32cc engine will not start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisBlue233

Hello All,

I recently upgraded the carb to a performance one but after using it for a while (didn't have choke or primer bulb) I got sick of putting a bag over the air filter to start it every time to try and choke it. The motor has about 15-20 hours on it and the last time I was running it with the aftermarket carb, it randomly died in the middle of the field. Couldn't get it to start so I figured maybe it was the carb. Pulled the plug and grounded it to see if it had spark and I could see strong spark in the Arizona sun so I knew the plug was still good. I'm using an NGK Iridium IX plug and it has a good tan color to it. I tried swapping the carbs to the stock one with the choke and primer bulb (wanted to anyways) and I got the primer bulb full of gas and went to choke it. After pulling on it at least 50+ times, I gave up. Tried using some carb cleaner spray, brand new air filter, reset the needles, double checked the spark plug, and when I pull on it I can smell gas out of the exhaust so I know it is getting fuel. Tried it again today and nothing. Checked all the seals and there are no leaks. I even took the exhaust off to look inside and there was a slight scratch on the piston right below the piston ring facing the exhaust port but it didn't look deep at all. Everything else looked fine. I run 40:1 with Royal Purple full synthetic 2-stroke oil.

Are pull starts supposed to have some resistance to them? I never paid attention to how much resistance the motor had when it was new but I can take my pinky finger and pull the starter rope all the way up without any trouble whatsoever. Starting to think something is wrong with the compression. What else should I look for? Should I get a compression gauge and if so, where should it be at? I have no problem doing a top end rebuild I just want to be sure I have tried everything before taking it apart. Maybe I ran it with too little oil content.

Im with @crucialRC my redcat died like that and I ended up smoking the top end...sorry to say it. And your assumption is correct you lost compression.. i pulled the pull start till my hand bled.. the motor is cooked and yes resistance, I can pick the back end of my 5t up with the pull start

Last edited:
Im with @crucialRC my redcat died like that and I ended up smoking the top end...sorry to say it. And your assumption is correct you lost compression.. i pulled the pull start till my hand bled.. the motor is cooked
Looks like clone of the Zenoah G320RC motor. I’ll probably replace it with a genuine zenoah. Yeah probably smoked it sadly enough the clone wasn’t good

@crucialRC I agree. Thats my current issue with the redcat. The junk carb thats in it is finicky and If i prime it more than twice its flooded and won't start... im just bitter with China flooding the market with knock off stuff. When I got my redcat I was like hell yea big 5th scale. Then I got my 5ive t and now im embarrassed of the redcat ?

sorry i did some editing since you posted lol...and i have a disdain toward clone engines..i learned my lesson with clone engines. Its cost me more to keep th cy going then just dropping a zenoah in my redcat
I have the Exceed so pretty similar to the Redcat line and I know it’s a clone. The rest of the car works great but when it comes to the engine it’s trash. Since I’m taking the whole thing out I am going to get an actual Zenoah G320RC. I’m not going to do a rebuild just to do another one again in a few months.

I have the Exceed so pretty similar to the Redcat line and I know it’s a clone. The rest of the car works great but when it comes to the engine it’s trash. Since I’m taking the whole thing out I am going to get an actual Zenoah G320RC. I’m not going to do a rebuild just to do another one again in a few months.
Make sure to just get a long block. Save yourself some coin.

@crucialRC I agree. Thats my current issue with the redcat. The junk carb thats in it is finicky and If i prime it more than twice its flooded and won't start... im just bitter with China flooding the market with knock off stuff. When I got my redcat I was like hell yea big 5th scale. Then I got my 5ive t and now im embarrassed of the redcat ?
Did you have an issue with the rubber gasket melting between the exhaust pipe joint?
Make sure to just get a long block. Save yourself some coin.
Any that you recommend?

Your doing the right thing..i don't know much about exceed but I've seen some poor reviews on them but it depends on the person's skill level with any rc. But if the rngine bothers you give the car a chance and put a real engine in it (y).. my rampage xt does good other than the engine and I too will replace it down the road
yea just tried some ultra copper rtv at the slip joint. Its been raining here so haven't tried it. But it sounds like your coupler is close to the head like mine so yea you will burn them up every other outting...

Your doing the right thing..i don't know much about exceed but I've seen some poor reviews on them but it depends on the person's skill level with any rc. But if the rngine bothers you give the car a chance and put a real engine in it (y).. my rampage xt does good other than the engine and I too will replace it down the road
yea just tried some ultra copper rtv at the slip joint. Its been raining here so haven't tried it. But it sounds like your coupler is close to the head like mine so yea you will burn them up every other outting
Yeah I had to scrap the electronics and now the engine those were the worst in the reviews. It was a gift I’ll be getting something better later on

gift is good atleast your not completely upside down in it..if you don't mind me asking what model is it? I never knew exceed made a 5th scale rig
https://www.nitrorcx.com/newrtrexrcba1.html
gift is good atleast your not completely upside down in it..if you don't mind me asking what model is it? I never knew exceed made a 5th scale rig
BE8EB21D-EC18-449D-81D0-DFA63836526E.jpeg
Simple Compression test
1. remove spark plug
2. stick finger or thumb in the sparkplug hole
3. pull cord

If your finger does NOT pop out you are screwed ! benn using thisa test for 40 yrs never failed
I just did yeah it doesn't pop out lol

I would stuff some copper rtv in there and see how you do. Mines a little closer to the head than that and with that style j think your very limited with material type

Im not sure your going to find another pipe brand for an exceed unless its a one off? I maybe wrong...and @Z.hb71 do you know if cy stuff swaps over to a zenoah LB

Also @ChrisBlue233 that pipe resembles a hpi baja pipe?
I read that at one point from people who have the exceed. The HPI Baja pipe and the aftermarket pipes for it fit on the exceed.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks