Advice please....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enzo3856

I have a few issues with my used Baja...
I think by the time I am done, it will be pretty well rebuilt... o_O

I went out with my son yesterday and we had some problems...
I replaced the clutch with a 8K rpm clutch kit (Amazon.ca, Rockland Hobby). I think it was a Rovan branded clutch. I didnt get a chance to drive it, but from what my son said, and I saw, the car was slow to move... it also seems to rev really high and not be moving as fast as the other Baja.
So first question: does the clutch need to break in? or is it possible to overtighten the shoes? or is the clutch not good? Any other ideas let me know...
IMG_20200621_151840.jpg
Now, before I could test drive, my son ran into a chain link fence.. he "was not going that fast", but we broke a steering turn buckle and the lower ball came out the lower A arm. The A arm just split, letting the ball loose. (very frustrating as I spent 10hrs tearing down, cleaning and fixing this car last week)...
I am planning on getting RPM A-arms, but i need to some steering turn buckles - Any recommendations? I want something durable for bashing on soccer fields mostly, but at a fair price...
IMG_20200621_155249.jpg
Also, i put in new dogbones and outdrive cups (oversized, DDM) and put on new Hostile Racing boots... One of them shredded in the first few minutes, first run... is there any warranty on these?
IMG_20200621_150848.jpg
And have you ever seen a pipe break??? :eek::eek:
IMG_20200621_155804.jpg

The joys of buying used.... I like wrenching as much as the next guy, but I am spending more time on the bench than behind the wheel!

I have a few issues with my used Baja...
I think by the time I am done, it will be pretty well rebuilt... o_O

I went out with my son yesterday and we had some problems...
I replaced the clutch with a 8K rpm clutch kit (Amazon.ca, Rockland Hobby). I think it was a Rovan branded clutch. I didnt get a chance to drive it, but from what my son said, and I saw, the car was slow to move... it also seems to rev really high and not be moving as fast as the other Baja.
So first question: does the clutch need to break in? or is it possible to overtighten the shoes? or is the clutch not good? Any other ideas let me know...
View attachment 60440
Now, before I could test drive, my son ran into a chain link fence.. he "was not going that fast", but we broke a steering turn buckle and the lower ball came out the lower A arm. The A arm just split, letting the ball loose. (very frustrating as I spent 10hrs tearing down, cleaning and fixing this car last week)...
I am planning on getting RPM A-arms, but i need to some steering turn buckles - Any recommendations? I want something durable for bashing on soccer fields mostly, but at a fair price...
View attachment 60441
Also, i put in new dogbones and outdrive cups (oversized, DDM) and put on new Hostile Racing boots... One of them shredded in the first few minutes, first run... is there any warranty on these?
View attachment 60442
And have you ever seen a pipe break??? :eek::eek:
View attachment 60443

The joys of buying used.... I like wrenching as much as the next guy, but I am spending more time on the bench than behind the wheel!
It may be tuning issues, not the clutch. Might be running rich, take a video next time. I'm not sure if those clutches need bedding/breaking in.
As for the links, IRP makes some very strong ones, a bit pricey ($60) but you'll never break one.
And the axle boots, I don't think there is a warranty per se (haven't checked the website) but since it lasted only a few mins, I'd talk to ddm about getting some replacements and they will probably help you out. Idk how you shredded them tho, do you have any sharp edges on the hubs you shaved?

It may be tuning issues, not the clutch. Might be running rich, take a video next time. I'm not sure if those clutches need bedding/breaking in.
As for the links, IRP makes some very strong ones, a bit pricey ($60) but you'll never break one.
And the axle boots, I don't think there is a warranty per se (haven't checked the website) but since it lasted only a few mins, I'd talk to ddm about getting some replacements and they will probably help you out. Idk how you shredded them tho, do you have any sharp edges on the hubs you shaved?

I think he has you beat Z!......:unsure:

I checked for sharp edges for just this reason... I did several dry fits to make sure there was no binding, ran my fingers looking for burrs...
I will talk to DDM... I have spent quite a bit with them in the last couple weeks, hopefully they can help me out.

I will reset the needles when it is back up and running and see how it goes.
thanks
Do you guys recommend RPM arms, or I found this set on DDM:
(MadMax complete Arm set)

http://www.davesmotors.com/MadMax-Complete-Arm-Set-HPI-Baja-5B-5T-5SC.html

Last edited:
I checked for sharp edges for just this reason... I did several dry fits to make sure there was no binding, ran my fingers looking for burrs...
I will talk to DDM... I have spent quite a bit with them in the last couple weeks, hopefully they can help me out.

I will reset the needles when it is back up and running and see how it goes.
thanks
Do you guys recommend RPM arms, or I found this set on DDM:
(MadMax complete Arm set)

http://www.davesmotors.com/MadMax-Complete-Arm-Set-HPI-Baja-5B-5T-5SC.html
I'd get rpm, time tested to be very very durable. I

I've never seen a broken pipe ?

But that pipe looks pretty poop quality so I wouldn't lose any sleep.

DEFINITELY check for sharp burrs. You for sure had something in there that was sharp that shredded those. Ddm will definitely take care of you on those though.

Man posts like this make me ever so happy that I bought brand new and name brand lol

DEFINITELY check for sharp burrs. You for sure had something in there that was sharp that shredded those. Ddm will definitely take care of you on those though.

Man posts like this make me ever so happy that I bought brand new and name brand lol
THIS... I was on the market for a couple months, waiting to sell some nitros to have cash for a Baja... even saw an SS kit in box, unbuilt... Couple others with nice upgrades, but didnt have the cash on hand... Would have been more peace of mind.
Finally this pair showed up together at a great price. I think the dude was honest, but I think he either rode them hard, or they were already used when he got them... Both pipes are dinged up, a few screws and bolts are make shift replacements...
On the other hand, it allows me to fix these up how I want, and then I know what I have. And having a pair means I get to run with my son!

Yea ,I see a lot of poop quality in the aluminum parts ,when I cleaned some up ,it appears that the aluminum
when it was casted or smelted was contaminated or bad!....LOL

THIS... I was on the market for a couple months, waiting to sell some nitros to have cash for a Baja... even saw an SS kit in box, unbuilt... Couple others with nice upgrades, but didnt have the cash on hand... Would have been more peace of mind.
Finally this pair showed up together at a great price. I think the dude was honest, but I think he either rode them hard, or they were already used when he got them... Both pipes are dinged up, a few screws and bolts are make shift replacements...
On the other hand, it allows me to fix these up how I want, and then I know what I have. And having a pair means I get to run with my son!
Absolutely man, runnin with your offspring is the best! My kids LOVE my rig and drive my smaller nitros when I drive my losi around ? luckily you can rebuild what's wrong with those for pretty darn cheap! Brrrraaaapp on brotha

?️??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks