Blunder ? Or not , 26cc moddified zenoah

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doggydogg

Hi guys
Been looking an engine or two , been watching for a while and nothing really tickling my fancy exept one which sold before I could bid , oddified 4 bolt red top , in true fisherman style going on about the one that got away lol , anyhow last night 2 engines from the same seller comes up after he stripped his 2 mcd race runners , ones still for sale a 29cc cy and the other I bought , a 26cc modified zenoah with only a few tanks through , it was advertised as a 26cc tuned zenoah , moddified by king cobra racing and the work carried out by one of king cobras tuners , the seller told me he spent £200 for the work , the head and conversion carried out by one of Theyr tuners , I broke the golden rule and to do a quick cheap as possible deal I payed him immediately by paypal as a gift , I sat back and wondered "what have I done !" I never take a chance like that !
So I emailed bob at king cobra , told him all the details and he said the shop doesn't offer tuning services or moddified heads ! I nearly died but then I read the rest , he said 2 of the famous engine tuners live nearby and do work for customers on the side just not threw the shop , so they keep what they get , the shop doesn't make a profit from it , both tuners race for the king cobra team but one helps out at the shop regularly , one is Ian oddie from oddified :) and the other is Stevo backland from evolution tuning , and both usually sign Theyr work so try not to worrie and wait until it comes and give them a ring !
The guy I bought from has over 1900 positive feedbacks since 2004 I have no reason to doubt him or think that he's a scammer at all , people have had to trust me a few times on the bay , just worried that he didn't mention it being signed , dated but its covered in chrome so ? Did he just forget ? Did I get a real bargain "really " or a blunder il just have to wait and see , I know I've been stupid but il just have to see , maybe I got a gem , if its a decent 26cc zenoah il not cry at £130 but hoping its the real thing , if I take the head off. Will it be immediately apparent to me what modifications have been done ?
What am I looking for if its unsigned and I'm looking into the barrel and looking at the piston ! It's supposed to be a matched piston ,
Cheers
Rob

have you got a link to the engine you brought mate

also if its been modded it should be engraved on the head which may well be covered up by the plastic head cover but if your going to take it to bits once youve got it becarefull cause if its not modded then you aint getting a refund if its be taken apart sellers get funny about that and fair enough i would,,if its been ported it will show i'll dig up a pic of my 23cc as that things got the most porting ive ever seen in a 23cc engine just to give you a idea

Zenoah 26 cc king cobra tuned

This is one of his messages ,

Dear doggydogg525,

Hi id be looking for around £100. The other engine I wont sell for less as th tuning cost me £200 plus what the engine cost and then there is the chrome parts.
One of the guys in king cobra racers and he did the conversion

- biddsareus
Reply in your email program or through My Messages

Zenoah 26

I may have jumped to quick on this one , but il have to wait and see ! After some emails with the seller I believed him and had a go , so hoping its an ok deal , I don't usually do this , was a very fast impulse buy , but you gotta take a chance sometimes . I hope I didn't just let the chrome and talk of £200 tuning dazzle me , the guys from Doncaster and so post permitting it will arrive in a few days and il be put out of my misery lol , I didn't want to open it but if I have to then I have too but I'm hoping its signed

I asked as you do will I receive my engine and be happy with it !
And this is the reply so I'm hoping I'm good

Dear doggydogg525,

Yes you will, we are not all dodgy dealers ,please check my feedback

- biddsareus
Reply in your email program or through My Messages

I have just ordered a Stevo engine and they are all blueprinted when built and signed & dated on completion on the head like the oddie engines. Stevo works in Rossendale Models which is the retail outlet for King Cobra so the seller is implying the work was done by him but even a basic stage 1 tune from Stevo is quite a bit more than £200.

When you get it take the chrome cover off and you should see the head signed on the clutch side if I remember correctly. If it is signed & dated give Stevo a ring at Rossmods and he will tell you what spec it was built to. He does a rebuild service which includes ultra sonic cleaning and all new bearings & seals for approx £55.

I've never known Ian supply just a barrel and piston as he modifies all of the engine, barrel, piston, crank case and carb. The only Stevo engines I've seen have had the adjustable timing on the fan cover. Another option is that it could be an MG Tuning engine- MG tuning was a guy called Mark Gough and 5 or 6 years ago he did a lot of engines and I know that King Cobra had boxes of them, they're old hat by todays standards but all 3 of those tuners would sign the crank case, cylinder and sometimes the fan cover.

sent as a gift and not through ebay phewwwwww Rob you sure

are a risk taker :p

i doubt if ian oddie has ever stepped into ross mods,but stevo does

work behind the counter;)

i live 20 mins away from king cobra

K....

Zenoah

I know I broke the golden rule . Not going threw eBay ! I'm gonna just have to sweat this one until it comes . Thanks for all the input guys its much appreciated
Il check it out when it comes and let yas know !
Il not do that again that's for sure , hopefully il get away with it !

Keith,
Ian is in Ross mods & King Cobra every other week, He used to drive for FG and got all his parts through King Cobra - Trust me, he has "stepped in there" once or twice.

Yes Stevo works at Ross mods and yes he does do some work to the Alro tuned engines that he sells.

Fact is, buying a second hand engine (tuned or not) is dodgy unless it's from a respectable source.

Keith,
Ian is in Ross mods & King Cobra every other week, He used to drive for FG and got all his parts through King Cobra - Trust me, he has "stepped in there" once or twice.

Yes Stevo works at Ross mods and yes he does do some work to the Alro tuned engines that he sells.

Fact is, buying a second hand engine (tuned or not) is dodgy unless it's from a respectable source.

i did not know ian oddie came up to ross mods........

Mike is Rob still active at Alro as his web page has not been updated

for 2 years

K....

Zenoah 26

Engine arrived . Looks ok , took the covers off and no signature . The exhaust exit looks moddified tho for sure , zenoah head with a copper gasket , ive hesitated on opening it untill one of you tells me to go for it , maybe its the only way to find out what's going on in there but I know Definately the exhaust exit has been worked at , it has a mirror shine & smooth & shaped I took a couple if pics with my iPhone just , with the mirror shine it will look like the grooves are heavy but in truth you can see them & feel them but they aren't deep like it looks in the pics , the two sides are grooved and the top shaped in the inside closest to the piston . I think I'm too nosey not to open the head , what you think guys ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 17
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks