Beadlock screws comming lose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan K.

Hey guys. I'm having issues with beadloc screws backing out on my DBXL. I switched over to the self tapping style beadloc screws because the stock screw threaded type kept coming loose. Nothing was stripped, I tightened everything snug. The self tapping style was better, but they still backed out too. I was throwing a lot of weight around on the grass to get it to drift and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it, the tires were probably trying to rip out of the beadloc rings. Anyways, on the front a few were loose, but on the rears half of the screws almost completely backed out.

So I've read a lot of people use crazy glue on the screws. I decided to try this. The CA glue seems to destroy the threads. I guess because it attacks the plastic basically it strips every single hole. I can keep turning the screws until the glue dries, then it's rock solid. I guess this is a permanently solution as the threads are messed up and most likely it'll be a pain to remove the screws afterwards. What other options do I have? Can I just reglue it or are the threads ruined now? I guess I could drill out of the threads and use a nut and bolt on each beadloc hole? What are you guys doing to prevent this?

Attachments

• dfjjt.jpg
    dfjjt.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 13
Mine aren't stainless, but using the same screws. Maybe I was just throwing it around too hard in the grass. Full speed then threw it into a corner drifting with weight shifting.

What happens a lot of times is electric drills are used at high speeds which then deforms the bed of the screws.

Or they over tighten them which does the same thing, chews up the plastic grooves inside the rim. So the screw ends up with nothing to bite on to

+ you add the abuse these wheels go thru and BAM disaster

You can use gorilla glue in each screw and those bad boys will never come out again.

You need new rims at this point anyway so you might as well try to save these ??

I never use a drill when I tighten the beadloc screws. I do them all by hand. I actually messed up my first set of proline desperados years ago by doing this. Anyways, I don't overtighten them either. I can hand tighten each one of the screws until snug. However, as I said after using the superglue, all the threads are ruined. I'm pretty sure guys who race at the track won't have the same experience. You guys don't race on grass and I don't know how many people actually throw their buggies into a pendulum swing drift on grass at full speed. That's my fault for sure. The amount of bite from the tires probably pulled hard on the beadloc rings. Still, I'm surprised the threads weren't stripped and the screws simply backed out. Is there a product like threadlock except for metal on plastic? I think the next step might be to get the DDM aluminum wheels and threadlock the screws onto there. I've read some old threads on HPI Baja forums where people literally used a nylon nut and screw for every single beadlock screw. Odd that nobody seems to be having this issue but me. It seems to have been an issue with HPI Baja's in the past. I do remember the original HPI Baja beadlock rims used very short screws.

It seems to have been an issue with HPI Baja's in the past. I do remember the original HPI Baja beadlock rims used very short screws.

Maybe with the first gen 5B, but I've been running a 5T with stock wheels and beadlocks for over 10 years. I run Hostile MXTs with Kold Kutters on the grass fields here and have torqued the piss out of them in turns and drifts without a single hiccup.

I've been running Mad Max rims on the rear this season in the same area without any issues, but I don't quite trust them as much as the HPI wheels. Could just be your rim is from a bad batch at the factory. ?‍♂️

I think your next option for those wheels is possibly wood screws, I know a few of the lads I bash with use them on their bashing wheels, don't look overly nice but bite well and don't back out. I have a set of wheels that I use some drywall screws on the beadlocks, get a good bite and not had an issue yet.
I think the stock beadlock screws are M2.5x8mm or M3x8mm.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks