Buyer remorse and how to recover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabidfox50

I am starting to rethink my purchase of the DBXL. After reading all the issues with the rig and then discovering the KM T1000, I'm torn between selling my XL and getting the T1000. The KM is more in line with what I was wanting and the huge parts support for the truck (HPI parts that is).

Since I have not run the XL and have only gotten a few upgrades for it, I may just sell it, take a bit of a loss and get the KM. I don't know. Very torn right now. The wheels and tires I ordered will work on both also the kill switch. I'm very disappointed in the XL not having a huge following given its hype from Losi and something told me not to purchase as I am a die hard Associated guy for the last 25 years (Losi being our nemesis in my time racing back in the day).

I'm glad in didn't go nuts with upgrades specific to the XL yet. I'm still deciding what to do but need some pros and cons from folks well established in the 1/5 scale world. I come from mostly the 1/10 and 1/8 scale racing side. Thanks in advance.

I am starting to rethink my purchase of the DBXL. After reading all the issues with the rig and then discovering the KM T1000, I'm torn between selling my XL and getting the T1000. The KM is more in line with what I was wanting and the huge parts support for the truck (HPI parts that is).

Since I have not run the XL and have only gotten a few upgrades for it, I may just sell it, take a bit of a loss and get the KM. I don't know. Very torn right now. The wheels and tires I ordered will work on both also the kill switch. I'm very disappointed in the XL not having a huge following given its hype from Losi and something told me not to purchase as I am a die hard Associated guy for the last 25 years (Losi being our nemesis in my time racing back in the day).

I'm glad in didn't go nuts with upgrades specific to the XL yet. I'm still deciding what to do but need some pros and cons from folks well established in the 1/5 scale world. I come from mostly the 1/10 and 1/8 scale racing side. Thanks in advance.

Have you experienced these issues or just read about them? Well, seeing you haven't run it, answered my own question.
Why haven't you run it? Man, I couldn't imagine taking delivery of a new gasser and just look at it.
Just curious but, why did you get the DBXL?

I bought it upon reccomendation of of RC Sparks. DJ Medic did a few videos on it and it seemed like a nice rig. With work taking 95% of my time, I have not had the pleasure of running it but I am hoping to have the time this week.

In the Losi5ive forums, there is a guy named Nitrocat, he is kind of crazy, but the guy knows his stuff.

He took the plunge into a DBXL, fought hard to make things happen, after a long battle with troubleshooting and many disappointments he threw the towel and sold it.

From what I have read there issues with the shocks leaking, the pins breaking (about .5mm less than the 5ive, enough to snap), its terrible at jumping (in case if you are a hardcore basher who likes to see their RC catch some air). In the 5ive forums, I think there is a DBXL section, im Mr. Nitrocat, see what he says.

From what I picked up on your posting, after all you are leaning toward the Baja truck, and have not experienced the issues of the DBXL yourself firsthand. IMO you are going to get better cash returns on a mint condition DBXL, than been bashed, scratched etc.

I like very much the looks, stance of the DBXL, but those items mentioned above, and watching some videos on youtube, the handling did not convince me at all, so I passed on the purchase. Now, the Losi 5ive buggy, thats another story, which maybe someday I may, may not.

I highly recommend reach out to the user mentioned above, he is a honest guy with many years of experience on large scale RC.

good luck

Well, I decided to put the DBXL up for sale. I may take a loss but I think it would be best to sell it still new with the few extras I got for it. Shockwears, Outerwears pre filter, Dynamite kill switch and an extra body cage. Heck, I still have the box and the stuff it came with. Only thing is the shipping is gonna be hefty if I have to send it.

Good luck with the sale, hopefully you wont lose too much especially if you have extras that will be included.
You may also want to throw an ad on RCU, its a pretty active forum.

I would drop it like a hot potato and get the RCMK XCR1000 that DDM has a sale on. And I would never look back. The Xcr1000 and its 1200 big bro are RC's to be reckoned with. Incredible build quality and brutal engine. Downside is that parts can be hard to come by, but DDM has promised to sort that out.

Clones will never make you as happy as the real thing unless you are willing to spend considerable amounts of time and money to get them up to par IMO. XCR is not a clone but the buggy DBXL should have been. Same designer but not same company or production facility. The Xcr is bigger, meaner and will tolerate abuse.

I own a dbxl, I have upgraded all most everything lol, hoonage driveshafts front and rear, moved the Ackermann to the top and so many upgrades however it is my best buggy now runs great I love the buggy. I actually posted it for sale because I got a 5b but I like my dbxl and deceided to keep it.

I had a very tricked up dbxl...heres what I put on it...
35642008896_d1feff22e0_c.jpg20170520_222517 by evssv, on Flickr
heres how I sold it for £600...29cc engine...lipo rx..killer lids...samba pipe....2x savoxs.....few ally bitas on it...uber vipers....
35294336850_b4834e5d1f_c.jpg20170521_000715 by evssv, on Flickr
still sum nice upgrades on it.....34840477834_318a20e385_c.jpg20170520_232230 by evssv, on Flickr
..but I it wasent all that imo....even in stok`ish trim.....so after it got area-rc...fid`d up.....I decied to strip it back to bare miniumal upgrades.....then sale it.....and buy a 5ive...which I`m glad I did tbh.......seems such a better built platform.....oh...and the db flys like a brick..:(...a wonkey brick....:eek:.....and if I`m honest...I prefer to run my Baja 5bss.....even over the 5ive.....the Baja is a right handful to control being 2wd and 7.5bhp.....:D.,..but that's what makes it so much fun imo....

Why play around , sell , save , send , get a VEKTA , Sure they got issues too but so simple to fix and theses issues are very minimal , been doing this stuff for 25 years , and I finally got funds together to get one , it will be my final purchase of a r.c. !!! Ya right !!! My wife has already got me 86'd from hobby town so I'm gotta hide this darn receipt ! KEEP BASH'N OUT THERE !

Lol.. every one of these 1/5th scales are different animals. To each there own. Dbxl is a badass platform and so is the mtxl which is what I have. It helps that I am a mechanic and can work on anything, just be patient. It's part of the hobby.

Should have done your homework, the DBXL has been highly criticized as not to rc 1/5th scale expectations.

It took me a few YT videos on how it jumped and handled bumps to stir away from the Check out last click.

**this specific video made me not buy it, and stepped it up to the 5ive (clone X2 KM)

Some platforms need more work than others. Many have managed to make it run right and at times just recognize its limits. The 5ive is a complete different class, its heavier, but with the proper engine and pipe, must have DDM mod$$, it sure is a beast of a SCT. The 5B is a fun trigger happy baja, all out in the dirt while the 5ive is run over anything and keeps going through all rough terrain.

Upgrades is money rarely gives any returns at time of sale unless is a rare platform, unique build etc.

Good luck

Last edited:
Not starting an argument, please don't take it the wrong way, you said the DBXL is a bad_**s platform, and it is not. That most of the bugs got corrected on the MTXL, well, thats different deal.

Have heard good things about the MTXL.

Not that it helps on anything, I don't dig that type of monster truck platform, if anything the Losi 5ive buggy, that is so tempting.

The Vekta is a pig of a buggy/dune buggy, and its fixed rear suspension is horrible. Its more to scale, but not good for handling. You need a lot of engine to keep them moving.

Am thinking of selling my X2 locally, and take the leap to the B lineup. Those things do rip in the dirt...

TLR-Losi-5IVE-B-gas-buggy-w1.jpg

*Buyer's remorse happens to all of us. At least its not that one bought a sports car and has to make payments, or mortgage on a house that maybe paid too much or was not what expected. In this hobby, it will happen every now and then, and at least for me it took some time to be watchful of those happy Buy It Now days.

Last edited:
It seems from what I have read that everyone that purchased a DBXL(e) has had either bad luck with it breaking after a first run, or has had to put a lot of money and time into getting it up to "great running" status.

I have been looking at getting another car and am tempted with the ease of the DBXL, but have decided to go the 5ive B route.

Dbxl is a badass platform and so is the mtxl which is what I have.

I said platform not entire kit. Replace the bad parts on the dbxl with the mtxl parts problem solved. It's not rocket science

*I don't see NOT ENTIRE KIT on the first posted sentence.You did not said, you MEANT...

http://www.redcatracing.com/rampage-e2.jpg

The word platform is too broad, which is all of it. Platform is not within a kit, its overall design of the vehicle.
You see it differently, but what comes across is that its good overall, which is not. The buggy no matter what upgrades are done to it is terrible.

The buggy can be bullet proof, it does not jump, has the worst center of gravity, handles like crap. Its a no brainer to buy a 5ive B over the Losi DBXL. There is no MTXL part that will fix that. The reason I posted the video is not about if it breaks or not, but how it drives, and I can go tired posted many more, its as bad as the Chimera.

rampage-e2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks