Build/wrenching flops?‍♂️?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one of these 20 years back?Screenshot_20200717-083756_Samsung Internet.jpg
Bought for bout $100 USD ? anyway I had plans to take a trip up country to a festival ?? but it needed a little work first.
One of the side shafts was wanked?? put the rear on blocks took off the rear wheel? the shaft fixed to the gear box with 8mm hex bolts ? bolts had probably never been undone in 30 years? between all this and where I had to my hands and the wrench was the exhaust ????Screenshot_20200717-083623_Samsung Internet.jpg
My one the covers where gone so no heating just a bunch of fins? got my long allen wrench and.........nothing..... would not crack? got a pipe and slid the wrench into get more leverage ?? I put all the welly I had into it ? next thing it cracked ? my hand flew into the fins and I hit my middle finger just a few mm above the nail???????‍♂️ never cussed out so lound and for so long in my life???? within 30 seconds whole nail was black? I had to heat a needle and burn through the nail to release the pressure ??‍♂️?‍♂️ two days later at the festival my entire nail just fell off???

At least you made it to the festival haha
This I true? although it was in the mountains and It was chilly ? finger ached like crazy ? look feking awful ? getting nooky from my girlfriend it got bumped ? a lot? + plus meeting new folk was hit and miss with a big manky ???????

So not rc, and I'll admit it's the only tool I've ever lost. Was working on a 12L volvo diesel. Ate the lobes off the cam shaft. Its overhead cam engine, and has a full length rocker shaft that spans the cam. Cam drives the valves and Injectors. Big heavy shite here. Rocker shafts is about 2.5 inches of steel, gun drilled for an oil passage. The rockers weigh about 5 lbs each. Any who. I swapped the cams out, switched out all the breakers with new. Went through the torque procedure on the cam. Then put the rocker shaft back on. Every bolt save one takes a 17mm the last is an 18mm. Theres a procedure of tourqueing everything down so far, then loosening everything back up to pre stress the bolts. So the easy way to do it is leave the 18mm sit on its bolt, do every thing else pop off the 17mm, torque the 18mm. And back them all off. The to bring up to final torque you start with the 18mm and then do all the 17mm. So I finished this up. Adjusted the valve lash and the injector preload. Flopped the valve cover back on. Bleed the fuel system, and cranked her up. Did a hot flush, drained oil, filled with new sent her on her way. Now due to how the rockers are spaced you had to use 3/8" drive deep impact sockets as a 1/2" drive were too thick (impact) and the std sockets would crack when you did the final torque. So I moved on to the next unit, that needed the same thing. (Customer dropped one off and picked one up) i poped the valve cover off, went to take the rocker shaft off, realized I didnt have that dam 18mm socket. Figured one of the guys had needed it and ran off with it. (Happened a lot at that shop) so I went around to hunt it down. Coulnt find it. Then it hit me. I never took the female dog off the fricken bolt. It was sitting in the top of that engine. I called the customer, who sent his mechanic out to check. He called me back and said yep it was sitting on the last bolt on the rocker shaft. His mechanic said he doubted it would have done any thing as the valve cover was sitting right on top of it. I said do me a favor and ship it back I'm real sorry for that. He said nope, it's a real nice socket I think I'll keep it. ?‍♂️. Only tool I've lost in my life. And I was very embarrass to boot, and the customer thought it was grand he got to keep my socket. Its funny now, but about made me poop at the time.

The year I graduated high school I bought a 90 LX 5.0 mustang hatchback roller and built my own 302 for it..

Nothing fancy.. freshened up a stock 302 bottom end.. got a set of ported GT40 heads.. an F-303 cam and a ported vortec aluminum intake

I built it myself... my first engine build... it actually ran.. to my surprise.. lol and ran well.. Got a best ET of 8.38 in an 1/8th mile

after building the engine I couldn’t for the life of me find my pocket knife..

I searched for months!

almost a year later... I decided to upgrade heads and intakes...

Pulled the intake off... low and behold there was my pocket knife opened up laying in the lifter valley... in mint condition... well lubricated... as you could imagine lol?‍♂️???‍♂️

Speaking of sockets ,I had never left one in an engine ,but I use to work at a ag spray company ,I didnt do mechanic work
there ,I was just the grounds keeper an the mechanics gopher.
One day the mechanic needed help pulling a part off under a rig ,I think it was a metal shield plate ,he was to hold the bolt
an he handed the impact gun to break the nut loose ,so we were laying under the rig an I put the impact on an pulled the trigger ,
this was my very first time that I used one!....LOL.... well ,I think that I still had the trigger pushed when I took it off the nut ,at that
point when I did ,the mechanic yelled an was holding the top of his forehead ,the nut came out of the socket an peeled out
on his head ,it was funny as hell!....:ROFLMAO:

? cant wait. This is the coolest homebrew ever? we teased Harold about PPE, but this bad boy requires it.?
Yes we did but found someone that surely needs PPE as pjs?‍♂️?? @cbaker65
Speaking of sockets ,I had never left one in an engine ,but I use to work at a ag spray company ,I didnt do mechanic work
there ,I was just the grounds keeper an the mechanics gopher.
One day the mechanic needed help pulling a part off under a rig ,I think it was a metal shield plate ,he was to hold the bolt
an he handed the impact gun to break the nut loose ,so we were laying under the rig an I put the impact on an pulled the trigger ,
this was my very first time that I used one!....LOL.... well ,I think that I still had the trigger pushed when I took it off the nut ,at that
point when I did ,the mechanic yelled an was holding the top of his forehead ,the nut came out of the socket an peeled out
on his head ,it was funny as hell!....:ROFLMAO:
Coz oh boy they just keep coming ???

Last edited:
The cruse of the stripped fastener head.
After many years working on 1/5 scales my main tool is a Black&Decker adjustable ratching screwdriver or any other quality brand.
I learned thread locker is some cases is your friend.
I use CA in metal to plastic fasteners only.
Bolting the Motor to the bottom plate requires no thread locker.
I avoid a lot of problems by using small lock washers instead of thread locker when possible.
If you must use thread locker use it sparingly and use your ratching screwdriver to loosen it up and if necessary use a little heat.
P.S. Use high quality MIP hex drivers
William E. Burrows Jr.

Sicario.jpg

Not rc related but a guy I work with was working on an old military c20 with a 6.2 Detroit v8. He had to replace the injection pump so one of the things that had to be removed was the intake. Well he thought it would be a grand idea to stuff paper towel in all of the intake ports on the heads which id do as well. BUT he forgot to pull all the paper towel out of all 8 runners and well you can guess the rest. It was pretty feking funny it looked like the engine swallowed a bird when the paper towels came shooting out the exhaust like feathers :ROFLMAO:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks