Axial SMT10 Chassis color change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickDizzle

Isaiah 41:10
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
I have been working on some 1/10th E rigs and building more scale Monsters. My question is on one of my Axial SMT10 chassis, I want to change its color from green to blue. I have a Grave Digger in my collection that I have been building and just scored another one for ridiculously cheap brand new. This one I am building into Son Uva Digger. I have dyed RC parts for many years w no issues. However I don't think I will be able to successfully dye it from Digger green to blue without having to make it really dark blue which isnt what I want. So I am contemplating two different approaches;
1. Blow apart the chassis/cage scuff it all, shoot adhesion promoter and then use the special Krylon Enamel Fusion for plastic primer then color. I know it will not permanently hold up but should last a good while.
2. Same as above, but dye the chassis black first so if/when it does scuff it wont show through as bad as bright green under.

I am just unsure if dying the chassis first will impact adhesion capability of the plastic.

Thoughts / ideas?

Thanks fellas.

P.S. I know this is a large scale brap forum...just value you guys feedback even on 1/10 e rigs...thus I posted in other RCs.
😜

Last edited:
Neither is a great choice, really. That krylon paint is straight up garbage as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't last very long. at least the few times I've used it, it's totally sucked. I would actually say to use lexan paint on it. It's more specifically geared towards the plastics used in rc, and we have known brands that work excellently.
Idk how the dye would affect paint adhesion, may be test a scrap piece and see how it sticks.

I plan to just do a complete scuff, degrease and prep wash, prime with Tamiya TS and shoot w TS. Neither of these rigs are being built as bashers more scale and fun runs.

@Troopermaniac had the great suggestion of Tamiya paint which I didnt even think about. Im gonna use the TS as the PS is for clear polycarbonate bodies and the TS can have enamel or acrylic put over top for detail work.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks