Carb of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbyrd47119

Hello all,

Im going to be bumping up to 26cc on the CY and figured it would be as good a time as any to look into a new and improved carb. The baja sees a fairly equal split between on/off road.

What are YOU using and why did you chose it? What is the setup your using with it?

Thanks,
Justin T.

813 on my TS 2-bolt 28.5cc on my FG MT - seems alright but not that experienced that I can tell how it compares.
813 I THINK on my G240RC - I believe it's standard on these engines. Never bothered checking, but fires up fine.
The basic 603 that was on my G260RC that came with the MT was always fine to be perfectly honest.
Al.

990 walbro carb on my obr 7hp long rod its a chokeless carbie but fires right up if tuned correctly also has a built in fuel pump, very responsive carb

my personal preference is the 257. comes with the popoof pressure set correctly for our application and it tunes rock solid. swear i feel defo difference over other carbs.

with that said though, they are all good carbs. if i had to tell you one to stay away from i would have to say the 813. this carb is good when it is in reletively new condition, but once it gets a little use on it and the dirt gets to work on the plunger/pump, IT WILL start acting up on you, so i recommend you to go with any other carb besides the 813. the 257 has np primer, so that may not be for you either, but it is a super good carb.

im fixin to try out the 771, which it has a primer, so im hoping it is same performance as the 257, but with the convenience of the primer.

my personal preference is the 257. comes with the popoof pressure set correctly for our application and it tunes rock solid. swear i feel defo difference over other carbs.

with that said though, they are all good carbs. if i had to tell you one to stay away from i would have to say the 813. this carb is good when it is in reletively new condition, but once it gets a little use on it and the dirt gets to work on the plunger/pump, IT WILL start acting up on you, so i recommend you to go with any other carb besides the 813. the 257 has np primer, so that may not be for you either, but it is a super good carb.

im fixin to try out the 771, which it has a primer, so im hoping it is same performance as the 257, but with the convenience of the primer.

ive got a 771 and had over 2-3 years out of it and that worked very well on the 23cc oddie with no trouble

The 813 has a accelerater pump, which has to be rolled into for the best performance. The 990 does not have the pump and is a punch the throttle off the line. Which is my carb of choice. I like running the 668 and 990 carbs. Goodluck

wt 990 with 15psi pop off spring for more fuel, modded by ONEILL Brothers racing . obr fullmod longrod and jetpro pipe , can leave it for a month,come back and start it usually on first pull,sometimes 2nd pull.
supposidly better low down then the 603 i had. together with engine and pipe is a power house

Last edited:
wt 990 with 15psi pop off spring for more fuel, can leave it for a month,come back and start it usually on first pull,sometimes 2nd pull.

I'm pretty much the same as you, 990 with 15psi pop off on my BZM TT but modded by Scotty at MMR...mine also starts of first pull after a while not running..

As stated the 813 has the pump and the 990 does not..

The 668 would have been my other choice as sometimes the choke comes in handy...

Wow, great conversation everyone! By all means continue it but I must say I am heavily favoring the 990!

Has the lack of a choke created any problems for anyone?

Thanks again,
Justin T.

The 813 has a accelerater pump, which has to be rolled into for the best performance. The 990 does not have the pump and is a punch the throttle off the line. Which is my carb of choice. I like running the 668 and 990 carbs. Goodluck

Sorry i stand corrected the 813 has the accelerator pump not the 990 but still a great carbie

Back