HPI Baja 5b to 5t conversion build begins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm really taking my time as I do this so that I don't miss anything . Moved the fuel lines over from the old carb to the OBR, I have quick disconnects on both line. Hopefully they don't leak. I'll find out in the spring. Took the throttle linkage off the baja and I'm figuring out what I'll need when I re-install everything with Team Twisted RC (Yamadude) Throttle Linkage Set for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC . I'd ask what the tooth count of the Throttle servo is because I can't figure out how to get the horn off the OLD linkage with out damaging anything. I had extra horns form one of my previous purchases when I had to fix other things. I I found one that seems to fit correctly it's marked SKJ23.

what servo is it dude?

It's the servo that came with the buggy . Pretty sure it's Branded as Rovan. Just tried another one It's a 25 tooth.The horn dropped right into place . Fit better than the Rovan horn. :ROFLMAO: . Evvsv thanks for asking that question . It made me do a bit of searching. Savox uses 25 tooth so I figured give it a shot .

Last edited:
I was checking out your obr pics yum! It looks the bomb(y) then i looked out the window at your place ❄❄?☃️⛄ looks super cold. you fellas in the northern hemisphere have all this down time too cold to go out and play(n)
Build upgrade months. Come the summer every one has these mega tripped out rigs:cool:(y). I have all year round to smash crash and bend. Maybe not sometimes its too wet.@1Coopgt its looking good keep it up(y)

Well got the old engine out and the Killer Bee Kill switch moved over to the OBR . Also moved over the motor mounts. Now to learn how the Tranny and diff come a part .

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_232108.jpg
    IMG_20181231_232108.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 9
Okay I got some more goodness for the buggy today . Feast your eyes . 6310 - 9.4hp Full Mod G340RC 34cc +2mm Stroker TR/OBR Reed Case Engine With V2 Reed Case . Went with the Billet Transfer ports , Ceramic bearings and WT-1107 carb. Turtle Racing Pull start and the Grafil G-Virus body. Not in the picture is the Team Twisted Throttle linkage .
Me Like

Well today I took the tranny out and pulled it apart pulled the diff out . Moved the parts from the old tranny into the new Turtle Racing quick change case .
It's a good thing I decided to do this upgrade . When I took the diff out I decided to spin the gears and see if they were smooth, nope . Rovan does use an Alloy diff. But damn shoddy workmanship. They sealed the gasket with black RTV. Took everything apart and the 2, 4mm x 6mm cap head screws are missing that hold the pins in place under the gears . When a spun the gears inside one of the pins was dragging on the snowflack looking part that sits under the gear. Thankfully I have extra screws.

Now for the bad part . I can't get the bearings out or off the old diff. so I had to order new bearings .:mad:;)

Attachments

• IMG_20190101_173036.jpg
    IMG_20190101_173036.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190101_173016.jpg
    IMG_20190101_173016.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 10
Well today I took the tranny out and pulled it apart pulled the diff out . Moved the parts from the old tranny into the new Turtle Racing quick change case .
It's a good thing I decided to do this upgrade . When I took the diff out I decided to spin the gears and see if they were smooth, nope . Rovan does use an Alloy diff. But damn shoddy workmanship. They sealed the gasket with black RTV. Took everything apart and the 2, 4mm x 6mm cap head screws are missing that hold the pins in place under the gears . When a spun the gears inside one of the pins was dragging on the snowflack looking part that sits under the gear. Thankfully I have extra screws.

Now for the bad part . I can't get the bearings out or off the old diff. so I had to order new bearings .:mad:;)
That's crap m8. Sucks. My rovan diff was also bad, the seals don't seal well and it don't spin very well ? I'll be using the original hpi diff and seels when I rebuild mine

That's crap m8. Sucks. My rovan diff was also bad, the seals don't seal well and it don't spin very well ? I'll be using the original hpi diff and seels when I rebuild mine

It did have plenty of oil in it . Sad part was there wasn't much grease . The grease that was in there looked like it had been cooked at least on the diff gear.

So coop seeing the issues with the rovan angai? Can yo use heat to get them out? The bearings

Honestly this was the first real issue I've run into with the Rovan and it didn't stop the Baja from running. I found the issue while doing upgrades and maintenance . The buggy is probably 25% HPI parts ,50 % Turtle Racing parts and 25% Rovan parts now . Oh forgot to include DGI and a few others. I know there are folks with really strong opinions about the clone buggies . I'm not going to be bated into that debate I think it's been beat to death . The Rovan got me into this hobby. I've been learning a lot with all the upgrading and the big crash. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (Shut it "Z")
As for heating the bearings to get them off the diff housings . I probably could but I would rather change the bearings to new. It's not like I'm in a hurry to get it back together . It's winter here and I'm not going to run the baja on salty roads . ;)

So after 2 hours I finally got the diff. and tranny back together.

And here is what I've learned . The gear cluster and holders for the rovan will not fit in the HPI diff. They are a bit thicker (stronger).This should have taken about a .5 hr to put the diff back together but it doubled in time because I had to get the parts out of the HPI diff and they were jammed in tight because I had tried to close the 2 halves together . I put everything back into the Rovan diff cases and it went together like butter. Go figure. :ROFLMAO:

What I didn't like about the rovan diff was that they had left the 2 screws that hold the axle cups out and they had used RTV for the gasket . I corrected this when I put it back together. So it's all good.

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_192444.jpg
    IMG_20190105_192444.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190105_192452.jpg
    IMG_20190105_192452.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 13
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks