Big bore problem!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CALIC

Hi all,

After installing Onill borekit into my fg baja the engine just wont start :no:

At first i can pull the cable but after 5-6 time but then it just froze cant full it at all. I replaced the old spark plug wih new 1 but still no luck.

Any help will b great.

Last edited:
Does the engine turn over smoothly without the plug in it?
Has it tried to fire at all since you rebuilt it, or not even a pop?
What's the compression like?
Did you fit the piston with the arrow pointing at the exhaust?
Are you getting fuel?
Is there a spark?

you either have done two things maybe

MAYBE YOU DIDNT adjust your coil pack correctly,too close to flywheel,if so it will rub off fly wheel and be too tight,so you need to use a buisness card to get the right height,rotate the flywheel to the solid magnetic side underyour coilpack,now slip a buisness card under the pack on top the flywheel and puch down on coil and retighten it.

now also you may have over torqued the flywheel bolt when putting back on,did you have to remove fly wheel?

did you torque the engine head enough?
did you install as ducky piston correctly and ring right way on piston?

all gaskets ok on engine and carb,looks like you got some checking out to do man.

pull the starter cover off and see if it'll turn over by hand...I had a pullstart pawl break and thought my motor had shat itself but it was the pawl jammed..if it's not that or the coil then you got to start tearing it down...let us know how you get on

i didnt play with the fly wheel, and yes there is petrol going in as the spark plug is wet.. but now i just cant pull.. just stuck.. and all other thnigs u sed r done correctly.. i will rebuild it 2night... but before i installed the piston.. i noticed that the c clip/ ring on top of the piston was not stright.. the piston going though the cilnder was ok with out any resistance..

mooman just opend the pull starter cover and i still cant make any movment..

Last edited:
If it turns over when the plug is out and not when the plug is in try this.

Take the plug out.
Turn the buggy upside down and pull about 10-15 times with it upside down and spark out.
Dry the plug completely.
Reinstall the plug.
Pull it over without the choke.

Good luck.:)

you better make sure you have them c clips on correct or else they will score your new head and thats for the bin then!!!

you need to have the opening of the c-clips either facing up or down,otherwise they will work them selves out of there and ruin your head,i hope this is not the case already.

i would be checking that out asap.

here is a link for an engine complete rebuild.
its a cy but same applies for all these engines.

most likely you have it just flooded and need to clean it out,if you want you could take off carb and start engine with it off and wait till it stops then you will have all lodged fuel in crankcase burnt.

here is this link anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAzWd_e1Veo&feature=related

Last edited:
After rebuilding nealy all the engine and following all instructions on the planet, it still don't start, so i took it to my local Hobby shop and they have bin working on it for 2 weeks and still no luck :( am thinking of just getting new Bore kit as the 28.5 CY that i bought just don't work.

Am thinking of getting the 27.2 as that is not a CY what do you think?

Many thanks.

After rebuilding nealy all the engine and following all instructions on the planet, it still don't start, so i took it to my local Hobby shop and they have bin working on it for 2 weeks and still no luck :( am thinking of just getting new Bore kit as the 28.5 CY that i bought just don't work.

Am thinking of getting the 27.2 as that is not a CY what do you think?

Many thanks.
Rebuilding or installing big bore kits in these engines is all the same proess regarding the steps to do it. I have had good luck with CY's Zenoah's and a mix match of both. lol

Are you getting spark?? If not follow what DC2 said in post #3... You may need to use a spark tester, or if you are man enough, grab the plug wire with your hand and give the pull rope a good tug... Caution, that is 12,000 volts coming out of the plug wire, it will light you up, but it won't "Hurt" you.. It is fun for the viewing audience though.. Be sure to record a video!!

Make sure the "Engine Kill Switch" isn't depressed or pushed in... (I had that happen to me a few times)

For this application, there is nothing wrong with a CY motor! Get the motor back from the Hobby Shop because they, most likely, have no idea what they are doing!! Get it back and let us help you along the way..

But remember, all an engine needs to run is Air, Fuel, Compression and spark!! I have had a motor run without the spark plugs even in the motor, they were just laying on the heads (it was a snowmobile motor, but they are about all the same) plus it didn't even have the carburetor attached!!

When you get it back, let us know... We'll get it running for you!!

Trip..

Are you getting spark?? If not follow what DC2 said in post #3... You may need to use a spark tester, or if you are man enough, grab the plug wire with your hand and give the pull rope a good tug... Caution, that is 12,000 volts coming out of the plug wire, it will light you up, but it won't "Hurt" you.. It is fun for the viewing audience though.. Be sure to record a video!!

LMAO!!!

Get the motor back from the Hobby Shop because they, most likely, have no idea what they are doing!! Get it back and let us help you along the way..

But remember, all an engine needs to run is Air, Fuel, Compression and spark!! I have had a motor run without the spark plugs even in the motor, they were just laying on the heads (it was a snowmobile motor, but they are about all the same) plus it didn't even have the carburetor attached!!

When you get it back, let us know... We'll get it running for you!!

Trip..

I agree, if they are not a 1/5 scale shop, they have no idea what they are doing. You are better off bringing it to a lawn mower shop that works on weed whip motors.

I bet we could help you find out what is wrong with it with a few photos and a video.:D

LOl thanks guys il try and take some photos NO VIDEO! the thing is that they told me to buy new coil pack as they sed that there isnt good spark, so i bought new 1 and they still cant get it running... when i get it, il tell you what is exactley going on.

Could of been as simple as getting the coil gaped correctly? Or a spark plug replacement? Get it back and we will help get it back going for you!:gunsmilie:

I went through this recently myself with a ported kit. I tried everything and it would not fire. I put the old head back on and it was fine. I bought a new unported (same head just not ported) and was fine. I sent the head in and was sent a replacement.

ok guys just got the car 2day from 1/5 scale shop, it finally work!!!!! The reason why it didnt work at first and going though 2 head kits is because the carburetor was faulty. Simply by replacing the carburetor the engine was running weet. (so if u do have a problem with the engine do check the carburetor!)

But as usal, problems never end... when i decided i wanted to upgrade my buggy, i bought this headkit ofcorse and a 2speed gear box.. i installed both at the same time so i didnt have the chane to test the 2speed box as the engine was not running. When the engine is finally running, i testing the car in the road and i was about to pee my self when i discoverd that the brakes was completley off... so my qustion is what the hell dose the 2speed gear box get to do with the brakes.... all the connections are find just the car not stopping... by the way i have the original brakes which they will be upgraded soo to disk brakes...

Thanks

Last edited:
ok guys just got the car 2day from 1/5 scale shop, it finally work!!!!! The reason why it didnt work at first and going though 2 head kits is because the carburetor was faulty. Simply by replacing the carburetor the engine was running weet. (so if u do have a problem with the engine do check the carburetor!)

But as usal, problems never end... when i decided i wanted to upgrade my buggy, i bought this headkit ofcorse and a 2speed gear box.. i installed both at the same time so i didnt have the chane to test the 2speed box as the engine was not running. When the engine is finally running, i testing the car in the road and i was about to pee my self when i discoverd that the brakes was completley off... so my qustion is what the hell dose the 2speed gear box get to do with the brakes.... all the connections are find just the car not stopping... by the way i have the original brakes which they will be upgraded soo to disk brakes...

Thanks

2 speed and stock brakes are not good. Not much that can be done to give you enough brake power using a 2 speed except what you will be doing - Upgrade.

Make sure the brake disk is between the metal brake "pads" if not, you will have no brakes.. It is easy to get them messed up when putting the truck back together. That dam disk loves to fall out!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks