Anyone running a pair of standard size servos for steering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzsaw46

I've been playing with the idea. I've found several high torque standard size servos in the 5-600oz-in that weigh less than 3oz so a pair would be under 6oz where the Hitec D845 is 8oz. The main downfall is cost, as the high quality name brand standard servos are in the $150-$190 range. Which starts making a single Spekturm 9020 more appealing. Just bouncing setup ideas off the wall.

I'm currently running a 1000sgt on my main truck and a D845 on the backup. What got me thinking about standard size servos is there seems to be a lot more innovations in that class. As you dig into the specs they start to look even better due to the weight and speed.

A buddy went dual D845s for this season, 16oz of servo for ~1400oz-in of torque. The Savox 2290sg is rated 694oz-in and only 2.86oz so I could get the same torque at under 6oz of servos, the downfall is they cost $160ea, but $320 is still pretty cheap compared to the $475 ish I spent on the 1000sgt setup.

Another servo that is appealing is the Tekin T-440 502oz-in and magnetic position encoder, only 2.57oz.

MKS also has a couple servos in the 570-580oz-in range.

My big concern is weather or not the standard size servos will handle the abuse a ~40lb truck can dish out. Maybe I'm better off going with dual S9010s same weight and torque as my 1000sgt but considerably cheaper.

So, after much thinking and searching I think the Spektrum S9020 looks like the best option for a light weight setup. Only 5oz and 1050oz-in, coupled with a standard sized throttle/brake the pair of servos will be lighter than a single D845.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks