive. Wow it sounds good. Let it cool off again and it was on. Dam it sounds good on this lil side pipe.

A question for you guys who know.
I have one of the tachs on it and could only get 14,400 rpms out of it. Still new to these things so may doing something wrong. My 30.5cc will hit just over 16k. Both cars on stock gearing. Should I get more revs or is the bigger motor just good for low end grunt because it seems to have plenty of that. Using the VP Power Mix fuel because I got a gallon of it for for almost nothing. Only 93 octane I think. Have some C12 on the way.

The 45 sounds real good on both ends. No brake up or stutter.

I think I figured out the RPM thing. I pulled the gas tank out to clean up the mess from the leak. When I put it all back together and was checking stuff out I noticed the throttle was not opening all the way. Maybe just over 1/16th of an inch to go. Set that the right way and will see what happens next time out.

I think the leak was my fault, cap not on right/tight, I think.

Had this thing out this morning and other than a fuel leak around the cap all is good so far. The leak my be my fault. Ran it around for about 20 min or so. Not real hard. Let it cool off for a bit and did it again for about 15 min. About 5 min into this second go it changed sound, like it came alive. Wow it sounds good. Let it cool off again and it was on. Dam it sounds good on this lil side pipe.

A question for you guys who know.
I have one of the tachs on it and could only get 14,400 rpms out of it. Still new to these things so may doing something wrong. My 30.5cc will hit just over 16k. Both cars on stock gearing. Should I get more revs or is the bigger motor just good for low end grunt because it seems to have plenty of that. Using the VP Power Mix fuel because I got a gallon of it for for almost nothing. Only 93 octane I think. Have some C12 on the way.

The 45 sounds real good on both ends. No brake up or stutter.

Just a quick thing to think about fuel wise.

A higher octane actually makes less power if the motor doesn't have the compression to support it.
I have done a lot of fuel testing on the dyno myself over the years and have seen this firsthand. Both in automobile and karts the end result is the same.
In this situation you might not notice a difference and it might not matter ; but more octane than needed is nothing except extra money spent.

VP 94 octane is plenty.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks