BZM anyone got the straight dope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrasher

What the title said. I have started to notice these engines pop up in races all over the place. They even have a 'basher' version. They brag about completely new technology, so why are bashers giving them a pass? Is it beacuse the 28,5 seems small compared to the big bores? Does anyone here have one or know someone that does and can chime in?

What the title said. I have started to notice these engines pop up in races all over the place. They even have a 'basher' version. They brag about completely new technology, so why are bashers giving them a pass? Is it beacuse the 28,5 seems small compared to the big bores? Does anyone here have one or know someone that does and can chime in?
I've just heard they are super unreliable and are basically a paper wieght (don't even start bullshitting guys alright ?)

I know one person who has one and it's a great little engine. Of all the different engines we have between us, it's certainly the most impressive for it's size and delivers power very quickly. When put next to a race ported EPS 30.5, that 28.5 is in a different league, but then it's twice the price. There's a chinese clone of these called SCZ which is maybe where reliability problems have been found. They are a popular race engine though.

I have my eye set on that 28,5 for a project in the drawing phace. But its a lot of money to throw down on something unknown. At least it is for me.

I know one person who has one and it's a great little engine. Of all the different engines we have between us, it's certainly the most impressive for it's size and delivers power very quickly. When put next to a race ported EPS 30.5, that 28.5 is in a different league, but then it's twice the price. There's a chinese clone of these called SCZ which is maybe where reliability problems have been found. They are a popular race engine though.
Maybe it was scz that I heard problems with

Definitely scz.
BZM engines have great reputation,at least the genuine engines do. I would love to own one, one day possibly. I was going to link a eBay seller that was selling the scz version from China,but I went and looked just now and there's new links for them from GB!.
These seem like legit bzm.
Anyone know how to spot the Chinese version besides name scz.
That's a great price if real. I was looking a few months ago and I think it was $650-800+ (REAL one) plus shipping or something like that.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/174029391587

Definitely scz.
BZM engines have great reputation,at least the genuine engines do. I would love to own one, one day possibly. I was going to link a eBay seller that was selling the scz version from China,but I went and looked just now and there's new links for them from GB!.
These seem like legit bzm.
Anyone know how to spot the Chinese version besides name scz.
That's a great price if real. I was looking a few months ago and I think it was $650-800+ (REAL one) plus shipping or something like that.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/174029391587
Right I looked into it and yeah it was scz. China POS rip off ? you can check the front of the cyl. The SCZ doesn't have a logo on it, vs bzm it says bzm on it
Bzm
500130_m-500x500.jpg

Scz
1-5-rc-car-gas-SCZ-Raing-SCZ-E290-29CC-9HP-Reed-Engine-for-1-5.jpg

Also scz has a aluminum fan cover shroud thingy vs bzm has carbon fiber
Scz
maxresdefault-4.jpg

Bzm
s-l300.jpg
Also on scz it literally says scz on the fan shroud lol

Yep, so now anyone looking to buy, knows what to look for.
That's a great price,dang now I'll have to consider that engine.
So many good engines..
Also scz, the engine cooling fins on the head are horizontal vs bzm are vertical. And scz is a 29cc, bzm doesn't make a 29cc as far as I know, only a 28.5 (they don't round up)

There's where the power comes from. It's much, much easier to design/moddify a 2 stroke when you don't have the head in the way. You don't have to worry about messing your squish up or compression, or port timing. You can have whatever cc dome you like. It's like an old dirt bike jug. You can get in there and mod the snot out of it. Some of the guys that race saws do something similar they can get almost 3 times the power out of the same displacement, reliability is cut short on that kind of stuff(somewhat), but that's the price to pay for a killer engine in a small package. A candle that burns twice as bright, lasts half as long. Very cool there's a manufacturer that makes an engine like that for rc.

There's where the power comes from. It's much, much easier to design/moddify a 2 stroke when you don't have the head in the way. You don't have to worry about messing your squish up or compression, or port timing. You can have whatever cc dome you like. It's like an old dirt bike jug. You can get in there and mod the snot out of it. Some of the guys that race saws do something similar they can get almost 3 times the power out of the same displacement, reliability is cut short on that kind of stuff(somewhat), but that's the price to pay for a killer engine in a small package. A candle that burns twice as bright, lasts half as long. Very cool there's a manufacturer that makes an engine like that for rc.
Are you talking about the 2 part jug? 1st part head, 2nd part cyl?

All of which are not in stock. I'd rather get me a obr longblock for cheaper, as cool as they (bzm) are, i don't see why I'd want to get one when I can get an obr for cheaper and they have better customer service ?
If you're racing then there's your reason. If you're not then get the obr.

It comes down to many factors. e.g how light the components are. The lighter the better, without sacrifising too much strength. This means its revs up faster and thus you get off the line faster. I think its impressive that they are getting 6.5hp out of a 26cc engine. For comparison I think Zenoahs g270 makes 3hp out of the box.

?The revving up faster would be the ticket. Torque specs would need to be good also because even though it may rev fast, if it doesn't have the grunt to move an offroad L5B/T it would be pointless. Similar to why people don't run .32 nitro motors on a track and prefer smaller .21/.25 8th scale high revving nitros. If you use a .21 to bash you would be bored with the lack of power, but if you use a .32 to race you would have a harder time staying on the track due to the enormous amounts of available power. But it all comes to size of vehicle running, track type, and driving skills.??

Also if you study the loop scavenging principals, youll better understand why the bzm design is so much better then the zen.
And honesty is it really hard to believe it makes 6hp? I have a 6cc nitro that makes 4.73 hp. Now that's impressive. What isnt is the torque. All things in perspective

Well I'm not but how would the bzm perform better for racing? Curious. And how do you think it would stack up again for say a sig. series obr for racing?
As far as I'm aware the BZM is just more efficient and puts out more power for a sub 30cc engine. Not sure why by in Europe obr doesn't have the same reputation as it does in the states.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks