1/5 SCT brushless setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfish1247

At tax time, I'm going to get a SCT something and make it brushless. Here's my questions

1. Rovan or Losi roller, or get a losi frame and get the drivetrain to handle the motor? I've seen quite a few companies making tougher than stock drivetrain parts.

2. Its for bashing only, so how would I spend wisely? Not cheap, but I don't want to just throw money around.

3. Motor\esc, I'm thinking castle xl2 combo. Mgm, big bucks, but no experience with them, have read rave reviews.

3b. Just for the sake of asking, how about dual motor\esc. Couple of 150a esc's and equivalent motors, or stick with a 2028 or lehner?

4. Dual steering servos or 1? If dual, would 2 savox sa-1230 sgs turn the wheels good. The only single I've seen and would think adequate is the hitec 1000. I am more than open to suggestions.

5. Rcmadness single motor mount, reviews say its good. Or if dual motor, is the Kershaw mount a good choice? I've seen others but I'm clueless.

I'm not a total newb on this, but its uncharted territory for me. I just want a fun,reliable(as can be anyways) rc. Budget up front is $3000, I don't mind waiting to get more money to buy better parts vs buying cheaper and breaking down, then spending more.

Thanks in advance. I put this here since I didn't just say losi 5ive.

Take some advice it's a hard build and if you know nothing of them it may end like most put together and run one time and broken sitting on a shelf
Weighing on parts
Get a RTR and drive it and have fun then after your feet are on the ground start your build
Yes it's $200 to $400 more this way but at least you can run it
And you may find that gas is a blast
If not start your build

Waiting on parts is the story of my life. No lhs support at all(except traxxas)

The 3 rc's I have are brushless and I like the fact of plug it up,flip the switch, off you go. I tried the nitro several years ago, did not like the lack of oomph off the line. The vids I've seen, gas seems the same way.

I know its going to be expensive,tedious, and so on. I see where you're coming from, but I'm going to put one together.

With 3k you can have any truck you want and rig it how you like. Have you seen the 5ive in person yet? It's MASSIVE! Awesome truck that I would personally love to have. Dual servo all the way. Cheaper to replace if you brake one or both..... IDK if it would be cheaper in the long run to build from parts, I'd just buy a new roller and upgrade what you want and save the stock parts as spares.... The way I see it after your done building you should know every in and out of the truck trouble shooting should be a breeze. Tons of info and help online so I don't see why you will have a problem. Chit since april I've gone from barely being able to turn a screw driver to rebuilding motors ect.... Good luck and start a build thread when you get started.

Nothings cheap pulling this stunt,lol. Its not any cheaper, but I'll have a stout frame to handle the lehner motor. Might as well drop $1050 on a motor\esc. No sense building a kenworth just to lay an iron duke between the rails.

I've asked this elsewhere, but instead of a sacrificial connector(anti spark), why not use one of those kill switches for a race car instead? They are not expensive and are meant to be closed with full draw instantly. I've seen them rated at 1000a, just wonder the resistance.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks