Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Large Scale RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Large Scale RC!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2 speed gear box?

Discussion in 'FG Marder and FG Baja Buggies' started by CALIC, Nov 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. CALIC

CALIC Well-Known Member

HI ALL!

Just wanted 2 know if i need 2 add any other partes to my fg baja engine if i change the gear box to 2speed? And will it make big diffrence in speed?

Thanks

2. Crazy Beetle

Crazy Beetle Well-Known Member

forgett the 2 speed gearbox. it will probobly give you more problems than
    it will give you joy.
    2 speed gear boxes inn offf road cars is not a god combination.

if you switch the little gear wheel behind the engin from 14 teeth ot 16 yeeth it will give som mor topp speed.
    if you want i to be quicker and more responsiv skip the Baja wheels and replace them with a set of Marder Race wheels.
    the Marder Race wheels have a smaler diameter ad they ar much lighter.
    less rotational mass will give you a quicker car.

3. mooman007uk

mooman007uk Well-Known Member

I run a 2 speed in my fg baja, never given me any problems apart from the catch pin in the 2nd gear hub snaps, easy fix though drill out the hub and press fit in a bigger pin, I use a cut down shock pin ...setting up is a breeze and having the ability to gear for both bottom end acceration and top speed without compromise is what it's all about.
    I'm running 48/16 1st and 44/20 2nd with a 16t layshaft gear and it's the dogs bollocks off road. from personal experience i'd say get one, you wont be disapointed.

2speed needs no other parts to work but i would get alloy engine mounts and gear carrier if you don't have those already.

#3 mooman007uk, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. [AK]Zip

[AK]Zip Well-Known Member

I am 100% with you on this one. I have one in my FG Baja and it hasn't been any problems at all.

5. masterblaster

masterblaster Active Member

How much better is having a 2 speed? I mean will you spank a buggy without it? I have an fg 4wd baja and will get one if I think the added performance is worth it.

6. Ducky

Ducky Well-Known Member

I like the 2-speed on my MT as I get the excellent pick up and the improved top speed, however even with a stock 26cc and a pipe the thing is dangerous and I've not got it fully flat out as yet, so how much speed does someone really need.....

7. dc2 man

dc2 man Reading the Rules!

hello

do you think he needs the hassle of fixing a two speed?,i would be for and against on this one,don't like plastic gears at all,and i wonder is the overall benefit worth the hassle of a two speed.

but on the other hand the guys here swear by them here such as mooman ,ducky and akzip so what the hell go for it if you think you should,the cars look a lot quicker with them and sure you wont know unless you try one..

there are pro's and cons to everything in the r/c game.

you could also try as crazy beetle says for less grief change gear ratios and some slight mods,you could get a new engine head kit.

check out the thread here (fg gears/pinions/ratios)

8. clevetbs

clevetbs Active Member

I need some help... i don't ever hear mine shifting at all but i followed the instruction to the letter...
    here are some pics of my setup...

Attached Files:

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Member

Hey buddy. Did you ever get this sorted.? I am having the same issue. Logically I can’t see how this gear clutch can work given the direction of the rotation and according to diagram. Is it that the back of the finger rest on the pin.
    Thanks

10. Wolle

Wolle Member

Hello,
    it is important that the arm will not click into the pin, the arm will have to lay on the pin to engage the clutch into the second gear.
    So the screw to hold the disc on the axle is on 12 o´clock and the adjusting screw is on 11 o´clock to have the right possition.
    To find out when the second gear will engage is easy, remove the second gear on the layshaft (the one close to the gear plate) and build it like normal togher (only gear missing)
    Lift the car and hold with a tie rap the carrier that he cant turn, then give a bit more gas till the second gear will move than you will know at what rpm the second gear will work. If you turn in the adjusting screw then the second gear will come by more rpm and if you turn out the screw it will engage earlier.
    Hope you can understand what I want to say, because English is not my native language.
    Wolle

11. Benjamin

Benjamin Member

Tha
    hey buddy and thanks for the quick response. I fully understand. Thank god your English ain’t that cause the engineers at FG jobs may have been at risk. Lol.