24:1 gas and oil mix help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Cabral

Hey all,

I'm new here. I own a losi five t and it's my first 5th scale RC. When I was pouring a liter of gas, spilt. So I wasn't sure how much gas I added additionally. It was close to 1L before the little spill I had.

After that I added 40ml of oil. Some of it didn't go through this funnel I used. It had a filter on it, so it struggled to go through :S. After that, I added 2 more squirts of the oil and sealed the jug. Shook it and now it's ready to go. I'm assuming I'm using 24:1. The oil bottle I have looks like I used 42-43ml. Will the extra oil hurt the engine during break in??

Thanks in advance :)

It might make it very slightly smoky, but 2-3 mL in 40 shouldn't make much difference.
I would possibly check the tuning. Might want to lean it slightly, to prevent oiling the plug.

Al.
Hmmm I thought I'm not suppose to tune it yet for the first break in period? If oil hits the spark plug, can I fix this? Or should I add a bit more gas to the jug in case? Or just leave it as is and run it. Hopefully the little oil doesn't bother it. I'd assume it would help no? More lube to the engine during break in?

See from the image. Maybe 2ml extra I added to the jug. This oil came with 100ml.

Attachments

• 20160918_031459.jpg
    20160918_031459.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 6
There are plenty of tuning videos.
Many don't even 'break in gently' the weed whacker motors, unless they're highly tuned race-specific ones.
GENERALLY it's best to check the carburettor settings - none are precisely identical, nor is it THAT critical to get precisely right.
1/ 1/4 low / 1 1/2 high is roughly right.
If it's a little smoky I'd probably leave it. If it's a bit more, then as you've set the carburettor, then possibly lean a very little bit.
If you've set the carb and it's very smoky, then either add a little fuel to adjust to 25:1 or simply ditch and remix - it is possible that 43 mL might have been 53 mL for example.

Al.

Remember, don't panic, at the end of the day its just a weed eater. Treat it all the same, BUT with Synthetic oil and engine life will provide hours of fun.

Tuning to me is second in the list, if you really really want to break in, just easy on the motor. For the first and maybe second tank, easy on the throttle, no WOT runs. And this is not only because of the engine, all the parts all over the car, ball bearings, hubs, dog bones, are finding its place, let them bind during those first tanks. Because this is so true, every new RC, is tight as a ... (nevermind), but once a few hardcore sessions are put into it, then its loose as a... JA JA

don't stress it, do another mix, have a few spark plugs handy and enjoy your new toy.

If the mix is not right, and has too much smoke advising to lean out is NOT a good idea at all.
And tuning is at 1/16 adjustments...
My gold rules, never ever go leaner than 1-1/4 on H and L.

Remember, don't panic, at the end of the day its just a weed eater. Treat it all the same, BUT with Synthetic oil and engine life will provide hours of fun.

Tuning to me is second in the list, if you really really want to break in, just easy on the motor. For the first and maybe second tank, easy on the throttle, no WOT runs. And this is not only because of the engine, all the parts all over the car, ball bearings, hubs, dog bones, are finding its place, let them bind during those first tanks. Because this is so true, every new RC, is tight as a ... (nevermind), but once a few hardcore sessions are put into it, then its loose as a... JA JA

don't stress it, do another mix, have a few spark plugs handy and enjoy your new toy.

If the mix is not right, and has too much smoke advising to lean out is NOT a good idea at all.
And tuning is at 1/16 adjustments...
My gold rules, never ever go leaner than 1-1/4 on H and L.
It was a successful run :) I was driving the truck half throttle. Went off a few bumps. So much fun! I was very tempted to go full throttle, but didn't lol. I did go through a puddle, and mud was all over the truck. To clean it, I had to use a hose. So I sprayed the truck. Later on in the day, I noticed squeaking when I push the truck up and down. After checking everything. I noticed rust starting and certain screws. So I removed the steering rod and dog bones and clean them with WD 40. I also cleaned the screws I saw rusted with the WD 40. So far so good. The front left arm has a tiny squeak when pushing the truck up and down. I'll look into that eventually. But way better than before.

Question though... The center spur gear had some sort of grease on it. I assume the pinion gear has gear too. Both gears are metal. I hope the water didn't start rusting the spur gear and pinion gear. Shouldn't the grease prevent the rust from starting? I did notice grease on the floor of the truck, under the spur gear and pinion gear. So I had to clean that as well.

Overall... Awesome truck! :)

The grease is coming out of the center diff, look at attached pic.

Possibly loose bolts, or bad diff seal (very rare) and grease spitting out under load.
Did you do a complete teardown of the truck, or at least the diffs and inspect they have sufficient oil and to check everything is locktite?
I went F-C-R, 7K/10K/5K with a tad-bit of marine grease on all of them.
Carry to the field 40WD or silicone spray (its a cleaner imo and leaves less residue), and every tank or so spray on the hub bearings and at the dog bones ends.

Watch on youtube Teamfasteddy, here is a start;

Attachments

• 20151216_185549.jpg
    20151216_185549.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 7
The grease is coming out of the center diff, look at attached pic.

Possibly loose bolts, or bad diff seal (very rare) and grease spitting out under load.
Did you do a complete teardown of the truck, or at least the diffs and inspect they have sufficient oil and to check everything is locktite?
I went F-C-R, 7K/10K/5K with a tad-bit of marine grease on all of them.
Carry to the field 40WD or silicone spray (its a cleaner imo and leaves less residue), and every tank or so spray on the hub bearings and at the dog bones ends.

Watch on youtube Teamfasteddy, here is a start;
Damn. I have no idea if it's leaking or not. I called the hobby shop I bought it from and they said it should be normal for the spur gear and pinon gear to have grease because it's metal on metal. Maybe to reduce heat? I've never opened up the center diff before.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks