Best excuse to Not let your neighbour drive your 5th scale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dashz

I was invaded by zombies when doing some Baja’ing and the children just wouldnt stop begging for me to handle them the radio.

I was like: its expensive dude.
Them: we wont crash it.
Me: you will
Them: no
Me: you can watch
Them: but can you let us drive it (looking intensively into my eyes)
Me: nope sorry too fast and dangerous
Them: We have one too we know how this rolls
Me: “proceed to do donuts”, you can request one to Santa next year
Them: Santa doesn't exist
Me: he does, he brought me this rc

I have had parents being annoyed at me not letting their children drive the rc, which is even worse than a kid not understanding that even though it is a toy it is a dangerous one.

Nobody has asked me thankfully... tons of questions about them...
We usually run in an open field by a park... its a field for parking but with Covid it has been empty... but its also near a trails and a dog park, so some people walk by... The best was a family of 3. Their kid was probably 4 with parents phone, taking pictures.... he saw my Baja and probably took 100 fotos... did a little show for him doing donuts, parking it close so he could take pics (always a snails pace when approaching), some medium speed passes at a distance... kid had a blast.

but for sure, a polite "its very heavy, very fast, and very expensive... sorry" should suffice. I am sure if their parents drove a Porsche they would not be willy nilly letting you take it for a spin.

Alot of bad stuff happens and possible liability depending on how bad the scenario goes. Not to mention the amount of money involved in the rig and the fact that the situation can make for a bad relationship with your neighbor if they don't pay up

I’ve only let a guy drive my 5ive b once cuz he was cool had a dirt bike and shows us all about it. He asked cautiously and I let him and just told him the precautions. He asked me if I knew how to ride but I didn’t. I wouldn’t do it again only guy I might let run my car is another rc guy and that’s just maybe. We also let some other guys run a nitro or 2 a while ago. They came with their little toy grade car and helicopter. Lol funny story when they were coming my mgt was running out of fuel and yk how the nitro does that little run away before it shuts off yea I drove under their car while they were still parking, close call. Anyways after showing off their toy grades it was our turn. They were so amazed and intrested. We had some big helicopters back then but didn’t bring them. We let them run the nitros which I was uncomfortable doing but whatever. They had a lot of fun. But I pushed for us to leave soon after because I wanted nobody touching my trucks, I was little. Those guys probably remembered that day they got to try hobby grade rcs.

I am never reluctant to show and tell kids and even adults all about the rcs and if they want to buy I’ll recommend them to my lhs who I know will take good care of them. When it comes to driving them however, no.

Alot of bad stuff happens and possible liability depending on how bad the scenario goes. Not to mention the amount of money involved in the rig and the fact that the situation can make for a bad relationship with your neighbor if they don't pay up
✅

My neighbors have never asked to run my rigs...they will come out and watch when I'm running in the neighborhood and sit and reminisce about the older days of RC. Parent's walking with younger kids usually ask if they can watch for a bit, I always say sure and show them where I would like them to stand, usually right next to and slightly behind me. I will do a few passes then pull up very slowly next to the little kids so they can see and hear it. This approach has tended to keep neighbors happy and not turned them into an issue.

At the local park...whole other story. Kids come running out of nowhere, ask 1000 questions, and like to tell me how their "friend" has one just like mine. Respectful kids, I will usually shut down and answer their questions and help them understand the hobby. Some parents ask what I recommend they start their kid off with and so on...other parents scream at their kids to "stay away from him and his stuff." I had a youngster about 10 a couple months ago, super respectful walk over and introduce himself. He could speak to what I was running at the time and for his age had accurate knowledge. My daughter let him run her Stampede unsolicited by the lil guy. He was beaming w joy...about 2 mins in his mom came over yelling at him about how I am a stranger and not to talk to strangers. My daughter who was 13 at the time was like wow...Karens.... lol! I tried to introduce my daughter and I to her and she was not having it. I understand her concern of stranger danger...but we were 50 yards deep into the wide open grass playfield at the park with tool boxes, 5 rigs to include the Raminator...not like we were gonna snatch and grab him. Lol.
Things I have learned running RCs...running mid day on a weekdays both neighborhood and parks when kids are at school and adults are working equals my most relaxing run times.

My neighbors have never asked to run my rigs...they will come out and watch when I'm running in the neighborhood and sit and reminisce about the older days of RC. Parent's walking with younger kids usually ask if they can watch for a bit, I always say sure and show them where I would like them to stand, usually right next to and slightly behind me. I will do a few passes then pull up very slowly next to the little kids so they can see and hear it. This approach has tended to keep neighbors happy and not turned them into an issue.

At the local park...whole other story. Kids come running out of nowhere, ask 1000 questions, and like to tell me how their "friend" has one just like mine. Respectful kids, I will usually shut down and answer their questions and help them understand the hobby. Some parents ask what I recommend they start their kid off with and so on...other parents scream at their kids to "stay away from him and his stuff." I had a youngster about 10 a couple months ago, super respectful walk over and introduce himself. He could speak to what I was running at the time and for his age had accurate knowledge. My daughter let him run her Stampede unsolicited by the lil guy. He was beaming w joy...about 2 mins in his mom came over yelling at him about how I am a stranger and not to talk to strangers. My daughter who was 13 at the time was like wow...Karens.... lol! I tried to introduce my daughter and I to her and she was not having it. I understand her concern of stranger danger...but we were 50 yards deep into the wide open grass playfield at the park with tool boxes, 5 rigs to include the Raminator...not like we were gonna snatch and grab him. Lol.
Things I have learned running RCs...running mid day on a weekdays both neighborhood and parks when kids are at school and adults are working equals my most relaxing run times.
Me too
I run at the local soccer field on week days.

I was invaded by zombies when doing some Baja’ing and the children just wouldnt stop begging for me to handle them the radio.

I was like: its expensive dude.
Them: we wont crash it.
Me: you will
Them: no
Me: you can watch
Them: but can you let us drive it (looking intensively into my eyes)
Me: nope sorry too fast and dangerous
Them: We have one too we know how this rolls
Me: “proceed to do donuts”, you can request one to Santa next year
Them: Santa doesn't exist
Me: he does, he brought me this rc

I have had parents being annoyed at me not letting their children drive the rc, which is even worse than a kid not understanding that even though it is a toy it is a dangerous one.
I won’t let someone “drive” my wife, so they can’t drive my RC.

When I used to race sportbikes, some would ask to ride my bike. It was a common thing to say in my group, "put $10K in my hand to hold on to, if you drop it, you bought it." Needless to say the only people who showed up with cash, was those who actually intended to buy it. I have told a few something similar when it came to running these large scale rigs. Most are in disbelief once they whip out their smartphone and search the cost of these rigs. Then most understand. The ones that don't, f**k them, tell them to buy one at DDM.

I liked Phil's answer. As it is close to mine. My older (he is 6 yrs older so 56) brother asked to use mine. (and I even set it at low speed) 2 lane road to drive, yet he crashes (3 times) the first crash was 3 feet, and he hit my mailbox. (So I showed him again, how to CORRECTLY drive a slow car)
Being my brother and no damage (as it was only 3 feet). I let him try again, he made it 5 feet before going off the road, and under my actual car.

That was on slow (it was my nitro) I say slow, but that means at full throttle 40ish MPH. As I have hit (on speed setup) 89mph with that car.

On the Limitless (obviously not nitro or gas) I have a heavy duty setup in there, and have not been able to get it over 95~97mph (not enough open area)
I need at least 1/4 mile straight-away. But the setup, in theory can hit ~120ish.

Very interesting thread. I agree with replies suggesting simple no. And some trolling or ignoring if they persist.
You don't need excuse. They need excuse why ud let them, drive anything of yours.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks