Bantamweight Baja

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brake disc and top plate fitted. I lapped the brake disc on some 800 grit wet n dry. 👍🏽 I bet most people don’t do this which is why they are poop if you don’t as they will glaze over.
534D954A-A312-4FA3-9D14-37AC8E2AE726.jpeg
Rear arms and drive shafts done as well.
69FDBC19-05FC-4B98-A532-AD967D840D89.jpeg
So when I get up tomorrow or later today for me, I’ll be sorting the engine and clutch out.

I need to decide on an engine but at the mo I’m set on the Oddified 34cc and I’ll keep the BZM 26cc for another time. The 40cc SF is going in the other build. So I’ll have an SF 340 pro, an ESP 34 and a Darksoul Sikk 26cc.

Am I wrong or should I pick a different engine?

Last edited:
Cheers mate. 👍🏽
Sf 34👍🏻 build is coming along nicely f
I thought about it but they are rare now plus I’m just taking it out of the other Kraken. Gonna replace that with the SF RC40.

The Oddified is easily bought again just like an OBR but in the UK. Ian is prickly but straight forward from the dealings I’ve had.

Im going to to be trying his ECU out I’ve heard mixed poop about it but I’ll see for myself and do some real world testing to see if it makes a difference or not.

I should also add they are Team Chase rear uprights and genuine HPI HD 7075 supports (hens teeth).
FLM arms
IRP Rod ends
Hostile lightweight rear hubs
RS Fruitbat axle extenders and Ti layshaft
Bonehead full carbon kit with Bonesteer
UBER RC Carbon chassis
All plastic genuine HPI or Kraken or Team Chase
Mecatech front brakes
Full force Carbon rear brake
JS alloy tank
Ti hinge pins
RC MAX gearbox
IRC Diff
BTP (Baja Titanium Parts) gears
Modded PCSC

I‘ll update when I remember the things I’ve forgot.

Last edited:
I’ve weighed most of my engines apart from the Scott Finlay Pro MX340 but I reckon it’s the same or very similar to the G320. All engines have carbs installed, the ones with clutches ha e FS clutches which weigh about 140g. I’ll be using a Mielke clutch which weighs about 70g

Oddified 34cc = 2050g No clutch
DarkSoul Sikk 26cc = 2130g With clutch
Zen G320 = 2256g With clutch
BZM 26cc = 2275g No clutch
SF RC40 = 3553g No clutch

62A9B489-BAC6-43B3-8649-04C9CB2DB83F.jpeg

7133D179-93C3-442A-B4CB-61EAA83AA6C6.jpeg

8220B360-18E3-4A86-B4BB-21A35DE8428D.jpeg

70187152-EA59-4E5B-B6A1-F1C7236D7499.jpeg

79B0DC58-4A87-4515-B3A9-57E6C5900F84.jpeg

I'll just sliiide this in here. http://www.blackoutmods.com/product/carbon-fiber-engine-cover/
Hahaha I did see this then I read the disclaimer at the bottom of the page. I’ll pass thanks because it’s not for bashing.

All the carbon on my rig is made in the UK apart from the brake disc and it’s been made to bash. I’m trying to go light but not at the expense of strength.
If you look hard enough you will notice its 3d printed. That's allot of trust in something that can melt near your engine also the cover is supposed to double as a load bearing chassis part if im not mistaken.
Its the last part I want flex in as well. I’ll be sticking with metal here. 👍🏽

Last edited:
Its a nice looking cover 🤔 don't see how it would flex🤷‍♂️ .....could see if you where bashing with M8s and some tboned you it could crack😤 so yes there is a risk involved
It’s thin. The Bonehead and UBER stuff is 5mm thick minimum and also cleverly weaved. Not so sure about that cover and I wouldn’t chance it at that price.

I think in a Baja it’s defo a structural part, but maybe in an MCD or Losi it’s different story.

For sure 👍 suppose if you wanted the carbon look get an engine shroud out of cf rather👍🏻
It’s thin. The Bonehead and UBER stuff is 5mm thick minimum and also cleverly weaved. Not so sure about that cover and I wouldn’t chance it at that price.

I think in a Baja it’s defo a structural part, but maybe in an MCD or Losi it’s different story.

Dbxl motor mounts bolt through the lower holes on the fan case. Wouldn't trust it for a second

Right I’ve made some small but significant progress. I’ve installed the Vertigo clutch housing on the Oddified and Mielke clutch. This thing should spin up like nothing you’ve seen before. I have high hopes..............but low expectations. 😂😂😂

27B2CCD1-5563-43F4-8E9E-39D00644F5CB.jpeg

Im so happy with my drive train so far it’s super promising. The clutch weighs about 80g and the is no holder. The Oddifield engine also has a lightened flywheel so the rotating mass on this Baja is as light as possible apart from the PCSC, but even that will have carbon plates shortly. Everything else that can be Ti will be. Gears and shaft.

I was installing the Killer RC Super Bee but I broke a spade connector so I put that in the spares bucket and reverted to a SwitchBlade 2 which is quality. The spade connectors on the Killer RC were garbage and lose on the coil and I’ll need to sort it, but not for this build. The Switchblade is super good and proven massively in the UK, albeit basic in comparison, but it does the job.

The Mielke clutch is set to 9500rpm and can go down a thousand to 8500rpm or up by 2 x 1000 increments. I’m using 2 x Aluminium and 1 x carbon pad. I‘ll see how this pans out before I change. It engages in reverse for a softer hit, the forward engaging one will be going in the 40.

Sharp eyes will notice I’ve fitted a glitch filter and an MSD coil wire also. 👍🏾
So I’m not decided on the clutch bell housing or carb. The clutch bell housing I want to with Vertigo for strength and consistency, but HPI HD and a metal bracket is lighter and more ventilated with bigger bearings.

C3984C83-8A0A-48B9-8D43-EA65751A4E3E.jpeg
26584ABF-D6BF-49B5-A732-C66ACE5E10D2.jpeg
BC0C98F1-FF89-4027-AEF5-CE5EF631173A.jpeg

The TR one is going in the other build.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks