Anyone use a drill start instead of pull start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabidfox50

I was looking at a few drill start kits out there on the interwebz and was wondering if anyone has them. My Associated MGT had one and it was a joy to use. Looking to put one on my T1000.

I have the Killer RC drill start on mine. It uses the same bit as my leaf blower. I love it. After years I finally got tired of pull starts that either break or take too much effort. The drill start is worth it's weight in gold.

Problems MIGHT come if you're the impatient, insensitive to mechanical sympathy kind, and the engine might get flooded - something could get damaged more easily than the hand pull, they say.

Personally I like the idea as well, it's just more gear to carry around.

Al.

My car starts with 6 pulls when cold using the choke and 2 when warm. I really don't see the need.

The Killer RC unit is exactly the one I may get. Currently I'm in the process of completely breaking down my truck and will be reassembling it using the Baja 5SC kit Instructions. Within the process I will order the root start. I personally hate pull starters. I wish I had more time to devote to my Baja but at this time it's a project that gets very little time. Perhaps in a few months I will have more time but til then it's going to be a long road.

I have a racing background so anything that makes starting easy is the way to go. I must have six bump boxes sitting in my garage and several root starts for various RCs. That reminds me. I need to sell some stuff, lol.

I know the feeling. I don't have much time and I hate pull start. I'm hoping to get back to work and order a bunch of parts here soon.

I started using it when I got my tx16 beast & I have to admit I don't miss that pull start at all. Not that I had any problems starting a car. Just had issues with the rope not retracting some times. lot less maintenance with out it. used it for full season without any problems. I modified a align helicopter stater and use it instead of a screw gun.

For some reason all of my pull starts claw (whatever its called), would carry every once in a while along the flywheel teeth and eat them up.
In the course of 6 months, I was on my 3rd flywheel and about the 4th or 5th pull start. Decided to give it a try to KillerRC (bought at DDM) bit adapter and housing, I understand what others where saying how practical it is. Just got to watch out the wrist when the drill is set to torque, and if the one way bearing fails, can turn out ugly real quick.

Its over-priced for a silly metal adapter and a plastic cover with a whimpy cnc coupler.

The Killerrc power start uses an external OWB (on the bit). It's the same one I use to start my leaf blower and has not failed in 2 years. It is a much better solution than the internal OWB (like the ones on the Savage which failed all the time (so much so that I kept a spare)).

Correct, the OWB is in the bit. Its good to know, I am terrified it will not work and snap my wrist on the way with drill bit and all, lol.

Did the green pad mod, inside the grills and the pull cord hole to stop any dirt, pebbles from getting into the flywheel. Went to Ace Hardware and got me some over-size washers, gorilla glue, installed them inside the aluminum hole into the plastic housing. It is a metal tube pressed in into the plastic and thats it, little on the cheap side if you ask me. With the washers and gorilla glue the metal neck is not going anywhere.

Nice to see you around in the forums Preacher, how is the on-road baja project doing?

If you have a drill with an adjustable clutch, just adjust the clutch to the lowest setting that will spin the motor and you should not have any issues with it.

That's how I have mine, low setting, first time I used it, it almost spun me around, had my drill on the highest torque setting from some home repair and forgot to re-set it. But man it works very nice.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks