All current options for a brushless 5ive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjagaiden

Folks,

I'm loving the 5ive chassis but the running noise is getting to be a problem. I've already been moved on twice on my last outing. The noise also tends to make you think the thing is going much faster than it really is!

Noone seems to make a quieter pipe than the stock one so I am just looking at brushless options. I've tried to sum up what I have found from my research and would be glad on any additions / corrections or comments.

Overall if I went brushless I would be happy to stick with 8S, and would definitely want to keep the mechanical brakes. This is what I have found so far:

1.‘Virtual’ gas engine : Chinese swapout kits based on a 580L motor and 6S ESC, from $209 Aliexpress. WOuld need adapting a lot as they are made to drop into a Baja clone, and the durability is likely to be poor - the electrics would be more in place on a 1:8 scale model.

2.Motor mount – you get what you pay for
RC Monster : Mounts to right of diff. No support for back for motor can. No room for mech braking servo? Cheap at $130 but I would exclude this because I love the mechanical brakes.

RC Madness : Motor mounts using clutch mount. No support for back of motor can but 1inch steel and 4 motor screws for custom fit of castle/neu can. CF battery tray. $250 from Daves motors

Skopod : Motor mounts using clutch mount but has support for rear of can as well

3. ESC & Motor

Castle XL2 combo with 2028 750kv motor : $550 on Ebay. Likely to be the easiest path if you are happy to stick with 8S. Some people have built up combos with the Castle ICE2 160HV which costs about the same as the Mamba XL2 but would allow you to go up to 12S.

Kershaw designs offer XL2 ESC with Leopard 5698 motor and the RC Madness mount at a very good price of $640 all in.

Repurposing large scale marine / heli components from Hobbyking : Turnigy Monster 200A ESC costs $190 but goes up to 12S – this has got to BEC though. Other option is the dlux 120A HV which has antispark lead but no BEC. Both of these could be paired up with a Turnigy T5692 780Kv brushless motor which is $76 and good for 12S. The motor end looks very similar to the Leopard 5698 in which case it should fit the RC Madness mount. Note you would need to add the cost of a UBEC to run the electrics, but an optoisolated ESC would seem very attractive on a model this size. Of course, these options would need you to retain the mechanical brakes.

Overall I think the Kershaw bundle is the best balance of price, performance, and risk at the moment.

Any other ideas?

N

1. RCMadness conversion has a beefy motor mount and comes with a nice battery tray.
2. Castle Combo 2028/XL2 ESC (8s) which is plenty fast.
3. Castle 2028/MGM ComPro ESC (12s) if you want ludicrous speed.

my opinions is to get the castle system. rcmonster motor mount has provision for mechanical brakes but you would have to make a servo mount.

i am loving mine and have no problems with any of it. 8s is plenty fast.
19t pinion if you want to spin the tires off the beadlocks
16T pinion if you want to race.
anything inbetween is just how much wheel spin do you want lol

if your not racing on a trackk with other losi's i would just get mikes stuff and ditch the mechanical brakes. (my opinion)

also i would not make a big deal of weather the motor needs a rear support. it does not need one. if it did castle/neu would of put bolt holes on that end also.

Last edited:
@Auto2 : Thanks for the advice. I'm not wanting to go beyond 8S. Sounds like you are running motor braking. How does that work on a model this size?

@Auto2 : Thanks for the advice. I'm not wanting to go beyond 8S. Sounds like you are running motor braking. How does that work on a model this size?

i have no problems with electric brakes. when i race i do not use a lot of brakes anyway. end of the straight, the truck rotates well with a stab of the throttle and that works for me. in the one vid i took you can see it rotate with the throttle cause the track was so dusty and u can match up the gas truck video on same track and see what it does in the same turn.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks