AnubisBC's HPI Baja 5T build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnubisBC

The Professor ?‍?
Build Thread Contributor
I know I've posted my HPI 5t in a few places here. I figured I'd post up a new thread to show my build, what I already have, and future endeavors....

This is my 5T, the "Dirty female dog".5t front.jpg

5t iso.jpg

I've kept her mostly stock structurally. Despite my best efforts, the stock 5t is actually very hard to kill. I've had this rig for a long time, and she's taken a ton of abuse without any complaints.

Upgrades that I'm currently running:

Dark Soul Meaty drive shafts V2
Dark Soul Axle Extensions (with clipless hardware)
Jetpro 5t pipe
RCR Brakes
Lauterbacher Off-Road 4 Shoe Clutch
TR HD "Race" Clutch Carrier, bell and pinion (Transmission plate modified for the larger bearing)
Hostile drive boots (due for replacement now)
RPM Rear Lower A Arms
Hostile MXTs all around
Killer RC Suspension limiter cables
Killer RC Killer Bee killswitch
OBR G320RC 34cc full mod reed case motor
Walbro 990 carb
Shredhead Shredstack inclined Velocity stack
TGN Redneck dual stage prefilter
Hitec 5645 throttle servo
Hitec 5805 steering servo with DDM billet servo arm
Spektrum 4000mah LiFe rx battery
Futaba 3PKs Tx

I also have a couple aesthetic mods:
DDM Billet Gas cap
DDM Billet pullstart handle

My paint job was done free hand with an airbrush when I was quite drunk and lacking any inspiration. But to be brutally honest, the body was completely hammered when I first did it, and it's only gotten worse. I might try to rehabilitate it over the winter. If I do, I'll post it here for you guys to eviscerate!

Once I've gotten the OBR motor fully tuned, I'm looking to go bonkers with structural upgrades as I break things. I'll keep this thread updated as that initiative progresses.

we would love to see a running vid

I'll work on getting some running vids once I'm done breaking in the new motor. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to get out and play this last while.

don't see many 5t's these days. I have a huge soft spot for them

Yeah since the TC cage came out, it's not a common look anymore for HPIs. I like the Class 1 look, but would need to buy a smaller pipe to get one to work, so it's just not a priority for me at the moment.

I have a lot of leftover body decals you can have the n/c if you want.

Thanks! I might take you up on that depending on what you have. I'd probably just want to replace my headlight decals and give it a proper paint job after I buff out the exterior.

about time you made a thread for y rig mr anubis

Right?!

My man, do you have a channel?

Not really, no. I have a couple short vids, but nothing serious: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyQkj1JxW5rGptQzxFQZXYw

Once I get the OBR fully broken in, I'd like to capture some more vids to post up showing what it does on stock gearing. My schedule and the weather have not been very agreeable on that front lately. There's a local BMX track I'd like to get some footage of as well once I have the truck dialed.

I'll try to get some video of my rehab job on the body this winter. There's some pretty major damage I'll attempt to repair prior to giving it a new paint job.

I honestly don't know what else I can record that would be of interest to anyone. ?‍♂️

Not really, no. I have a couple short vids, but nothing serious: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyQkj1JxW5rGptQzxFQZXYw

Once I get the OBR fully broken in, I'd like to capture some more vids to post up showing what it does on stock gearing. My schedule and the weather have not been very agreeable on that front lately. There's a local BMX track I'd like to get some footage of as well once I have the truck dialed.

I'll try to get some video of my rehab job on the body this winter. There's some pretty major damage I'll attempt to repair prior to giving it a new paint job.

I honestly don't know what else I can record that would be of interest to anyone. ?‍♂️
Hell yeah, maybe I can make it up there sometime to shoot some video. I love shooting video, I want to get a hold of a better camera and practice shooting techniques and learn some newer better video gear!

Hell yeah, maybe I can make it up there sometime to shoot some video. I love shooting video, I want to get a hold of a better camera and practice shooting techniques and learn some newer better video gear!

Better yet, bring your car up here as well! I'll try to scope some good off road spots for the spring time. Probably not going to be any optimal running spaces until after Feb.

The difference between the 5b and 5t are minimal. I converted my own and only needs to buy the 5t wheels wich are slightly bigger and thinner than those on the 5b.

Yeah, they're pretty close now, but not exactly minimal. When the 5t came out, it was about a $500+ upgrade to go from a B to a T. You needed the wheels, tires/foams, body mounts, side guards, splash guards, front bumper and skidplate, rear skid plate; a 19t drive gear and, of course, the truck shell. Not to mention that the 5t was using the VVC/HD shocks, which were not stock on the 5b until the SS and 2.0 came about.

Shocks aside, the B still needs a lot of parts just to get that truck shell installed to make it a T. But now you can get the Rovan 5T mount conversion kit for like $80US: https://www.rovanrc.com/product-rv85054-2

I'm actually thinking about grabbing a B shell kit so I can swap back and forth, but with my 5T pipe, I'll need to get something like a VRC pro-pipe to actually make it look an actual buggy!

5t jetpro.jpg
oh really rad man, I have a week off in February next year, I might dude!

So long as school is still in session, we can probably get a good run at the local BMX track at Eichler Park during the week without running over any small humans. I'll do what I can to recon over the winter.

I'm working over another friend of mine to see if I can groom him to get a large scale gasser as well. Having a few trucks running at once would be awesome!

Last edited:
Yeah, they're pretty close now, but not exactly minimal. When the 5t came out, it was about a $500+ upgrade to go from a B to a T. You needed the wheels, tires/foams, body mounts, side guards, splash guards, front bumper and skidplate, rear skid plate; a 19t drive gear and, of course, the truck shell. Not to mention that the 5t was using the VVC/HD shocks, which were not stock on the 5b until the SS and 2.0 came about.

Shocks aside, the B still needs a lot of parts just to get that truck shell installed to make it a T. But now you can get the Rovan 5T mount conversion kit for like $80US: https://www.rovanrc.com/product-rv85054-2

I'm actually thinking about grabbing a B shell kit so I can swap back and forth, but with my 5T pipe, I'll need to get something like a VRC pro-pipe to actually make it look an actual buggy!

View attachment 54653

So long as school is still in session, we can probably get a good run at the local BMX track at Eichler Park during the week without running over any small humans. I'll do what I can to recon over the winter.

I'm working over another friend of mine to see if I can groom him to get a large scale gasser as well. Having a few trucks running at once would be awesome!
Sounds really rad man, It could happen!

Sweet as ?? trying the phone controller all in one hand grab?

Yup! First go round. I'll try to get some better vids posted up at some point. Thanks for the tips on holding the phone to the TX!

Nice looking build. I do recommend a better pipe though.

My Jetpro is actually a very good pipe. A bit big for running anything other than the truck body, but the power band hits right where I like it.

At some point I'd like to get a VRC Pro or Big Bore, just for ease of working on it and to have the option to run a TC cage or Class 1 kit. But until I get this motor fully tuned and get a better feel for where I want the power to hit, the Jetpro works just fine. I really wish Olimat made a silenced pipe. I simply will not run non-silenced.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks