Black magic spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I got that, couldn't get a hold of the black bone gears I'm sure there much lighter,just wondering if anybody ever tried to mill these out a little
yes you can machine em down mate, but you have to take your time, they are hardened right through,
i managed to almost halve the weight of mine, took the tooth width down to 6mm, bored holes and machined down as much of the excess weight as i dared to,
its held up fine with no issues (y),
heres mine after i finished it and painted it to look pretty again :LOL:,

They are heavy, and you can see a difference when running a lighter geared setup, but they do exactly what they were meant to, work. The black magic transmission gears stay clear of though

Blackbone gears are about as good as they get, light and strong but you pay for them.

yes you can machine em down mate, but you have to take your time, they are hardened right through,
i managed to almost halve the weight of mine, took the tooth width down to 6mm, bored holes and machined down as much of the excess weight as i dared to,

That's exactly what I'm talking about, beautiful work man,thank you for the info,

I have a set I haven’t installed because there heavy af. Did they drill out easy?
in short mick they're hard to drill and machine, very hard steel,
but slow and steady and it works out (y),
i marked out the holes , then drilled pilot hole for each hole, then went up a couple of sizes at a time,
then finally used a teardrop shaped carbide burr in the drill press at slow speed and finished the holes off to about 12mm,
turned the face down at fairly slow speed in the lathe, small bites at a time,
My concern would be getting the holes even. He really did a great job
just needs time and patience monster,
measure and double check etc, then centre punch and go slow as in last post (y)

How much would you charge me to drill mine out 😁
I hate not being able to use them.

@Mick Boomer and @MonsterAir ,its really not cost effective when all said and done :LOL:,
took me way more time to drill and lighten than you would want to spend on it,
got mine cos couldnt get blackbone gears at the time and someone bet me i couldnt halve the weight of it and keep it usable/reliable,
i just fell short of half the weight though,
if i was your side of the pond i'd consider doing a couple, but am in uk so shipping would cost more than the gear itself :LOL:,
so yes it can be done, but not cost effective time wise :D

Got mine done thanks for the advice 👌😜

Attachments

• IMG_20230211_220540753.jpg
    IMG_20230211_220540753.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 12
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks