4 cylinder 170 CC 4 stroke motor using a Losi 5ive drivetrain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxtoft

OK here is my new project.
After having done the first twin motor in a HPI Baja in the world back in 2007 it seems time for a new project and not just the further development of the former.

So here we go.

This project is based on a 4 cylinder 4 stroke boxer motor from the company Rotomotor. It is 170 CC, so it will kick some ass even it is only a 4 stroke. I am guessing is will be like a 85 CC in power, but with a momentum the is way better.
The motor is this one.

_vyr_37170FS-2_zpshda6zhnd.jpg

It runs from 500 to 5500 RPM with a 40 cm 300 g propeller. I am going to modify it with a flywheel, clutch system and starter system rotating about 1000 g to keep the inertia.
It will be cooled by a custom cooling system.
The clutch system will be a Pro MX 70 mm, housing both the clutch and the flywheel. From this there will be a gearing of about 3:2 to the drive train
The drive train will be from a Losi 5ive, upgraded as much as possible, with alu gear boxer and other parts like the dog bones and cups.
All will be welded into a custom frame.

This is a sponsored project.
The current list of sponsors are:

Rotomotor
MMR Modeltech
FG-Hobby
DDM
Innovative RC
Hostile
PhatDad
RC4WD
RC Motor

Here are some photos from the early deveopment of the starter system, flywheel and clutch system mounted on the motor. All printed in PLA to test fit.
Now I am just waiting on parts from the machinist.
IMG_2344_zps7nw4ckc5.jpg
IMG_2345_zpsghkc9kzi.jpg
IMG_2346_zpsswe3twzg.jpg
IMG_2347_zpsmtrixtox.jpg
IMG_2348_zpsotsfj1gu.jpg

Yes it fits is a Losi 5ive with the parts I designed.
Actually it is not that big with the hub comes off.
There is no need to make a special frame like I am doing. It will bolt on to a standard Losi bottom plate with some extra holes.

I have been thinking about a Conley many times and I have spoken to them, but it requires a large cooler and water tank or it will only run short runs.
I have done water cooling before as I was the first to build a twin into a Baja. It can be done, but it is more complex than air cooling.

Wow.....with the right exhaust that will sound fierce!!!!
I don't know why the thumbs down showed up...I can't get rid of it.....I think this is an awesome build...can't wait to hear it run
there we go...got it....thumbs up lol

Any news on this? Wondering how the project is coming along I love seeing innovation in the hobby. Even if it's just for demonstrating purposes or not. Gets the wheels turning for practical upgrades or new products all together.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks