Alternate Method of Repairing Cracked Body Parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrpHed

Hi All,

Thought I'd share this. I learned this years ago repairing strap locks on guitars. I've also used it on Motorcycle Fairings and it also works on Lexan.

It's not pretty but it works and is strong.

What I am repairing in this example is a 5B side pod that got baffed when a bit of an engine 'kick' during a pull on the starter caused the starter to snap back. I wasn't expecting it and it snapped out of my hand and hit the side pod and broke it. I recovered all the pieces but one.

What you do is take baking soda, fill in the crack and create ridged layers on either side of the crack.
IMG_00000080.jpg

Then you drizzle with Crazy Glue. (Any Dollar Store Cyanoacrylate based Super Glue will work) The chemical reaction between the glue and soda is catalyzing that becomes like a plastic.
IMG_00000081.jpg

Once you are done piecing things back together and or filling the crack(s) it will look something like this. Even though it looks rough and cracked, it's actually smooth as I use Masking Tape on the outside and stick all the broken pieces back in from behind before starting the baking soda filling process. I even filled the missing piece this way as can be seen.
IMG_00000082.jpg

I had some Acrylic Model Paint lying around so I lightly brushed on a couple coats and though not an exact color match, my side pod is fixed until I decide to replace them and go through the trouble of painting a whole body set.
IMG_00000084.jpg

Like I said, it's not perfect but once you are at a distance, while bashing, you'll never notice the difference unless you really look or pointed it out to someone.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks