Battery issues with DBXL-E 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trxrdr17

Hi All,

When I got my DBXL-E 2.0, the hobby shop sold me (2) Power Hobby 4S 5200mAH 50C batteries. I later bough a set of Power Hobby 4S 8000mAH 100C batteries. I ran 3-4 times and then upgraded the pinion to a 15T and also added motor fans. When I ran them today for the first time, the 5200mAH barely lasted 10 mins before cutoff kicked in. The batteries were hot and may have been puffed, however it was very hard to tell if they were pulled due to the hard case they're in... I ran the 8000mAH batteries and they were much warmer than I wanted when I was done.

When I got home, I plugged all 4 into my Venom charger to return them to storage voltage. 1 battery won't charge and gives a low voltage error. Here are the cell readings from both 5200mAH batteries:

Took charge - 2.88, 2.75, 2.62, 3.11
Won't charge - 2.59, 2.54, 2.69, 2.70

Not sure what I did wrong? I haven't touched the cutoff voltage level programmed in the ESC, it's still set to medium (the middle setting). I no expert with Lipo batteries, but I know they aren't supposed to get too warm or puffy. If I have a junk battery, I'm not sure I want to go with Power Hobby again.

I think your not supposed to go below 3.2 v when I had my dbxl- e 1.0 my batteries where @120c it use to dump massive power in 10minutes and they where also pretty warm, hot my batteries also use to puff in hard case but the case use to split open and then shrink back I think my esc was set to high at 3.4v and then straight into storage mode after use if you can't charge them or put them in storage mode they have a couple of tricks to restore them on Google but I would just Chuck them buy new ones. Good luck ?

Losi125,

I was able to tickle the low voltage battery back up. I might try setting the ESC to high cutoff instead of medium. The 50C batteries might just not be up to snuff in general? What were the make/model of your 120C Lipo? Any recommendations? There aren't many Lipos over 100C and they tend to be expensive.

So like mike said 3.2 volts per cell is as low as you want to go. Running the cells lower than that has caused damage to the packs. And 10 min is about all you should expect out of a run. You lvc is set too low if it cuts off bellow 3.2 volts. Not trying to be a peepee, but lipo is way different then the old nicd or nimh packs. And 50c is kinda light for a 1/5 brushless system (like you've guessed) 90 or 100c should be about a minimum.

Seandonato73,

I wish I knew what Voltages "high, medium, low" cutoff settings were in the stock ESC. I certainly didn't run the vehicle past it's "medium" low voltage cutoff setting. Do you guys run the Lipo alarms like planes/drones?

I don't in my land stuff, I do in my bigger helis. The few e machines I have I can program the esc with castle link software, and low voltage cut off is normally a parameter. Did you happen to see if the manual states what low, medium and high setting relate to? I find it odd that it didnt call out a voltage.

I do the same. I run LVC or a battery alarm at 3.4-3.5V under load. Which means there's less chance for the battery to drop below 3V/cell under load. That's going to damage and significantly shorten the lifespan of your lipos. 3.2V LVC should not even be an ESC option IMO.

Also, as mentioned above, no need to charge back up to storage voltage. I always stop at 3.80-3.85V/cell resting voltage.

Losi125,

I was able to tickle the low voltage battery back up. I might try setting the ESC to high cutoff instead of medium. The 50C batteries might just not be up to snuff in general? What were the make/model of your 120C Lipo? Any recommendations? There aren't many Lipos over 100C and they tend to be expensive.
https://www.rcjuice.com/lipo-batter...-8v-4s-120c-hardcase-lipo-battery-low-ir.html get yourself some lipo bags
https://www.rcjuice.com/leopard-58113-v2-4-pole-brushless-sensorless-motor-for-1-5-scale.html

Last edited:
Losi125 - thanks, I definately have a few sets of lipo bags for charging and transport. I have an ammo can for storage.

All - I will set my LVC to “high” and see if that helps along with some new lipos. I can change timing on my ESC. What exaclty does changing timing accomplish?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks