AnubisBC's HPI Baja 5T build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New pipe came in the other day. Wrong pipe shipped back today.

I went out Sunday for a run, but the knot on my pullstart cord broke. Took it home and fixed the knot, but then this happened: brokenpawl.jpg

So I ordered the metal pawl from DDM. Let's see if that works.

I also ordered some shock o-rings, since mine are leaking a bit. I took the opportunity to drill out the rear pistons so I can run heavier oil:

bajapiston.jpg

Since I had the shocks torn completely down, I took the opportunity to give them an ultrasonic cleaning so they'll look nice and shiny for 5 seconds:
shocks.jpg

New seals and pawl should be here in a couple days. Until then, I guess I'll clean more. ?‍♂️ ?

I went out Sunday for a run, but the knot on my pullstart cord broke. Took it home and fixed the knot, but then this happened: View attachment 57792

I also ordered some shock o-rings, since mine are leaking a bit. I took the opportunity to drill out the rear pistons so I can run heavier oil:

View attachment 57793

Since I had the shocks torn completely down, I took the opportunity to give them an ultrasonic cleaning so they'll look nice and shiny for 5 seconds:
View attachment 57794

New seals and pawl should be here in a couple days. Until then, I guess I'll clean more. ?‍♂️ ?
Wise choice on the silenced vrc ? I did the same to my shock pistons to run 40wt. Stock pistons don't flow enough and when u run 40wt they have absolutely no rebound and barely move.

I went out Sunday for a run, but the knot on my pullstart cord broke. Took it home and fixed the knot, but then this happened: View attachment 57792

View attachment 57793

View attachment 57794

The alloy pawl needs to be worked on the casting joints (dremil) ?

Its just silicon grease. Ie dielectric grease

So many hobby consumables are everyday industrial products with stupid markup prices. It's not like RC companies are funding their own research into grease production. They're just paying some schmoe to test what's already out there to see if it works, then buying it in bulk, rebranding it and selling it for a premium.

Capitalism at its finest!

So many hobby consumables are everyday industrial products with stupid markup prices. It's not like RC companies are funding their own research into grease production. They're just paying some schmoe to test what's already out there to see if it works, then buying it in bulk, rebranding it and selling it for a premium.

eaxctly....u buy 6x nuts from a rc company an ur paying $5+.?....or go to fastener place an buy 100 for 1.99$...?

yea alot like bearings,o rings, hardware ,ect. other day i needed 4x1mm o rings for me diff. $6 @ ddm, $1 on orings and more. fek that

So I got tired of yanking the cord and needed an excuse to get a cordless drill, so I decided to get a Killer RC Power Start: powerstart.jpg

Not much to it, just a modified cover and a spanner that you install on the flywheel to accept the Toro starter bit:spanner.jpg

But oh holy hell does it improve quality of life, especially if the motor is being stubborn for whatever reason.

I know the big complaint is that the drill is another piece of equipment to drag out, but I already take a field bag with plenty of room for a drill, so it's a non-issue for me.

Just a quick demo on a pre-primed motor:

I'll add to the bearing story.
So a particular company uses standard/stock bearings,in their bearing kits. The factory runs a line for said company with their branding on the package. Someone researched and checked the #s of the stock bearing and found the #s were the same as the branded bearings along with coming from the same manufacturing plant.
Just marketing/packaging only difference.
Much like a lot of things are (Re)branded.
Why reinvent the wheel,when a cool new name will do.
You need to know What your really buying.
It's always worked this way,ask radio shack and others.?

I used to have the power start and if you haven't already then get a spare troy bit.
Only try to start the motor with short bursts or the bit gets hot and the one way bearing shits itself ??

I have a hardware store within 5 minutes that stocks them by the case, so no worries there. Still gonna be worlds better than waiting for days for a new pullstart bit to arrive, especially with the current pandemic slowing up deliveries. I'll be sure to grab a couple, just in case. Thanks for the pointer on short/controlled bursts :blackalien:. I didn't figure that tiny one-way bearing was super durable, but thus far it has done its job and I'm a happy camper.

I'll add to the bearing story.
The factory runs a line for said company with their branding on the package.
Just marketing/packaging only difference.

I don't even know if the manufacturers even go that far. A lot of the time, it's the vendor just buying a gross of said bearing from the factory and plopping them in their own branded packaging. Numerous well known bearing vendors come to mind on that count... ? ?

Went for a nice run to kill the last of my break in gallon today. After replacing the fuel lines, she's running like a right beasty. I even got some wheelie action. Gonna take out the Kutter tires next time to really hook up.

I was hoping to get some vids, but there were a couple of gentlemen with a toddler who were very fascinated and kept asking me questions. I didn't want to risk anyone's safety due to being distracted by filming, so the camera stayed in pocket this time. Next run, I promise I'll get something. But it was very nice to be approached with interest and curiosity. I've never actually had anyone get hostile with me over my running, but most of the time folks just stare or go away.

Oh, and to @21bangbang's point, not all of us need a spotless rig (y) :smuggrin: . I keep mine pretty dirty all the time. If I spent the time making her spotless, I wouldn't be so inclined to go on a quick lunchtime bash for fear of wrecking the effort!

This is after today's run: DirtyB1.jpg

She's not muddy, but she ain't going to the prom dressed like that!

20200523_201657.jpg

I'll clean out all the grass, for sure, but that's about it. At least until I do a tranny/diff refresh. Big tear downs will inspire me to clean her to a shine.

Attachments

• DirtyB1.jpg
    DirtyB1.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 0
Went for a nice run to kill the last of my break in gallon today. After replacing the fuel lines, she's running like a right beasty. I even got some wheelie action. Gonna take out the Kutter tires next time to really hook up.

I was hoping to get some vids, but there were a couple of gentlemen with a toddler who were very fascinated and kept asking me questions. I didn't want to risk anyone's safety due to being distracted by filming, so the camera stayed in pocket this time. Next run, I promise I'll get something. But it was very nice to be approached with interest and curiosity. I've never actually had anyone get hostile with me over my running, but most of the time folks just stare or go away.

Oh, and to @21bangbang's point, not all of us need a spotless rig (y) :smuggrin: . I keep mine pretty dirty all the time. If I spent the time making her spotless, I wouldn't be so inclined to go on a quick lunchtime bash for fear of wrecking the effort!

This is after today's run: View attachment 59098

She's not muddy, but she ain't going to the prom dressed like that!

View attachment 59099

I'll clean out all the grass, for sure, but that's about it. At least until I do a tranny/diff refresh. Big tear downs will inspire me to clean her to a shine.
Hey Anubis, the redneck on your filter, do you oil it? And how does it do with keeping poop off the filter itself? Something's gotta replace my crap bedsheet meterial rovan outerwear ?

Hey Anubis, the redneck on your filter, do you oil it? And how does it do with keeping poop off the filter itself? Something's gotta replace my crap bedsheet meterial rovan outerwear ?

Yep Z, I do oil it. I use PJ1 Foam Oil on both it and the inner foam. The redneck does a fantastic job keeping the inner foam clean. I cleaned the inner foam for the first time in years this week, not because I had to, but just because I felt I should. It was still nice and tacky with the PJ1.

I suppose you could split hairs between it and the outerwares on the stock outer foam, but I didn't like how poop clung to the outerwares in a grassy environment. The redneck seemed to breathe better to me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks