AnubisBC's HPI Baja 5T build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep Z, I do oil it. I use PJ1 Foam Oil on both it and the inner foam. The redneck does a fantastic job keeping the inner foam clean. I cleaned the inner foam for the first time in years this week, not because I had to, but just because I felt I should. It was still nice and tacky with the PJ1.

I suppose you could split hairs between it and the outerwares on the stock outer foam, but I didn't like how poop clung to the outerwares in a grassy environment. The redneck seemed to breathe better to me.
Ive gone with a uni instead of outerwears too. Just not impressed with their filter covers. They don't seal well.

Took her out for a run at a local soccer field yesterday. They're not watering the grass so it was this nice crispy fluff all over. Fun run carving huge roosts out of it:

Definitely glad I did a full chassis mesh mod. Here's the lower guard after the run:

20200728_201108.jpg

Took a couple minutes with the blower to get the bits out from behind the fuel tank, but nothing got into the chassis, so the crank case was still breathing just fine.

Last edited:
First run with the new carriers, and they're bloody fantastic! The rear end feels less sloppy, but that could just be placebo effect. Axle boots held up great behind the pyrex shields. No more tears from getting hung up inside the carrier. One is stock HPI, the other is a very old hostile boot. @dougstar you will want to trim the end of the hostile boots if you end up getting a pair of these to go with your FLM SD drives. I trimmed mine, and it still had to wear in a bit: bootwear.jpg

There's a bit of grease and atomized rubber coating the carrier around the bearing, as you can see behind the axle, but it was an easy cleanup and I suspect I won't have any binding after this initial wear in.

100% worth it, IMHO.

My rear hubs are sloppy and fack, think I should get those flm ones ? do they come with the toe adjustment tab things?

They come out of the box with 1 and 3 degree toe inserts. You can pick up more from DDM or FLM if you want other options. Inserts are $12 per set. But really 1 and 3 are enough for bashing.

Iv got 2 degree hostile rear hubs on the twin ?? prefer the idea of a one piece
( no inserts ) glad you like yours??

I feel you there! (y)

I was torn between these and the Hostiles. But I like being able to change my toe at will, even if it's actually useless since I'm not racing. If I had a full set of 5T SC toe spacers, I would probably have gone with the adjustable Hostiles. I also prefer the top arm joint being mounted horizontally. Gives me more options for heim joints without worrying about shims. Again, it's probably a completely useless concept due to a lack of racing, but we're all kind of drawn to our own thing, right?

I spent a lot of time searching for any info about these hubs, and couldn't find crap. So I took the gamble and I'm rather glad I did. They fit the bill for my usage.

keep us posted ??
They come out of the box with 1 and 3 degree toe inserts. You can pick up more from DDM or FLM if you want other options. Inserts are $12 per set. But really 1 and 3 are enough for bashing.

I feel you there! (y)

I was torn between these and the Hostiles. But I like being able to change my toe at will, even if it's actually useless since I'm not racing. If I had a full set of 5T SC toe spacers, I would probably have gone with the adjustable Hostiles. I also prefer the top arm joint being mounted horizontally. Gives me more options for heim joints without worrying about shims. Again, it's probably a completely useless concept due to a lack of racing, but we're all kind of drawn to our own thing, right?

I spent a lot of time searching for any info about these hubs, and couldn't find crap. So I took the gamble and I'm rather glad I did. They fit the bill for my usage.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks