Baja sbk worth it or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopes3d

Build Thread Contributor
Potentially looking at the new baja kit priced up with a g290, Savox/hi tech basic servos, basic 3 channel trans and killswitch in and around £1300.

Question is it really worth it compared to buying a km and spending 400/500 upgrades to get it up together? Or even picking one up second hand and doing a rebuild

It probably would be now, but only if HPI have full parts support to go with it. The HPI diff gears are solid, far stronger than KM or Rovan, and the driveshafts are surprisingly strong too

I guess it comes down to nostalgia in a way, and the fact its a kit, which i love, but also the quality of Rovan and KM is sub par to say the least

I plan on getting the brushless kit and putting the stock DBXLe electrics in it have from my recent purchase

Also with the clones, the servos are junk, and the engines are hit and miss too, sometimes they last, but more than often they don't, so you could be forced to replace them soon too

I think the HPI with a nice Zen engine and decent servos will bring a smile to your face, trust me. When you pull a clone Baja out of its box you'll be disappointed, it looks nice new and shiny, but it's all down hill from there 😉

Last edited:
My 2 cents. What originally attracted me to the HPI many years ago (I had the original and an SS), was the fact it was designed by the same designer as the Kyosho Ultima. And I loved the Ultima's looks. I am planning on getting an SBK when they release.

If price isn't an issue the sbk is probably the way to go. I almost prefer the building over driving now a days so the kit is a bonus in my eyes. Exactly what I should have done myself although I didn't want to take a leap like that stepping into 1/5th scale. The only second hand ones I could find cost more than the kits so I decided against that also. I was sick of waiting to find "the one" so I went the Rovan way and my rovan is about a week old and having issues already. I can not compare quality as I have no experience with a HPI Baja 5B.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks