Baja tank vs clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmon

I just ordered a billet tank cap from DDM and it does not fit. It is too big, slipping down over the threads with out contacting. My question is if anyone can verify that the clone fuel tank has a smaller filler? It's the only thing I can think of.... that the previous owner swapped in a clone tank. The cap is not an HPI, so I think it is likely.

Any info would be much appreciated.

I thought that Hpi, rovan and km fuel tanks were the same

I know that Fg and mcd takes a smaller fuel cap

It's an old first generation HPI 5B that I bought used and worn out. It had some clone parts, was mostly HPI parts but a lot of the HPI parts didn't have the HPI branding on it. Near as I can tell, it was one of the first cars built and they didn't slap HPI over everything. You can tell when there is a clone part - for instance, any of the black plastic is shiny if clone and matte if it's HPI. But this tank.... I don't know. I am going to replace it anyway - the cap does not seal and the tank is stained and always grubby looking. And now that I've redone the entire buggy for get up and go, I can make it look pretty....

100_0672.gif
100_0676.gif

Sorry it's not clean, but..... why should it be? It's not a shelf queen!

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks