5SC axle boot replacements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigfla

I cannot seem to find the larger size for the 5SC. Does anyone know of an aftermarket option? I mistakenly ordered the smaller size but they haven’t arrived yet. Can they work in the 5SC?

I think the only place you might be able to get them from is Rovan .
All I see over there are the smaller size ones and thats going off the models they list as fitting w/16mm drive shafts. Mine are 18mm I think. The boot size is 25mm x 47. I suppose I could cut the smaller ones slightly on the shaft side. I was hoping someone made a direct replacement

I'm running the FLM SD drive shaft and cups (same sizes as the 5 SC). One side is running an old style 5b stock boot on one of my drive axles and a black hostile boot on the other. With deflectors mounted on the arms, both boots are holding up pretty well even after a few runs in the rocks. Outdrives on the diff end are another story. Nothing I can do will keep them from coming apart.

I've been running one diff outdrive without any boot for about 4-5 tanks without any issues. I just murdered my last outdrive boot on the other side today.

I think at this point, we are kinda screwed for getting any new boots. If you're running the SD drives, just do what you can to ensure you don't throw a pin, and replace them as needed.

The majority of the Losi 5th scale models don't come with boots from the factory, and they've been just fine.

Is there any reason not to glue the pins in place somehow? You could remove them with heat if you broke one I suppose. I guess I could downsize to the smaller shafts and cups in order to run boots OR just keep what I have and watch it. I mainly run on grass and sand so no rocks. I could add shields if needed. I have had this truck for a long time but I am just now running it so I have little experience on whats gonna break. I have wrenched on it plenty but I admit I haven't really run it super hard to bust anything serious up.

Is there any reason not to glue the pins in place somehow? You could remove them with heat if you broke one I suppose. I guess I could downsize to the smaller shafts and cups in order to run boots OR just keep what I have and watch it. I mainly run on grass and sand so no rocks. I could add shields if needed. I have had this truck for a long time but I am just now running it so I have little experience on whats gonna break. I have wrenched on it plenty but I admit I haven't really run it super hard to bust anything serious up.
Glue the pins in the shaft? Why ? That's what the grub screw is for, to hold them in place. You could run without them, some have had good luck and some not. For me , I didn't. The pins lasted less than a tank before showing alot of wear or just snapping all together.

Glue the pins in the shaft? Why ? That's what the grub screw is for, to hold them in place. You could run without them, some have had good luck and some not. For me , I didn't. The pins lasted less than a tank before showing alot of wear or just snapping all together.

I snapped a pin because I lost the grub screw, but mine are still looking like new even after a torture run at the rocky park. Back in the big sand days, many guys ran without boots because a ripped boot meant grinding compound in your drive cups for the rest of the day.

@sigfla is not wrong here. Some folks will coat the pins with either red thread lock or 620 bearing mount to keep them from chattering in the bone.

The big trick though is to get the hell off the throttle before you land a jump ESPECIALLY a big one where the entire weight of the car will come smashing down. Landing at WOT will eventually wreck your drive train no matter how stout it is. 1:1 drivers know this rule, just watch real stadium truck racing and listen to their throttle control. It isn't such an issue with small, light 1/10 or 1/8 scale models, but when you have 30-45 lbs of metal being acted on by inertia and gravity, poop is gonna break.

Ive been letting off. And still was snapping the pins ?‍♂️
Also it wasn't jumps. Just randomly, would be going thru the grass and it would snap a pin.

The only pin I broke was due to the grub screw backing out, and the pin came loose, caught the edge of the lower arm and snapped.

I just checked my pins, and the unbooted pin was loose. If I were to leave it and go for another run, I'll bet it will snap like the last one. I'm going to see what red thread lock on the pin will do. I'm looking into an alloy sleeve of some sort, like what you see on the Godzilla axles to keep the pins from popping out in the event of a loose pin. I'll let you know how the red threadlock works out, and if I find a suitable sleeve option.

The only pin I broke was due to the grub screw backing out, and the pin came loose, caught the edge of the lower arm and snapped.

I just checked my pins, and the unbooted pin was loose. If I were to leave it and go for another run, I'll bet it will snap like the last one. I'm going to see what red thread lock on the pin will do. I'm looking into an alloy sleeve of some sort, like what you see on the Godzilla axles to keep the pins from popping out in the event of a loose pin. I'll let you know how the red threadlock works out, and if I find a suitable sleeve option.
ok (y) also maybe the ddm pins i am using are just too soft to be ran dry with the hardened flm cups :unsure:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks