a bit disappointed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chitown joe

hey guys
i decided to run my baja's on some asphalt the other day
i have 2 types of onroad tires, the km tarmac busters, and the hostile slick

well i took turns running my baja's first the km,ran like a champ smooth on the turns and stopped pretty good since the baja weight approx 40lbs.
the second baja had the hostile slicks and on 2 different turns my baja rolled over, i figured it was to much of a sharp turn,
but i as eased into some of the turns i can see it wanted to roll again,
so i switched the tires around maybe it was the baja's? nope same thing rolled the baja with the hostiles,

so i'm a bit disappointed that the hostiles would create the rolling issues,
and the cheapo km's ran like the hostiles should,

what makes me a bit more frustrated i have a extra set of new hostiles and i'm not feeling them at all now, starting to think they are the crap brand of them all,

just my first rant on a brand

anyone have this happen?

You can't point the finger at the tyre that flips your car, it's obviously got a softer compound. Maybe the tyre you got was the wrong type/wrong surface for what you want it to do.

You can't point the finger at the tyre that flips your car, it's obviously got a softer compound. Maybe the tyre you got was the wrong type/wrong surface for what you want it to do.

come on man i'm not racing it, it basic parking lot asphalt that we have here in the states, and yes i can point the finger at the tire since the cheapo km i have no issues with them, better traction and control all around,and i don't even know what compound these km are since its pretty much what ever dan has.

the hostiles are med. compound which should actually be fine for the environment i'm using them on,
i have used ipanema tires on my gt cars for years. used the med shore which is 45-50 shore,in the same lot,had great outcomes from them.

the hostile shore rating if i am correct is 50 shore for the medium compound.
the tire is nothing what i expected.

now if ipanema made 1/5 tires this would not be a issue.

I agree with checking out the geometry and the shock settings.
You might find it's loads better, maybe not ....

Al.

+3 it's all about car setup, you definitely want zero toe in on the rear wheels, stiffer springs and a lower center of gravity

ps im after a set of hostile slicks let me know if you want to sell them........ are they for a 5B or 5T ?

Troy

Last edited:
well i have to disagree, being that it happened to both baja's not just one and only when i run the hostile tires,

what your getting is called traction roll, its created by having too much traction. this means the tires are biting quite hard and wont allow the car to slide around. tires are one part of the setup, you need to tune everything to work as a package. id start by lowering the thing down, put stiffer springs on and thicker shock oil. run about 1.5 degrees negative camber in the back, set the front 0 to 1 degree. start with 1 degree toe in on the back and 0 to 1 degree toe out on the front. rideheight should be 15-20mm. if you have swaybars, use em.

when we have our onroad gatherings several guys bring their bajas out with onroad tires, and i gotta say, they are a mess going around an onroad track. ive watched them many times, they either slide through every corner or plow through the end of it. haven't seen them traction roll, however they seem to have far too much power to do that.

Set up is a massive part of RC cars. Expecting two different makes of tyre to react the same way just isn't right. I don't drive HPI type baja cars or use the tyres you mention but with an on road car I have to alter the set up if I switch from PMT tyres to GRP tyres even if the compound is similar.

the slicks have too much side bite. since you are wanting to have fun with the car rather than racing it, go with the fun time setup. sell the slicks. i have also found the tarmac tires to be the ticket on the street.

Fun with Hostile slicks

Last edited by a moderator:
well the vids are nice,
but the nice thing about the lot that i run at the street sweeper comes through and cleans up the area just as we are getting there, thank you KOHL's for that!

the baja's run tight with the tarmacs, and i already had the baja's lowered i was inspired when i made that 3rd one i sold with out shocks it laid like a rat rod. so i lowered my other 2 to get the look , center of gravity is actually lower then a the regular ride height
using 45wt oil in the rear and 40wt in front hpi brand, as for springs i don't think there is a stiffer spring,using the hot racing blue springs very stiff, not many coils but these are by far the stiffest i have seen or found came in multi pack that they sell,

not selling any tires especially new ones so i could lose money? nope.
the tires will go on the shelf and maybe there will be some more 90+ degree days to where the heat effects the ground and the tires a bit more and maybe they will work better

not selling any tires especially new ones so i could lose money? nope.
the tires will go on the shelf and maybe there will be some more 90+ degree days to where the heat effects the ground and the tires a bit more and maybe they will work better

I would imagine the hostiles would be better on cooler days. Hotter weather would make them even more grippy & more prone to rolling your baja??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks