1:5 New Shell - New Look.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atom3624

What do you think of the new look to my 1:5 chassis?
(Don't worry, the McLaren is in very safe storage!!!!)

Al.

Attachments

• PICT0119 Small.jpg
    PICT0119 Small.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 79
  • PICT0120 Small.jpg
    PICT0120 Small.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 64
  • PICT0121 Small.jpg
    PICT0121 Small.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 67
  • PICT0122 Small.jpg
    PICT0122 Small.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 71
  • PICT0123 Small.jpg
    PICT0123 Small.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 51
It's a Carson body mate.
They're on Ebay.de every 2-3 weeks - go for ~80-100 Euros.
One problem I've had is the holes are NOT perfectly centred, so you have to play with the mount positions a tad ...
I've made a front centre mount, as this basically pulls the shell into shape and line.
Paint is by Mark - fantastic job mate!!
Wheels and centres from the same supplier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180868462432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Al.

Not a big ferrari fan but that looks really good, and a great buy money wise at that. Kind of sick of seeing the usual bodies even though I don't have a shell for my on-road yet, the big sedans are ugly IMO and I hate bmw.

Not a big ferrari fan but that looks really good, and a great buy money wise at that. Kind of sick of seeing the usual bodies even though I don't have a shell for my on-road yet, the big sedans are ugly IMO and I hate bmw.

If you look at the FG on-road section, there's a thread on alternative bodies.
I found a couple of sites with the BMW 3.0 CSL 'Batmobile', Opel Commodore, Renault Alpine, Ferrari 458 (sorry 'GT1')!
There's also a Zakspeed Capri out there - with or without the 'scoop' nose.
Thanks for the appraisal. It was quite hard work - mainly by Mark of Outlaw Graphics to start with, then getting it mounted properly.

I don't know if Carson are still like this, but it appears the older shells were a little 'too tolerant' with hole positioning!
It explains some of my criticisms of initial viewing of this bodyshell as mounted by others - it's not something you generally think of, not should have to - poor centring of the holes.

Al.

very nice atom huge ferrari fan me i do think it should be rosso red but it looks great in red bull colours sweet and a nice find,,makes me want a new shell im gagging for the csl batmoble

If you see the shell 'in the flesh' it's even better - it's light blue 'metal flake' !!

Come on Barry, I remember I pushed you to get the Batmobile in the first place. Nothing against the M3, but ..... do the deed mate, you know you want to !!! :D:D:D:D:rolleyes:

Al.

As I've indicated above, this shell IS NOT FG Modellsport.
It's from a limited run of Carson, but is still available from the site mentioned every 2-3 weeks.
The bodyshell is superb, perhaps a little thin - great for racers - but of good quality.
Mounting is not straightforward.
The advantage over the FG shell is that the front cover body part includes the 'headlamp lenses' which go over moulded light pods.
This I have used to mount 10mm led's.

Al.

mate if it wasnt for the fact ive just rebuilt the bug and brought the on road i would the bm shells near new so got plenty of time but when the bm starts hanging off the car then im going to find the csl and it will be a replica of the iconic batmoble best bmw race car ever

nice one Alan :)

is it all paint or paint and stickers:cool:

K....

Hi Keith, many thanks ...
Here's the big one ......
Sticker for the front Ferrari badge - I have an enamel one somewhere, but have (temporarily?) lost it - and stuck on 3D prancing horse on the back .... THE REST IS ALL PAINTED - Mark of Outlaw Graphics did an amazing job - once again, many thanks - I know I didn't give you an easy ride, but thanks for being so receptive, and, basically, so talented!!

Al.

A quick update.
If you look at the photos, the wiper LOOKS nicely detailed, but doesn't sit nicely on the screen - it's straight and the screen's curved.
An easy answer would be to park it vertically, but when I look at the photos of the originals, they're parked like normal wipers.
I located M2x10mm black plastic pan head screws, with black washers and nuts, and drill though just the wiper blade top/middle/bottom, and the corresponding positions in the windscreen. Result is it is held properly, and not that visibly.
Just a detail, but makes the difference.

I took it out and actually fired up the G240 without too many problems.
The tyres held up reasonably well to my now-typical donut technique for warming up, until I realised it wasn't sitting properly! I'd blown both rears off the wheels!! :(:eek:
They're stuck on using the HPI Racing tyre glue, which is thin - I usually use the Proline medium. I was blaming the glue until I looked more closely. The plastic wheels are chrome plated, and the tyres actually pulled off the chrome plating!! :eek::D:eek:
It's all re-glued up now, and I've left 3 days for any 'curing' (should normally be just overnight), so I'll probably have another go over the next couple of days.

I've firmed up the front suspension a little, and re-lowered it as I had to bend the side mounts up slightly to get the alignment right.
All looks good now.

Al.

Omg thats freakin awesome! I was lookin at your avatar and thinking how cool is that (when you said welcome to me) and then I stumbled on this thread :):):)

Thanks mate.
The detailing on the shell is excellent. The alignment of the holes isn't!!
It's needed quite a bit of 'fettling' but it's looking great.
No, I'm not a racer, but I don't have shelf queens either, so it will get used quite a bit!
Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks