a question for 1/5 scale drivers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkey

ok ive seen a lot of videos in the last while, and i just cant seem to figure this one out

why does every 1/5 scale driver use their trigger like an on/off switch???

every video i watch, offroad, touring car, f1, bashing or racing, all i hear is throttle blipping, full throttle then coasting. when i started racing nitro 1/10 thats how i drove and i was never that fast, and the car was hard to set up. the good drivers kept telling me to smooth out, and i did to a point. i guess it wasnt till i was handed the radio to an electric touring car (tc3) with a mod motor and 1 way front diff that i learned to be a smooth driver. after that, i figured out why the car was so hard to set up (on/off transition upsets the chassis), and it really helped with things like tire wear (read: destruction), drivetrain longevity, and kept the car from ending up in the boards.

so guys, what gives??? and if you don't know what i mean, here is an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_l-xd9VYAU

A lot of it may have to do with not using the deadband function in their radios. I know that without deadband, you use almost half the travel on the throttle just to get the car rolling. This is true for braking as well.

With the right amount of deadband set, and driving fast laps on grass, if you let off the throttle in a corner, you will flip just from engine braking if you have the traction. I do drive the throttle and the car is just so much easier to drive.

Sometimes getting rolling is helped by blipping the throttle. Sort of like locking the diff in the right direction. This is usual for racing on dry dirt if you have to much power for the given traction available. It also helps to plant the front wheels when you let off.

you're supposed to vary the throttle when breaking in an engine... ya that's it ;)

bring it on Steve, the twitchy semi is going to lay waste to the weenie cars again this year hehe

ok so i guess everyone is always breaking their motor in then lol. and i cant agree with the deadband function not being used, i have it, never used it and don't drive like that. i know it can help you get going, but rolling on the throttle also does that, and its much easier on drivetrain parts and doesn't shock the suspension.

and yes barry, i know your semi will kick my ass. give me some some time at the controls and some more parts, we will see what my pile of parts can do.

I do not have a 1/5 scale yet, (so I am here to learn) and I too have noticed the throttle blipping on all the you tube videos. I am wondering if it has to do with the point that the clutch engages? Seems to me it engages at 6 to 8000 rpm (I could be wrong on this), but if this is true, there would be a lot of "slop" in the trigger to car control, then there is deadband , and any lag due to the radio and servo. I ride a sports touring motorcycle and have done a number of track days with it, so I fully understand smooth throttle and proper set up for a corner. Just trying to learn something here.

Last edited:
i changed from a black standard clutch spring to a 8000rpm red one and found myself throttle blipping a lot more just to find the bite point, don,t rate the red spring myself, is there anything in the middle of black and red????

ok so i guess everyone is always breaking their motor in then lol. and i cant agree with the deadband function not being used, i have it, never used it and don't drive like that. i know it can help you get going, but rolling on the throttle also does that, and its much easier on drivetrain parts and doesn't shock the suspension.

and yes barry, i know your semi will kick my ass. give me some some time at the controls and some more parts, we will see what my pile of parts can do.

Properly set up, deadband doesn't shock the system at all, it just makes sure that a little throttle on the trigger will begin to engage the throttle plate giving you much better range on the trigger itself. Sorry you haven't found its usefulness. Its much easier than trying to adjust the linkage to be dead on.

Properly set up, deadband doesn't shock the system at all, it just makes sure that a little throttle on the trigger will begin to engage the throttle plate giving you much better range on the trigger itself. Sorry you haven't found its usefulness. Its much easier than trying to adjust the linkage to be dead on.

So the deadband set up can make up for the "slop" caused by radio and servo lag and the clutch engage RPM? Again, I do not have a gas powered vehicle yet, so I am trying to learn something here, so what is the proper way to set up the dead band?

Using thottle as on and off switch

:shuriken:I LIKE THE SOUND TOO! My 5B and RAMPAGE MT 2 seem to hit top speed yet the motor still has alot more to give. any tips on getting a well balanced machine? i tried switching the pinion and spur gear on redcat when the tt tires are on.then switched them back to handle the mt2 tires.

i changed from a black standard clutch spring to a 8000rpm red one and found myself throttle blipping a lot more just to find the bite point, don,t rate the red spring myself, is there anything in the middle of black and red????

There sure is bud,,,,DDM do a 7500rpm spring!

So the deadband set up can make up for the "slop" caused by radio and servo lag and the clutch engage RPM? Again, I do not have a gas powered vehicle yet, so I am trying to learn something here, so what is the proper way to set up the dead band?

Yes, removing deadband is just to take up the slop that is available in the linkage.

The HPI Baja for instance has a 1mm gap on the throttle linkage at neutral. Same with the brake. This means as soon as you hit the trigger, you have to get past the 1mm before anything happens at the throttle lever. Deadband compensation, as it is properly named, can be adjusted tol move the servo there at the slightest tough of the trigger.

Optionally, you can set the compensation to where the clutch starts to engage. I prefer the former adjustment. It doesn't take much throttle to engage the clutch.

for years i couldnt afford a good radio, i made due with a cheap am. i made the best of what i had by learning to set up linkages correctly to minimize the deadband. never really needed to use the electronic setting on my radio because of this

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks