Brake recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixleggedoctopus

I just recently got a sport line 530 4wd, i am looking at my brake options. Currently, I am looking at mecatech 2 piston or the FG hydro brakes, thought, opinions?

Alright guys, front and rear Mecatech ordered, servo order and alloy front uprights ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, started doing the tear down in preparation. Very straight forward except for what FG labels as "brake bar" turns out you have to remove the four the screws that hold down the top plate to get to the two nuts on the underside. Once the nuts and bolts are off, the brake bar and cable guides come off.b1e826a966e631a088d9eec3fd365907.jpg0afdeb6aca642abfcac359a334a9d2f6.jpg035ba7b2024ea6c87fecaf46c94f683b.jpg6b17727084255412acf88d8426c6d6b5.jpg

Change out both servo arms for aluminum ones, and the top plate for a carbon one, very inexpensive for FG parts. Get the front CVD set .

Last edited:
Change out both servo arms for aluminum ones, and the top plate for a carbon one, very inexpensive for FG parts. Get the front CVD set .

Thanks for the recommendation. I will likely pass on any carbon fiber for the near future. The servo horns I will be changing out.

Question for anyone: what about running front and rear brakes off of one master cylinder?

Question for anyone: what about running front and rear brakes off of one master cylinder?

I wouldn't. In theory I guess it could be done, but you couldn't have any brake bias. Your also gonna need a 3 or 4 channel radio. I have the futaba 4px but it's not needed. A good 3 channel 2.4ghz radio should do. As long as it can support dual servo braking. No you can't use a y harness for the 2 braking servos you have to have the ability to throttle with out the second servo moving except while braking. UNLESS that second servo can be allowed to slip and not affect the linkage while thottle is used. If that's the case I guess a y harness could be used and brake bias would be controlled by linkage setup instead of radio. Clear as mud? Lol. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from Sprectrum brand radios and receivers. Any other questions please let me know.

No worries, I actually have a 4pX as well, I messed around with electric truggies for awhile. I'm wondering if brake bias comes into play on the 4wd models since they are connected by a belt, without an open diff, wouldn't bias be almost a non issue?

No guess it doesn't. That's good you have a 4px. Makes life a lot easier. So many features couldn't go back to 3 channel after owning a 4px except for boats. Better to risk $180 near the water than a $500. Lol your set than. I guess you can try 1 master cylinder, but in my opinion I'd stick with 2.

I'm running 1 master cylinder on the beetle,, front hydro's and hydro layshaft brake all plumbed into 1 cylinder just make sure servo's upto the job 16,5kg works mine,, is it as good as 2 cylinders yes on the beetle space can be an issue but my bug stops very well its got the huge 80mm oddified disc's and pads up front and 69mm layshaft 100% better than stock fg marder setup

so that uses 3 hydro calipers 1 cylinder no real reason it wont work 4 calipers

Just got my goodies, I'm running into a fitment issue, using the FG alloy uprights, calipers are not fitting onto the uprights. I've emailed DDM to see what they say but right now the brake line connection collar is running into the upright.
d864adb2e28bcdba12cf6f39be109f3a.jpg0f3e0328611da4c0057dbb083a5d54e3.jpg7db8daad2dd2e1ed5ca34c8564d53fcd.jpg

I've been told alloy uprights can't fit the 530 wheelbase FG 4wd. That being said if you get it to fit on the car please let us know. What's the part # for the uprights? There's supposed to be spacers for the brakes

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks