Another Fun Day at the track..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny

So, today, .. I went to test out my new Crazy Stu's on my Rovan 450 today. The engine ran great, but then everything went downhill. The brakes failed completely, the engine idle climbed so high on me, that the truck literally could not be stopped and moved forward at a brisk pace with no braking, not even slightly working. The truck body didnt fit perfectly since the Crazy Stu's was installed so it shifted forward and tore the antenna off in the front right corner. Then last but not least, my engine stop switch completely failed ... just failed, like it didnt exist..... .... So after tackling my unstoppable 1/5 scale truck, i wrestle it down to finally try to turn it off and i cant , omg, this would make a great youtube video. Then,.... After repeatedly pressing and holding the red stop switch, with no results, the engine keeps revving and the truck is trying to run away, im on the ground like a rugby player, my hands and arms are dripping blood from various injuries during this process. I decide to kill the engine with the choke lever....... Woops.... seams with the new Crazy Stu's air filter I can't reach the choke anymore from the front window opening. Now .. I'm scrambling trying to pull out all my pins off the body to remove it while its screaming in my face, so i can kill the engine. Finally I rip the body off and flip the choke lever and the engine dies. Crisis is over. Just a few flesh wounds and another day at the shop trying to fix this royal mess. It's all fun and part of the hobby... lol... !!! Thanks for listening... haha..

I have a good kill switch, but the main engine shut off switch failed. When i turned off the transmitter, the fast idle and no brake situation continued, but then i couldnt steer,so that was a bad option. so i went back to transmit. The engine just would not shut off without the choke flipped. Very dangereous, im dissappointred the engine kill button didnt work on this Rovan 450, its a huge liability.....
Kill switches are mandatory. Kinda suprised they let you on a track without one. --- Correct me if im wrong please, im a newbie. But kill switches are for run away trucks and the loss of signal stops the throttle and adds the break. My throttle was at idle too high and had no break. so killing the switch kept the truck moving fast at idle but without steering... But my situation is, i had the truck in hand, and the on engine red button stop switch did not shut the engine off, not the same as a kill switch unless im severely mistaken.The kill switch worked perfectly, but the engine shut off failed completely.

Last edited:
MMMM, correct me if im wrong, but my kill switch on my truck puts the throttle in idle and applies max pressure to the brakes, but leaves the engine running, am i correct, thats how it works ?

Im confused, bc i have a good kill switch i think, i turn off my transmitter, and the truck goes to idle and applies the brakes, so that part definitely works. But when the idle is running super hot with no breaks, the kill switch is doing what its supposed to do but the breaks failed and the engine idle is full torque. so its still a fast mover without steering now. ....Nothing in the kill switch actually kills the engine unless i am missing something, and i hope i am trust me....I appreciate all the help you guys can give me thanks you !!

MMMM, correct me if im wrong, but my kill switch on my truck puts the throttle in idle and applies max pressure to the brakes, but leaves the engine running, am i correct, thats how it works ?

You need this ! http://www.davesmotors.com/Killer-RC-Super-Bee-Failsafe-Kill-Switch-Combo.html
I would fix the truck then sell it and buy Losi 5ive-T 2.0. Those clones are prone to have many problems as you just found out. Glad your not hurt or someone else. Cut your loses and get rid of the Rovan.

Just stop . There are videos of Losi Run a ways out there . So they have there fails too. No manufacturer is perfect. He bought what he could afford. He needs a kill switch, which all 1/5 scales should really come with from the factory. You are entitled to your opinion that's fine. Personally I think the Rovan is better than the KM but they both have their flaws.

Last edited:
So, today, .. I went to test out my new Crazy Stu's on my Rovan 450 today. The engine ran great, but then everything went downhill. The brakes failed completely, the engine idle climbed so high on me, that the truck literally could not be stopped and moved forward at a brisk pace with no braking, not even slightly working. The truck body didnt fit perfectly since the Crazy Stu's was installed so it shifted forward and tore the antenna off in the front right corner. Then last but not least, my engine stop switch completely failed ... just failed, like it didnt exist..... .... So after tackling my unstoppable 1/5 scale truck, i wrestle it down to finally try to turn it off and i cant , omg, this would make a great youtube video. Then,.... After repeatedly pressing and holding the red stop switch, with no results, the engine keeps revving and the truck is trying to run away, im on the ground like a rugby player, my hands and arms are dripping blood from various injuries during this process. I decide to kill the engine with the choke lever....... Woops.... seams with the new Crazy Stu's air filter I can't reach the choke anymore from the front window opening. Now .. I'm scrambling trying to pull out all my pins off the body to remove it while its screaming in my face, so i can kill the engine. Finally I rip the body off and flip the choke lever and the engine dies. Crisis is over. Just a few flesh wounds and another day at the shop trying to fix this royal mess. It's all fun and part of the hobby... lol... !!! Thanks for listening... haha..

If you are going to continue to race your Rovan you seriously need to go through the COMPLETE chassis and bring the truck up to a reliable level. Rovans are NOT a race ready vehicle. They certainly can be made to run reliably out on the track but from what i've learned with my Rovan 2T , there is NO way I would feel comfortable taking a box stock Rovan to the track. Remember you want to have fun, but you also need the responsibility to keep your truck in reasonable control for your safety and others. "failsafes" are for 1/8 scale nitros , not 1/5 scale gassers. I too was making reference to running "failsafes" on 1/5's but I was actually referring to electronic kill switches such as the Killer Bee. They are NOT the same and do not function the same. Failsafes do not shut down your engine, they simply return your servo to a pre-configured position (throttle off / brakes fully active). The 1/5 scale kill switches actually kills the ignition spark upon loss of Tx signal , AND allows the operator at any time to kill the ignition using ch #3 on your radio.

As for your brake fail, If I can take a guess did your caliper pad pins back out of the bracket holes and completely fall apart ? Ask me how I know this, as this happened to me on one outing when my Rovan 2T was fairly new. Again typical Rovan a very cheap azz design. I've since modified the caliper bracket to aluminum and staked the pins in place, and running a DDM metal 3 brake pad setup. Now I have excellent reliable braking.

You need this ! http://www.davesmotors.com/Killer-RC-Super-Bee-Failsafe-Kill-Switch-Combo.html

Just stop . There are videos of Losi Run a ways out there . So they have there fails too. No manufacturer is perfect. He bought what he could afford. He needs a kill switch, which all 1/5 scales should really come with from the factory. You are entitled to your opinion that's fine. Personally I think the Rovan is better than the KM but they both have their flaws.
I assumed he had a kill switch that failed to work. A Rovan is not much less then Losi in the scheme of things. But sure he will fix the problem and continue to have fun.

Ya, wow, i learned a lot here guys i appreciate all of your honest comments and recommendations. And appreciate your tolerance of my gross stupidity. I really feel stupid now, bc i honestly thought the failsafe was the kill switch, wow what an idiot i am. How would i know this just by the owners manual. As a newbie, by reading the manual im surprised the manufacturer doesn't even reference needing it, and the fact its so dangerous withoout it, its hard to believe its not part of the factory. My only other question then is, the kill button on the side of the engine failed, so does that need to be replaced or will a kill switch replace that basically. The truck is basically new, and i cant believe the engine stop switch failed already. Last few questions, does anyone know of choke lever replacement extender so i can reach it without removing the body, or Crazy Stu mods so the body fits properly. Thanks for all the help.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks