Any thoughts on Rovans 46cc engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bongo fury

Does this thing give good grunt or is it a damp squid? I know its a rovan so wont compare with an OBR or similar but its cheap. Any thoughts / opinions gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Does this thing give good grunt or is it a damp squid? I know its a rovan so wont compare with an OBR or similar but its cheap. Any thoughts / opinions gratefully recieved. Thanks.
Crap crap crap crap! If u want a engine to run for more than a month rovan isn't the way to go. @ZRC knows alot about rovan engine problems. Save ur cash and buy a zenoah. I u do want to get a big engine like that, rcmax or alx is the best. If u have a losi 5t then a rcmax alx or obr 46cc.
I'm not a fan of the Rovan engines.... cheap cheap cheap. Seam to hear about lots of issues. If you want (i know expensive) 45 cc engine get an orb or an rcmax. They cost twice as much but wont dissapoint. Just my opinion...
+1 gotta pay big bucks for big displacment

Last edited:
Looks kinda cheap quality imo, does have torque that's for sure

How can you tell ? It kills me when people give an opinion with out ever owning one . Sorry no offense intended . My 36cc has been fine and I imagine if the 46 is broken in correctly it would be a good engine too. But I have know idea .

How can you tell ? It kills me when people give an opinion with out ever owning one . Sorry no offense intended . My 36cc has been fine and I imagine if the 46 is broken in correctly it would be a good engine too. But I have know idea .
No offense taken. Good point but I didn't say IT IS cheap quality I said it LOOKS cheap ish. It is a possibility that it is good but I wouldnt risk it, I would just get me a zenoah, but I'm not tryna sway anyone to buy anything I'm just stating my opinion from personal experience with my rovan motor. Oh and if u can't tell I've had rovan km motors. Also it kills Mr aswell when people make up complete bs about stuff like for example, when random people who have only owned the original hpi Baja from hpi (nothing wrong with that) start yacking about how rovan/km are complete trash, break every run and so on and so forth. The only problem in my experience with rovan/km is that the servos and engines aren't very good, tho i did have good luck with my steering servo. I'm not saying rovan/km motors are complete crap and blow up on the first run (some do but it's rare) because I'm my experience that's wrong, my 30.5cc rovan lasted 6-7 months (not that short, not that long) which is OK, I'm just saying that rovan motors aren't great so I wouldnt

Last edited:
Please do not listen to people's opinions on the 45cc I have one and it's as good as any bigbore up to 55cc and its had 12 tanks through it look on YouTube it also has more power than the obr and zenoah engines few people had problems with them and gave them a bad name but I challenge anyone with another engine to prove me wrong if your local enough my 45cc mcd has never let me down
I get over 15000 rpm on grass under load and I run my engine rich you would be surprised of the power you get out of it when it's set up right forget about zenoah and the other brands this is the best bang for your buck
They don't know how to maintain an engine lol that's why my 45cc is 3 months old and ported I'd like to see a zenoah or obr beat it it's even left an rc max on a drag race once you have it dialled in and your exhaust right also add extra venting to the pullstart you will destroy those other waste of money engines and it is reliable I run mine on 20 to 1 rich as fcuk and once in a while strip and clean it its fast and well worth the price infact going by some of these other branded engines it's worth more
Good grunt trust me it will make a g340 and obr 46 look like a damp fly
Crap crap crap crap! If u want a engine to run for more than a month rovan isn't the way to go. @ZRC knows alot about rovan engine problems. Save ur cash and buy a zenoah. I u do want to get a big engine like that, rcmax or alx is the best. If u have a losi 5t then a rcmax alx or obr 46cc.

+1 gotta pay big bucks for big displacment
Yall talk re rubbish I get more power than your expensive engines from my 45cc and it's a cheap rovan
Please stop talking rubbish it's not an expensive bigbore but it has torque alot of it and high rpm once you port it it performs like any other bigbore upto 55cc if you set it up right it's a real beast I have one and it's running strong after 3/4 months you will lose if you drag race my 45cc mcd on grass or tarmac fact I'll

Attachments

• 20181017_193017.jpg
    20181017_193017.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Please do not listen to people's opinions on the 45cc I have one and it's as good as any bigbore up to 55cc and its had 12 tanks through it look on YouTube it also has more power than the obr and zenoah engines few people had problems with them and gave them a bad name but I challenge anyone with another engine to prove me wrong if your local enough my 45cc mcd has never let me down
I get over 15000 rpm on grass under load and I run my engine rich you would be surprised of the power you get out of it when it's set up right forget about zenoah and the other brands this is the best bang for your buck

They don't know how to maintain an engine lol that's why my 45cc is 3 months old and ported I'd like to see a zenoah or obr beat it it's even left an rc max on a drag race once you have it dialled in and your exhaust right also add extra venting to the pullstart you will destroy those other waste of money engines and it is reliable I run mine on 20 to 1 rich as fcuk and once in a while strip and clean it its fast and well worth the price infact going by some of these other branded engines it's worth more

Yall talk re rubbish I get more power than your expensive engines from my 45cc and it's a cheap rovan
hey TJ Glad you don't have a lemon it may be a question of hit and miss ......you got the hit(y)
welcome to the forum

hey TJ Glad you don't have a lemon it may be a question of hit and miss ......you got the hit(y)
welcome to the forum
Thanks it's all in the carb the venting and the exhaust get those right and it wont let you down it even starts easily I think it's all about the setup I can run this thing re fill the tank and run it again with no issues except for it's too much power for tarmac in my opinion even with a lightweight 4x4 mcd that's been geared up

Please stop talking rubbish it's not an expensive bigbore but it has torque alot of it and high rpm once you port it it performs like any other bigbore upto 55cc if you set it up right it's a real beast I have one and it's running strong after 3/4 months you will lose if you drag race my 45cc mcd on grass or tarmac fact I'll
Good for u ? I'd like to see you drag race a big bore 55cc and see what happens(not being sarcastic), I'm just talking out of my experience with rovan engines, for me their sh!t but for some others it's good, it's a hit or Miss really. I like engines that have consistent quality, not a hit or Miss, but if you do get hit (like u) then that's good. Also were did I say it don't have power? Never said that. Also in ur newest thread you say u have a YouTube channel, what's it's name? I'd like to see it rip. Also it would be nice if u had a Dyno sheet to back it up, becuase anything can feel more powerful than it really is.

Last edited:
Good for u [emoji106] I'd like to see you drag race a big bore 55cc and see what happens(not being sarcastic), I'm just talking out of my experience with rovan engines, for me their sh!t but for some others it's good, it's a hit or Miss really. I like engines that have consistent quality, not a hit or Miss, but if you do get hit (like u) then that's good. Also were did I say it don't have power? Never said that. Also in ur newest thread you say u have a YouTube channel, what's it's name? I'd like to see it rip. I can't fully agree that ur 45cc rovan can outrun a rcmax 55cc cuz they have like 14hp but I've never driven a rcmax nor do you have a Dyno sheet nor have we seen ur running. But I'd love to see it. [emoji106]
Rovan just has a bad reputation for their engines due to a few people thinking the hoppy didn't require knowledge on DIY hence why some people first action when they have a problem is to send it bk or contact the manufacturer rather than take a good look at the problem it's a powerful engine when you have it set up and it will disappoint alot of expensive engines because its lighter cheaper and can match the power my Channel doesn't have much yet but enough for you to get an idea on the engine due to bad weather

Ghost TV is my channel search rovan 45cc mcd and you will find me

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Good for u [emoji106] I'd like to see you drag race a big bore 55cc and see what happens(not being sarcastic), I'm just talking out of my experience with rovan engines, for me their sh!t but for some others it's good, it's a hit or Miss really. I like engines that have consistent quality, not a hit or Miss, but if you do get hit (like u) then that's good. Also were did I say it don't have power? Never said that. Also in ur newest thread you say u have a YouTube channel, what's it's name? I'd like to see it rip. Also it would be nice if u had a Dyno sheet to back it up, becuase anything can feel more powerful than it really is.
My 36cc with a stock zenoah can exhaust once it got into its top end is also fast enough to catch and pass an rcmax 55cc I hadn't even ported it then and I was told don't get a rovan get a zenoah blah blah blah but I went for the rovan and I'm glad I did I think they are only hit and miss in the wrong hands http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5bf976b22d436/VID-20180902-WA0006.mp4

Rovan just has a bad reputation for their engines due to a few people thinking the hoppy didn't require knowledge on DIY hence why some people first action when they have a problem is to send it bk or contact the manufacturer rather than take a good look at the problem it's a powerful engine when you have it set up and it will disappoint alot of expensive engines because its lighter cheaper and can match the power my Channel doesn't have much yet but enough for you to get an idea on the engine due to bad weather

Ghost TV is my channel search rovan 45cc mcd and you will find me

Nice ? I subscribed. It is fast but I would really like to see it run a 55cc or a 46cc. The obr 46cc (Imo) inst really anything special, it's just a cy 46 with porting that makes 10hp and costs way too much. Dude I wish u lived somewhere near me so we could race when my custom 70cc is done, it should make like 20-22hp ?

Nice [emoji106] I subscribed. It is fast but I would really like to see it run a 55cc or a 46cc. The obr 46cc (Imo) inst really anything special, it's just a cy 46 with porting that makes 10hp and costs way too much.
My point exactly it's a true 45cc whatever designt the casing is Cy rovan zenoah rcmax an engine is and engine displacement is displacement it could be a lidl 45cc still 45cc none of them are anything special and with obr they ain't special they port Cy and zenoah so what's your point ? Engine block made by anybody is still an engine block or does it have to be made by a specific brand to be the best or even ported by them? I ported my rovan myself as I do every engine I get

Teejay... You obviously have a better understanding of the inner working of a 2 stroke than most. I have no doubt yours runs great. Most people don't go into porting a new engine or even want to open them up. The hard truth is a lot of people have issues with them from the get go. No doubt they can be made into a great engine.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks