Go Back   Large Scale Forums > Large Scale R/C Forums > King Motor Baja

HPI Baja Clone

Discussion in King Motor Baja forum, started by drbelleville.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #26
Mr Moff

Trader Feedback: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONAROMAN View Post
don't get me started on these clones...

theres a big thread, actually a whole section on them over at the hpibajaforum - I recommend checking it out. Lots is speculation but all i know is a mate bought one and its crap - he spent way too much replacing crap clone parts with original HPI ones that he could've bought the original in the first place and had money to spare.

Just don't let anyone feed you the lie that HPI make, or help make, or willingly supply any parts to these clone mfg's - I have spoken to HPI about it personally and its absolute baloney
Monaroman is spot on with what he is saying.The place that I do repairs for gets a lot of new people to the hobby before christmas and when people come in asking about a car for their son or themselves they are sometimes frightened off by the cost,but then they come in after christmas with cars I've never heard of that wont start or have no drive or dodgy radio problems.
They are tempted by the price but then their christmas is ruined and it isn't their fault cos the online ads sound tempting.
Last christmas there was probably 18 or 20 cars I had to sort out and these were repairs that needed doing straight out of the box.
Potentially this can put people off the hobby and some of these makes won't even sell to the trade.
I really feel sorry for the people that have these bad experiences,I just wish they would do their homework first.
Mr Moff is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #27
BigToys

I would have agreed with you before I bought one. I have to say, that out of the box it is very comparable to the HPI RTR.

Just my opinion.
BigToys is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
Mr Moff

sorry I wasn't meaning the baja clone in particular as I haven't seen one in the flesh,it was other clones of other cars that appeared last christmas that were coppies of other cars like a certain kyosho copy and a stadium truck that two of them actually had the spur gear missing and one had no clutch at all.
Mr Moff is offline   Reply
Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #29
Rc-Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToys View Post
Because I own a KM Baja and have pulled the engine that came in it out and put my other donk (which happens to be a ported CY 29cc engine) in it. SO i know what a real CY looks like.

The stock engine in the KM is a DZY23cc with a copy of a CY "Fuelie"
sticker on the pull starter. You will see however that the KM "Fuelie" stickers ARE slightly different compared to the real "Fuelie" sticker.

You will also see that it does not say Chung Yang on the cylinder head of the KM Baja engine.

Another common misconception is that the carb is a Walbro...this is also NOT true. The carb on the stock KM is made by "Ruixing"

The tyres are copies of the Dirt Busters...look the same but don't have HPI on them. They are comparable in quality to the real Dirt Busters.

Like I said the KM is a good unit....but the engines ARE NOT CY's

Where in Syd are you RC-Slave?

I've been hearing alot about this Km baja, some people are saying its mostly HPI parts, others are saying its a good copy but no HPI parts.
Almost every one has said its a real CY 23cc fuelie, but have never said how they know for sure.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Im live in ryde btw.
Rc-Slave is offline   Reply
Old 08-27-2008, 03:36 AM   #30
BigToys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc-Slave View Post
I've been hearing alot about this Km baja, some people are saying its mostly HPI parts, others are saying its a good copy but no HPI parts.
Almost every one has said its a real CY 23cc fuelie, but have never said how they know for sure.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Im live in ryde btw.

It is definately a copy......but a good copy in terms of frame parts, chassis strength, tyres, etc, etc IMO. I have not run the engine for long enough to tell you if it is good or not, as I swapped it out pretty much straight away...but it looks like a direct copy of the CY (in appearance at least)
Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #31
redmagnum

Im warning you! I got one of these clones and the plastic is cheap!!!!...brittle and a lot more "plastiky" than HPI parts, I have spent a lot on money replacing plastics! The pistons in the shocks are crappy and do not work and the shocks leak!!!....I have said it before but people keep saying its the same.....I guess they have never seen the authentic HPI baja to compare! Trust me I have been in this hobby since late 80's. This is a real cheap copy. Im mad at myself for purchasing this buggy clone.
redmagnum is offline   Reply
Old 09-15-2008, 04:05 AM   #32
BigToys

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmagnum View Post
Im warning you! I got one of these clones and the plastic is cheap!!!!...brittle and a lot more "plastiky" than HPI parts, I have spent a lot on money replacing plastics! The pistons in the shocks are crappy and do not work and the shocks leak!!!....I have said it before but people keep saying its the same.....I guess they have never seen the authentic HPI baja to compare! Trust me I have been in this hobby since late 80's. This is a real cheap copy. Im mad at myself for purchasing this buggy clone.

That's fair enough mate....you are definately entitled to your opinion and it sucks that you have had problems with yours.

I did a lot of research into this, and from my research, I noticed that there were 2 baja "clones". The KM Baja and the TQ Baja. I totally agree with you in terms of the TQ Baja. It is CRAP!....pure and simple. It has no good points IMO. The KM Baja is very comparable (again IMO) to the HPI version straight out of the box.

All RC's have weak points, but the KM is a good unit... strong...no real problems with it. I have bent the rear shocks, because we tend to "bash" it quite hard with big jumps etc, but the RTR shocks on the HPI bend just as easily. I never ran it with the stock 23cc engine, as I swapped it out for a 29 straight away, so I couldn't tell you about the quality of the engine. The plastics look ok to me. They are different from the HPI in appearance. They are shiney,compared to the matt look of the HPI. I haven't broken any plastic on the thing and I have ran it for about 12 Litres so far.

Overall, I am VERY happy with it. It is a great RC to take out bashing with my 8 and 5 year old sons...and we have blast!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #33
wefishtoo

Here is my clone with the new desert rat body in black with multi coloured metalflake paint.
28.5 cc kit with porting,dom pipe, turtle racing gear plate , python gear cover,gh clutch bell carrier, hd shocks and springs,sway bars, vertigo wheel extensions, integy front discs etc etc etc. damn money pit

so far so good. No dramas with it after 6 months now.Nothing broke.Maybe im lucky? or the product is ok

wefishtoo is offline   Reply
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #34
htrdmx55

Ok just an update! As of today Kingmotor says $575.00 shipped to california.
htrdmx55 is offline   Reply
Old 11-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #35
Rc-Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wefishtoo View Post
Here is my clone with the new desert rat body in black with multi coloured metalflake paint.
28.5 cc kit with porting,dom pipe, turtle racing gear plate , python gear cover,gh clutch bell carrier, hd shocks and springs,sway bars, vertigo wheel extensions, integy front discs etc etc etc. damn money pit

so far so good. No dramas with it after 6 months now.Nothing broke.Maybe im lucky? or the product is ok

That baja looks awsome, i would say you have spent a little more then a stock HPI 5b................................................ .................................................. .................................................. ...................................

But then i would also say it would thrash a stock hpi 5b baja, go faster then a stock hpi 5b baja, stop better then a stock hpi 5b baja, handle better then a stock hpi 5b baja, jump better then a stock hpi 5b baja and looks better then a stock hpi 5b baja
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .
I thrash the guts out of my km baja, smashed it good and proper quite a few times, sure theres been a few upgrades but it would be the same story if i had a hpi 5b baja!!!!!

Every stock part that brakes on a km baja will need to be upgraded/replaced on the HPI baja 5b anyway. Don't waste your $$$ on the Initial outlay

This post will probably be deleted by someone at hbf, becouse i say something good about the km baja. (like the rest of my posts on that forum)

Why would you buy an hpi baja??????????????????????????????????????????

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Rc-Slave; 11-10-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: coz i can
Rc-Slave is offline   Reply
Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #36
buggyguy

baja clones

hello there guys
i know im a new member on this forum and i was looking into the baja clones before i bought my dura trax firehammer and i would agree with the rest of the guys on this post about clones there are garbage and i have also heard if anything goes wrong with them after you buy them your pretty much stuck with it if anything happens to it
i just wanted to let you know about it
buggyguy
buggyguy is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #37
Robertm235

I just got a KM baja. I have a had a HPI rtr and SS and also have a FG. I can tell you 100% that the KM with pipe is easily as fast (probably faster) as the HPI rtr with pipe! The radio system is not so great and the servos suck but with the money I saved its well worth it!!!! I would definitely buy another one!! Anybody that tells you other wise has either never had a King Motor Baja and is just assuming they are junk or is just really mad they paid twice as much for the HPI! This is not a bash on HPI, I have always had good luck with them. I just saying that there is no reason to bash the KM just because HPI doesnt make it! just my thoughts!
Robertm235 is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #38
hellya

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htrdmx55 View Post
Ok just an update! As of today Kingmotor says $575.00 shipped to california.
Look on ebay now....$389 plus 89 ship....thats $480 shipped to anywhere in the USA.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-RC-GAS-POWE...3A1%7C294%3A50

you can get 2 km bajas for the price of 1 hpi baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyguy View Post
hello there guys
i know im a new member on this forum and i was looking into the baja clones before i bought my dura trax firehammer and i would agree with the rest of the guys on this post about clones there are garbage and i have also heard if anything goes wrong with them after you buy them your pretty much stuck with it if anything happens to it
i just wanted to let you know about it
buggyguy
I own alsmost every 1/5 vehicle made within the last 4 years...including the firehammer.

All.... I mean All 1/5 vehicles have weak spots....Non of them run without some type of problem occurring at some point... even HPI bajas have their weak spots (shock shafts, shock towers, bog bones and output cups, the stock diffs.)

So get whatever vehilce you want/can afford to get....just know that with any and all 1/5 vehicles you will be opening your wallet to get parts or buy upgrades ......thats just part of the nature of this $$$$ related hobby

Now get out there and bust some parts!!!!!

Last edited by hellya; 12-09-2008 at 08:32 PM.
hellya is offline   Reply
Old 12-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #39
csp1971

Trader Feedback: (3)
I'm not mad because I paid "twice" as much for a Baja. What I paid for was a non-copy. I paid for a warranty from a company that has a phone number with people to contact. I paid for an RC that I know will fit all the parts from the mfg's at HBF.

Buy what you want, it's a still a free country up until Jan 20. Just don't put words in Baja owner's mouths.
csp1971 is offline   Reply
Old 12-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #40
Robertm235

I didn't put words in baja's owners mouths! I am a baja owner. Its' real simple, just because HPI didn't make it, doesn't mean its junk. Thats the only point I was trying to make!! Some people cant afford to drop $1000 on a HPI. If they have to buy a "clone" for half the price and enjoy the hobby...good for them, more power to umm!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #41
csp1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertm235 View Post
I didn't put words in baja's owners mouths! I am a baja owner. Its' real simple, just because HPI didn't make it, doesn't mean its junk. Thats the only point I was trying to make!! Some people cant afford to drop $1000 on a HPI. If they have to buy a "clone" for half the price and enjoy the hobby...good for them, more power to umm!!
I can agree with that. I would be disappointed buying one and aftermarket parts not fitting. That's just me though. I've bought too many junk rc's in my life and would hate to go down that same path with something gas powered.

Do you race out at Timberline in Kansas?
csp1971 is offline   Reply
Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #42
hellya

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csp1971 View Post
I can agree with that. I would be disappointed buying one and aftermarket parts not fitting. That's just me though. I've bought too many junk rc's in my life and would hate to go down that same path with something gas powered.

Do you race out at Timberline in Kansas?

You wouldnt be dissapointed at all.....all HPI baja stock and hopup parts fit the KM baja clones

Look at this clone and all the hopups.... $385 for a 1/5 RC buggy..... You cant beat that!!!
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................

The KM Baja has been out now for about 8-9 months....I have yet to see 1 post on any forum... from a owner complaining about not being able to use HPI parts or aftermarket hopups or parts not fitting

Last edited by hellya; 12-11-2008 at 08:14 PM.
hellya is offline   Reply
Old 12-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #43
Robertm235

csp1971....I have not been able to make it out there yet. I actually only live about 30min from there. I live in Leawood. are you familiar with that area? We should try to get a few guys together and do some bashing. I cant wait til next season though. Cant wait to pick on some baja's with my redcat!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:41 AM   #44
ricobeds

Ordered mine Direct from KM

Just purchased a KM KSRC 001..Km had it to me for 380usd plus 110 shipping to the Philippines.I also added a KM tuned pipe for 35usd..all in all i've put in 525 usd for the KM KSRC 001.Looks pretty good deal for a 1/5 scale buggy....way to low from an HPI 5b..Even before I have a hand on my buggy , Im up to purchased hop ups for it.. arms, shock towers, high rpm clutch,etc.Estimate it will cost me about 200-300usd for the hop ups.That will be closed to the price of stock HPI baja SS. I bash pretty hard on my rc's so I will test the durability of this KSRC 001 engine and suspensions.But anyways,all stuff that has moving parts will eventually get its time to break ... the time only depends on you handling your toys...Ive got a a brandnew tmaxx 3.3 but it takes me less than a month to break a conrod due to excessiverev on the the engine.I replaced it with another brandnew 3.3 but this time it was well within its limit.Same with these HPI and Clone bajas.If you run em fast and reckless, you'll end up on your pocket. Yes these clones are made in China, but it doesnt mean that these is thrash.Look up to your computers, cameras cellphones and other stuff and see for yourself if the manufacturer is from the USA.... if you see one you hit the jackpot.HPI, Traxxas and other rc stuffs are made in Taiwan and some parts in China.....Nevertheless, if budget is not a problem... go for anything thast makes you happy... In this hobby... all we are longing for is happiness and satisfaction. http://www.largescaleforums.com/foru...lies/cool2.gif
ricobeds is offline   Reply
Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #45
Bigger the Better
LSF Plus Member

Look forward to your review!
Old 12-20-2008, 06:41 AM   #46
wefishtoo

You have seen my KM clone on here. Every part i have bought is advertised for the hpi 5b or ss including the 28.5 big bore kit and the dom pipe. The only km items i have bought are some spare rear foams and some spare wheel nuts, only 'cause they are less than 1/2 the hpi price.
wefishtoo is offline   Reply
Old 01-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #47
Noodle ed

Baja Clone 4x4

look at this bute

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963850
Noodle ed is offline   Reply
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #48
kikcaffine

You know what I find funny? All these people come on here saying that they can get a phone number to call and a warranty to have when the HPI baja breaks. A friend of mine has a 5b ss and the motor just would not start after 4 tanks through. Not jumped hard or abused for that matter (driven around a soccer field). When he called hpi they had him tear apart the engine and take pictures of the inside. They couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. Their response was sorry its not going to be warrantied bring it to a lawnmower shop and have them fix it. Seems like a crap answer for a product that costs almost 900 dollars. Im bidding on a KM 29cc baja right now, hopefully Ill win it and Ill write a big review on it.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply
Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #49
Trip

Sounds like a plan!! Let us know how it goes...
Trip is offline   Reply
Old 02-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #50
kikcaffine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Sounds like a plan!! Let us know how it goes...

RGR

Just paid for it a minute ago, the seller is located in south florida, im in Atlanta, so it shouldnt take but 2-3 days to get here.

Im looking forward to this because there is NO WAY it could cost any more than my HARM 1/5th scale. 350 dollars for a body....... 150 for decent tires...... Im so over that. lol.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply