2 Stroke Oil???? Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phunki101

Hi there all,

I'm currently running a normal 2 stroke oil for chain saws, strimmers and mopeds etc but mixed properly in the right ratios as per instructions, BUT, my question is...... can you use Castrol 'R' (or similar) 2 stroke oil as used on Racing Go Karts.......I just love the smell!!!!

Or is it not suitable for our 1/5th 30cc's ????:confused:

just wondered!

I use castrol r in my fg all the time, it's even found its way into my chainsaw.
Smells great and is an extremely good lubricant.

Castrol a747 is the stuff to use

Last edited by a moderator:
Which oil is a long running question. I don't think there are any really 'bad' oils out there just some that are better than others. Castrol R will be probably be better than a standard chainsaw oil. Its a 2 stroke engine so find a decent oil which is readily available near you and stick with it. Fully synthetic is the way to go these days especially for a tuned engine but castor oil or semi synthetic are still good for a stock engine.

remember not to use fully synthetic oil if you have used castor based oil in your engine as it will produce a black sticky gunge........clean out your engine first,ideal would be to strip it down to clean out the castor oil ;):D before using the synthetic

K....

na2unavy.jpg

This.....

Ok so I get the oil thing as not a huge deal on brand for a stock engine. My question is more of the mix ratio. Im new to this 5th scale buggy thing and have used lots of 2 stroke in my life. If I get a synthetic or semi synthetic oil do I mix it as said on the mixing instructions for the buggy or what it says to do for that oil. How does the standard 2 stroke compare to these engines. Thanks

Stick to 25:1 and you're fine.
You can go to 32:1 if you use a good quality oil - don't go higher.

Weed whacker engines on which these are based are lower revving so can get away with 40-50:1 - don't use this ratio for the higher revving engines we use.

Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks