Can a FG Sportsline be competitive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qckslvr

Fiercely mediocre
For some odd reason I have been itching to get into on road racing again, but this time in 5th scale. In 1/10 all wheel drive is really the only way to go, but I learned in 1/5, RWD seams to be the most popular. I was originally thinking 4wd because that is what DDM has in stock. But now I guess I will have to wait for a RWD car to be available.

My question though, is can a 530 2wd FG Sportsline be made to be competitive in the higher classes. I know that I am starting in the beginner’s groups, but at some point I will advance. I don’t have a ton of cash to drop into the higher end cars right now, new or used. I can swing upgrades throughout my time racing. But if the car has no chance of ever being competitive in advanced classes, then this concerns me.

They have sportline class racing so you can race/learn without selling a kidney.
Places that run races usually have multiple classes toucan run. As far as competitiveness, not normally but like everything else- some have moremoney then talent driving?.
They cash outlay/ maintenance/parts replacement can add up quick at the higher levels. Get that sportline to race and learn without spending a ton of money to start. If you find you like racing,you can always upgrade to a better car or you may decide racing isn't for you.
At least you'll get to race.
The learning curve between the sportline and evos are huge with all the adjustability of the high end evos. You definitely have know what your doing,so run the sportline to learn.?

They have sportline class racing so you can race/learn without selling a kidney.
Places that run races usually have multiple classes toucan run. As far as competitiveness, not normally but like everything else- some have moremoney then talent driving?.
They cash outlay/ maintenance/parts replacement can add up quick at the higher levels. Get that sportline to race and learn without spending a ton of money to start. If you find you like racing,you can always upgrade to a better car or you may decide racing isn't for you.
At least you'll get to race.
The learning curve between the sportline and evos are huge with all the adjustability of the high end evos. You definitely have know what your doing,so run the sportline to learn.?
See mate, you get me on a few posts ?

I think I will be ordering my sportsline soon. I have a couple emails out to different vendors. Sadly DDM will not be stocking or ordering any 2wd chassis any time soon. And my local club only has one class for the 4wd chassis. So I am thinking 2wd is going to the best way, at least I can run it in all three of their classes.

I have found several places on line that sell the cars, but it seems that no two stores sell the same car. Sure they are all 2wd 530 sportslines, but different engine options, rtr, non-rtr, FF Cup, vs regular sportsline. It is all rather confusing. Personally I prefer a kit, RTR just means I have to tear it apart and rebuild it.

@Qckslvr ,

Find out what spec cars the clubs you want to run at use. That will insure your race legal.
They should have guidelines to the vehicle classes,so you'll know what to buy spec wise.
DS⭐ - In stock classes you can't modify engines or much else,once again follow your spec guidelines. Its to keep costs down and concentrate on racing and fun.

@Qckslvr ,

Find out what spec cars the clubs you want to run at use. That will insure your race legal.
They should have guidelines to the vehicle classes,so you'll know what to buy spec wise.
DS⭐ - In stock classes you can't modify engines or much else,once again follow your spec guidelines. Its to keep costs down and concentrate on racing and fun.

You are correct. My local club states nothing over 535 mm WB, 23cc motor, must have foam bumper, stock 13mm carb, I think it was 700cc fuel tank for 2wd, and 2wd in the beginner class. And removing the front axles and putting a 23cc motor in a 4wd was not legal.

Nothing worse than showing up on race day, and you can't run due to a rule you didn't pay attention to. Been there done that LOL. Luckily that day I was able to get some quick help from other racers.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks