5ive-T noob questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjagaiden

Folks,

I've been building and running electric RC cars for 30 years now, and I just branched out and got the 5ive-T as my first gas model. I maidened it at the weekend and was really impressed with how well mannered it was - even my 5 year old son could drive it. Coming from leccys the noise and smoke gives it a real visceral feel compared to sanitised brushless systems!

Anyhow, I have two simple but related questions.

Firstly, Is it okay to leave the battery connected whilst transporting the vehicle? I find it easier to fit battery with the body off. If I can fuel and fit battery at home and then sling in the car, I can pull start with the body on.

Secondly, does the engine need battery power for starting and running? I know absolutely nothing about 2 stroke engines, and can't work out if the engine has a battery connection running underneath.

Many thanks

N

Folks,

I've been building and running electric RC cars for 30 years now, and I just branched out and got the 5ive-T as my first gas model. I maidened it at the weekend and was really impressed with how well mannered it was - even my 5 year old son could drive it. Coming from leccys the noise and smoke gives it a real visceral feel compared to sanitised brushless systems!

Anyhow, I have two simple but related questions.

Firstly, Is it okay to leave the battery connected whilst transporting the vehicle? I find it easier to fit battery with the body off. If I can fuel and fit battery at home and then sling in the car, I can pull start with the body on.

Secondly, does the engine need battery power for starting and running? I know absolutely nothing about 2 stroke engines, and can't work out if the engine has a battery connection running underneath.

Many thanks

N

Hi there.

Your thoughts and observations are precisely what keeps us from going to electric - time and a place ....

Generally, always keep the battery disconnected when not in use / in transit.

ALWAYS connect the battery before Tx on, Rx on, Engine on.
Reverse for shutting down.

If there's no power to the servos, they may not be zeroed and the throttle may be at half power setting or more - a tad dangerous!!
Al.

OK. That makes sense.

Don't get me wrong - I love my brushless too. I have an E-revo (1/8 and 1/16), OFNA GTP2e, and a TC5. The thing I like with the gas engine on this scale is that it's all nice and calm and controlled, and nothing feels like it is on the edge of tolerance. I mean, running 10s on a Mamba XL2 - you've got to watch for stripped gears, blown out tires, balancing 4 lipo packs and putting serious current through your electrics : it's all on tolerance and if anything goes you know it is going to be expensive. You get to the end of a 10 minute run because you are petrified of over-juicing your costly LIPOs and you think - there by the grace of God I didn't damage anything today.

Just my two pennies worth!

OK. That makes sense.

Don't get me wrong - I love my brushless too. I have an E-revo (1/8 and 1/16), OFNA GTP2e, and a TC5. The thing I like with the gas engine on this scale is that it's all nice and calm and controlled, and nothing feels like it is on the edge of tolerance. I mean, running 10s on a Mamba XL2 - you've got to watch for stripped gears, blown out tires, balancing 4 lipo packs and putting serious current through your electrics : it's all on tolerance and if anything goes you know it is going to be expensive. You get to the end of a 10 minute run because you are petrified of over-juicing your costly LIPOs and you think - there by the grace of God I didn't damage anything today.

Just my two pennies worth!

..... and that's after 15-20 minutes only!!
I've a highly modded 6S LiPo stretched E-Maxx, 1/16 E-Revo ..... as well.
What happens generally if you run the LargeScale too long ...?
You run out of fuel, and have to top up, and/or change the Rx pack (4Ah+ Rx packs should do a couple of hours without problem) but that's it!!
Easy.
Al.

A simple answer to you questions.
You can transport to car with the battery connected. The motors don't have any power going to them from you battery pack.. You can start you car without power by moving your throttle servo manually. But not recommended

See my comment in #2 for the 'safe, correct' way.
If you choose differently, your call.
DO NOT fire up without being certain the servos (particularly throttle) are in the correct position. If there's no tension on the servo and you're happy it's in the correct position, then happy days.
Why not avoid all the doubts, just Connect Battery, Tx on, Rx on, fire up - simples!!
Al.

See my comment in #2 for the 'safe, correct' way.
If you choose differently, your call.
DO NOT fire up without being certain the servos (particularly throttle) are in the correct position. If there's no tension on the servo and you're happy it's in the correct position, then happy days.
Why not avoid all the doubts, just Connect Battery, Tx on, Rx on, fire up - simples!!
Al.

+1 Al, Tx on, Rx on, double check trim settings fire up (keep it safe) iv seen to many disasters with all types of rc models being helicoptors, planes, or cars, electric or petrol

A simple answer to you questions.
You can transport to car with the battery connected. The motors don't have any power going to them from you battery pack.. You can start you car without power by moving your throttle servo manually. But not recommended

if your running a killerbee killswitch a battery will be needed to start the vehicle

And with a vehicle this big and heavy not to mention expensive a kill switch should be a must. You shouldn't even drive it without.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks