Air Filter cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemm

Hi guys,

Great forum. I am from the UK in Brighton. I have just bought a used Fg MT. I am new to the hobby and just has a question on how to clean the air filter. I have a standard filter and also wanted to know if it's worth an ugrade.

yes its worth an upgrade. I would recommend you purchase these few items to keep your air/motor clean, and enjoy a long running motor.

HPI Baja Air Filter set (30.00 for the housing, and filters)
TGN RedNecd dual stage air filter (10.00)
Outerwares Air filter bag (13.00)

go to your motorcycle or atv store and purchase some BelRey SuperTachy air filter oil.

pour some in a ziplock bag, drop in your air filter. thuroughly work the oil into the filter, remove from ziplock bag, and work the excess oil out with papertowels.

now install the housing and prefilter (the oiled unit you just did) now put the TGN RedNeck on it, but use wheel bearing grease to seal the mating faces of the RedNeck and the filter housing on both sides. then put the Outerwares over that. it ll be a TIGHT FIT, but it will go on.

once setup, this is about as dirt tight a setup as you can get. with regular maintenance to keep the airfilter assembly clean, your motor shouldnt have an early failure from ingesting any dirt thru the airfilter system.

i STRONGLY recommend you do NOT USE the K&N filters, they do not work well at all. you ll likely toast your motor in a few tanks with them installed. they may be ok for onroad, but are the worst if you go offroad.

If it is the stock FG filter you will be ok with it. Use a Redneck over it and oil both. If you want you can wrap the entire set up with a Outerwears for the larger dirt.:)

Cleaning air filter foams is easy, just use dish drops and warm water, you will be amazed how much dirt the filter holds.
Don't forget to dry it completely before re-instailing, leave it on a window ciel for an hour or two.
Outwears pre filter is a must for dusty conditions.

FG or HPI with redneck and outwear is the best.
Stay away from K&N unless it is on road and no dust is present.

Last edited:
Cleaning air filter foams is easy, just use dish drops and warm water, you will be amazed how much dirt the filter holds.
Don't forget to dry it completely before re-instailing, leave it on a window ciel for an hour or two.
Outwears pre filter is a must for dusty conditions.

I assume its necessary to soak the filter again in airfilter cleaner oil, after its dried out using the water methord?

Also, How do you clean the outerwares covers on airfilters and over the pull start recoil unit?

Thanks, Rog

Soak it in hot water and dish soap. Let it sit there for a good 30 minutes or so. Then wash it off and poor out the dirty water. Then add some dish soap on the foam filter again and lather it as if you were going to wash yourself with it. Wash it off and repeat it a few times with your hands. You will be surprised with how clean that air filter becomes after 3-4 times. It only takes a few minutes, but the results are amazing! Let it dry outside in the sun or overnight.

Once you get it dried oil it with what ever air filter oil you want to use and put it back onto the car. Keeping the filter clean is important and really doesn't take too long.

-Alex-

I assume its necessary to soak the filter again in airfilter cleaner oil, after its dried out using the water methord?

Yes.

Also, How do you clean the outerwares covers on airfilters and over the pull start recoil unit?

I don't think I have ever cleaned it? I use a air compressor to blow out the entire buggy/truck when done. You can just use a wet rag to remove the dust and dirt. Worst case if its full of mud, you can remove the pull handle and clean it with warm water.

I used a k&n on my fg and it let in dust and f$%^ed my motor, i cut the fg filter down, oiled it well and shoved that inside the k&N and then used an outerwears...works great now. If you like the k&n look I'd recommend the fg inner
I run an hpi with outer wears on my rampage...I prefer the hpi filter but it won't fit between my reed block and jetpro on the fg so had to use the K&n pancake.

you can get filter cleaner from a dirtbike shop or use dish soap to clean em

I am an auto detailer and carpet cleaner. I never use wd40 as a lube, but it's a great cleaner. wd40 works good to break down the filter oil, then it washes out with soap and water easy.

hey dude im from brighton also awesom to see a fellow fg user from the same neck of the woods, i have a tourcing car give me a shout and we can go use them or something and share ideas on upgrades etc.

hey dude im from brighton also awesom to see a fellow fg user from the same neck of the woods, i have a tourcing car give me a shout and we can go use them or something and share ideas on upgrades etc.

I dout he will get back to you, he hasnt been on here in a long time, best
asking around and see who live near you :)

the FG MT air filter is good, just get a TGN reneck & you be sorted, ive used this combo for a while in VERY mucky/dusty conditions, if you gunna be running in wet conditions (winter) just get an outerwears too :)

As for cleaning, take the foam off, a bit of fairy liquid & warm water, give it a wash, rinse well & let dry then just re-oil :)

takes 5min & brings air filter up like new! :)

a lil tip to re-oil, slip the filter in a sandwiche bag & put a few drops of filter oil in the bag then massage the bag with ya hands.. keeps ya hands oil free & oils the filter well :)

the FG MT air filter is good, just get a TGN reneck & you be sorted, ive used this combo for a while in VERY mucky/dusty conditions, if you gunna be running in wet conditions (winter) just get an outerwears too :)

As for cleaning, take the foam off, a bit of fairy liquid & warm water, give it a wash, rinse well & let dry then just re-oil :)

takes 5min & brings air filter up like new! :)

a lil tip to re-oil, slip the filter in a sandwiche bag & put a few drops of filter oil in the bag then massage the bag with ya hands.. keeps ya hands oil free & oils the filter well :)

Massage the bag with your hands hey Daz...Hmmmmm:rolleyes:
J.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks