Newbie Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulFWI

Hello fellows! I am interested in getting into RC cars and have 147 stupid questions! Will you bear with me?

Actually, it's not all that bad. I hope.

We have a large (4 acre) yard and I've decided to get 2-3 buggies and build a small dirt track in the back for the kids & I to have fun. (Kids are 9, 11, 13, 15.) I was going to do 1/8th nitro but am tempted to go gas because I like the smell and low-maintenance better than nitro (I used to do RC planes).

I was really set on getting kits so that we'd know how the cars work and could easily fix them, but have come across the Rovan buggies and the price is so tempting:

https://rovanrc.com/product/RV305A/?attribute_pa_color=black

Here are my questions:

- In what way are HPI and Rovan related? Was the HPI Baja the "original" and the Rovan a copy? I've read bits & pieces all over but not enough to put it all together.
- Is there any fundamental difference between kits and a RTD model like this one? I think they are built with the same parts, so it doesn't really matter - correct?
- If there's no difference in quality, what is the diff between this and a $750 HPI kit that still requires engine & radio?
- I have seen comments that the Rovan is not as "tough" as HPI. Is that true? Can this buggy take jumping?
- What are some of the best sources for HPI-compatible parts, *and* the best sources for "high-end" gas tweaking like engines, pipes, etc?
- Do the big cars tend to get damaged a lot more than 1/8th nitro, and are the parts a lot more expensive? I'm wondering if these big cars might be a little much for the younger kids.

Thanks!
I've learned a good deal from searches here already but appreciate input still.

Last edited:
Yes the Rovan Baja's are copies or clones of the HPI.

The HPI kit is a very nice kit, I put one together last year, went electric ( pic in sig ). The parts between the HPI and Rovans can work on both cars. The HPI parts are better in my opinion. The HPI kit and other parts are expensive for sure. I do think the the kit is very good and worth the money. Even with the added expenses of motor/radio gear. IMO the diff/trans is better in the HPI by a long shot.

I have the Rovan Baja with the 30.5cc motor you linked and it has been a very good car so far. For the price they are hard to beat IMO. Right now you can get one for $450 shipped.
I jump my Baja's and the Rovan has held tough so far. I did bend the frame when I did a nose dive with it. Fixed in the garage vice. If you get one of these, Rovan or HPI get a brace for the front. Something like this. https://www.ddmracing.com/Scorpion-Unlimited-Front-Stiffener-for-HPI-Baja-5b-SP230T First one I found, many makes out there.

Lots of parts sources for these things. Daves discount motors ( DDM ), Detroit Performance and a host of others.

Depends on what parts brake. "A" arms and such are really not bad. The car/s will get damage, they always do. Not hitting stuff is the trick, lol.

I myself would worry about kids getting hit by one of the cars. Baja's are like 30 pounds and move along pretty good.

Nitro is a pain. Nitro fuel is expensive. Glow plugs are expensive.

If you go Baja get a real HPI will save you. Money, and headaches in the long run. The clones are hit or miss, more miss in my opinion. You’ll end up putting real hpi parts on the Baja when the clone parts break, quite quickly.

Go electric where theirs so many of you. Bajas up keep can get pricy. I’ve got thousands into my Baja. Upgrades are expensive but make them durable.

I have 2 granite blx 3s trucks. Mine and my stepson. AWESOME, super fun, fast and crazy tough. Plus 3 modes to slow the vehicle down if needed or extra run time.

But just my opinion.

Last edited:
Nitro is a pain. Nitro fuel is expensive. Glow plugs are expensive.

If you go Baja get a real HPI will save you. Money, and headaches in the long run. The clones are hit or miss, more miss in my opinion. You’ll end up putting real hpi parts on the Baja when the clone parts break, quite quickly.

Go electric where theirs so many of you. Bajas up keep can get pricy. I’ve got thousands into my Baja. Upgrades are expensive but make them durable.

I have 2 granite blx 3s trucks. Mine and my stepson. AWESOME, super fun, fast and crazy tough. Plus 3 modes to slow the vehicle down if needed or extra run time.

But just my opinion.

I prefer Nitro over electric but that is just me.
The smoke , the smell and the sound can not be replaced by electric.
It is a pain maintenance wise but if you have a good tune up and some understanding how it works it isn't that bad in my opinion.

Sure electric has it's place. Maybe for someone that is younger or just starting out and certainly in the crawler side of the hobby.
Fuel isn't cheap but I just figure it just part of doing business , just like any other hobby or sport. If I am having fun doing what I enjoy than the cost doesn't even come into play.

Just an old gear-head thinking out loud here.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks