anybody running a k & n air filter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmaiz22

recently got a dbxl with 34cc cat 5 stroker motor and installed a k&n filter velocity stack and outerwear.followed all break in and oil ratios to the letter.made It through one gallon of gas and motor lost compression.sent back to largescale and was told filter let dirt into motor and wore it out.told me not to use a k&n filter cause they are motor killers.does anyone else use a k&n on here or heard anything bad about using them on rcs .have used them myself on everything I own with a motor and never had a problem.banshee is going on 15 years with one and never been rebuilt and runs like the day I bought it

everything I have ever read is don't use one for anything but maybe onroad use,, I use a 2 stage uni filter with a outwears cover for my Baja which a bit larger then the ones on most sites, its for a dirtbike,, lube with maxima fft oil (foam filter treatment) super sticky stuff to catch the dirt.
The short stack filters from uni filter that are on most rc sites, ddm, largescalerc , tgn,, I would think would work good with the 2 stage cover and the outwears for it,, I think for all 3 pieces they are about 45 bucks, then get some good high quality dirt bike filter oil,,, u should be golden after that

As long as there maintained properly I don't see the issue, cleaned and oiled regularly? I had a zenoah g2d engine that died last year in my fg and that engine was best part 18 yr old, that had been run with a k & n all its life,

The location of the filter in most K&N intake systems is in a position which is safer and ingest less water. This greatly improves life, for those living in very much dry climates, a cold air intake may provide a higher power increases on some vehicles. Because K&N filters use an oiled filtering element, possibility may arise of long term problems in vehicles equipped with mass air flow sensors because oil can build up over time and cause fouling or errors in the sensor which require cleaning. For those living in California, is that K&N intake systems are not CARB exempt, meaning they are not legal for use on public roads. It should be noted that this only applies to K&N’s air intake systems, and not the filter itself, which does not violate any of California’s strict emissions laws.

The location of the filter in most K&N intake systems is in a position which is safer and ingest less water. This greatly improves life, for those living in very much dry climates, a cold air intake may provide a higher power increases on some vehicles. Because K&N filters use an oiled filtering element, possibility may arise of long term problems in vehicles equipped with mass air flow sensors because oil can build up over time and cause fouling or errors in the sensor which require cleaning. For those living in California, is that K&N intake systems are not CARB exempt, meaning they are not legal for use on public roads. It should be noted that this only applies to K&N’s air intake systems, and not the filter itself, which does not violate any of California’s strict emissions laws.
We are talking about rc cars here right, not regular full-size cars driven on the roads.

They are not what you want on any engine, from an RC fo a vehicle. The reason they allow more air into an engine is because the holes are bigger, which you guessed it allows bigger dirt particles in your engine. Stick with a paper filter or a dual stage foam filter and maintain them. Even if they are maintained well they still suck, and they are even worse in a small engine like that as any dirt can do major damage.

Sure people on here will say I've been running tun for blah blah blah amounts of time. It's not a matter of if, but when that dirt will cause an issue.

Uni filters are designed for air boxes ,automobiles, dirt bikes, atvs all benefit from them. On these bajas your not gonna see any improvement in airflow there basically a novelty on these 1/5th scalers .Properly oiled and maintained foam air filter elements are the best protection period.

I run them on both my Baja and DBXL. On the DBXL I put a TGN 2 stage Red Neck filter around the K&N filter. The Baja rarely sees dirt but is occasionally run in grass. As long as you check it after every run, I don't see a problem.
20180317_151709-3.jpg 20180317_152957-1.jpg

I took the 2nd stage part off of a new nitro filter I had laying around lightly oiled it and stretched it to fit around the red part of the filter....I run it hard in dirt and mud never had a problem but my car and motor is still new less than four tanks so far but I think this is the best protection for it if you are really running one....

The biggest problem with the k&n set up on a stock dbxl is the filter doesn't really seal against the backing plate that well. Other then that it up to you. I ditched mine as I agree that they may not give the best filtering, but to each his own

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks