⚠️ Updated plug chart ⚠️

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'll fill you in on reading plugs in a two stroke. The only accurate way to do so is the cut the plug in half, or the threads off of it. Additionally depending on the additives in the fuel, and oil will give different results as well at the tip. This is one of the greatest misconceptions about reading a plug. This guy goes into detail about plugs. Cheers.
Edit: here's another video. Goes a bit more in depth in how to read a plug before and after a chop test. And again I'll stress the plug needs cut to see if its lean or rich.

Last edited:
what you need is an EGT sensor ( exhaust gas temp.) with a remote that reads it ! check on Kart motor systems
Eh if I want to read egt's I'd take a cranked up diesel for a ride....this is just r.c cars were talking about here. No need to go overboard with something ment to be fun and EGT isn't a wide band gauge

Why not you guys seems ot go crazy on most things LOL ! actually EGT is a thermocouple so it has a very wide temp. band.
I'm suprised I haven;t seen a GOLD plated motor yet !!!!

Last edited:
Why not you guys seems ot go crazy on most things LOL ! actually EGT is a thermocouple so it has a very wide temp. band.
you got me confused I don't have a baller rig...and yes gauges are nice but sometimes using your eyeballs to read a plug means more to me then reading a display

Pulled this off the interwebs a while back. Can't remember from where. Handy reference for what section of a plug to look at for what information you need.
Screenshot_20221127-163047_Samsung Internet.jpg
We've had some discussion with the cheaper guys about chopping the plug, and you can use a magnifier and light to see down to the base instead of doing a chop. I don't find it as easy to see, so I'll happily give up a $4.00 plug. Just need to remember top end reading need a new plug, inserted into a fully warmed up engine, ran at wide open throttle and the engine shut off at wide open throttle! This is paramount for an accurate top end tune reading.

A spark plug viewer works good and you don't have to be cutting plugs apart to read them. It allows you to see at the bottom of the porcelain area. We use these all the time on our race engines.
You can also use the same style light a doctor uses for looking in your ears , available at most drug stores.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks