Cen Matrix 5 SC, 1st Day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

Got my Matrix 5 SC yesterday and spent some time going over it. Overall the build quality was good. I found 1 screw that wasn't set down all the way on the radio tray, everything else was tight. Four screws on the motor mount didn't have any Loctite on them so I fixed that up. (the ones coming in from the bottom.)

Next was the exhaust, it comes out of the can underneath the body which I didn't care for. I made an exhaust pipe out of an old aluminum header for a boat and vented it outside the body, pics below.

Next I replaced the RX switch with a heavy duty version that has a charge jack, some of the screws on the radio box are a PITA to get to so the less I have to open it the better. (pic below)

The throttle and steering adjustments were out in left field. I started to change the throttle first by changing the arm angle and noticed the servo was bad, sometimes it would work, then it wouldn't. I replaced it, made the linkage adjustments and all was fine. All I had to do for the steering was adjust the turnbuckle to center the wheels. I plan on replacing the steering servo with two 1/4 scales once the linkage gets here.

Starting it up was a breeze, fires very easy. My CY 26's are a bit more finicky to start. The carb low needle was about a 1/4 turn lean which I found odd, you would think they would fatten the needles rather than lean them. There was a big flat spot on the transition which was cured by the adjustment. I also fattened up the high speed needle a 1/8th turn.

I ran it around and would estimate it runs around the high 30 MPH range. The engine could definitely use more zing. It runs good but nothing like a Zen or CY 26cc, for a 30cc engine it's a bit weak. The suspension is definitely a bit too soft, I'll be putting a little heavier oil in the shocks. The tires work quite well in the loose dirt and pavement, I was pleased with that. Steering was really good as well with the stock servo, surprising actually.

I ran about a tank threw it and pulled it in. Everything seemed to hold up well and nothing got loose. I now know why people run the filters on the pull starts. My road cars don't do the suck everything in and pack the cooling fins gig. I'm definitely happy with the truck and once I get to do some tuning I'm sure it will work out better than expected.

Paul.

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 59
  • pipe4.jpg
    pipe4.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 69
  • switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 66
a new motor will take around 5 to 6 tanks to loosen up and start to come into it.

once run in (not to be confused with seating the ring which typically happens in the first 1/4 tank if you do the proper procedure), you ll find more snap off the line, and more top rpms.

can you take a really good look around the motor and not any stamp, molded in marking on the cylinders? im interested in the brand of motor and the model number it is.

nice lil write up, interested in seeing more of it.

5Tkid, give me some info on the Hitec model and its issue. they offer a few options and i can point you in the correct direction for a proper fitting servo.

Hi Guys,

can you take a really good look around the motor and not any stamp, molded in marking on the cylinders?

I'll see what I can find. I did notice a tiny embossing on it when checking over the engine but that was about it.

please post up as you change the set ups and let us know how it is

Will do, I'll post up what I go with servo wise too.

Paul.

I just bought one. it's coming from LSA in New York so be a couple weeks before I have it in my hands...

mine has no servos and I have a 5745 and 5625 to dump in. which hitec didn't fit?

I was wondering if hpi baja 5 t tires would work on this and the body and front bumper cause im thing about buying this and was wondering all of the upgrades you can do for this

Hi Guys,

Wow, it's been over a year since I made this post and bought the truck. I'm happy to say I'm still enjoying this truck and had it out yesterday. The only thing I've changed other than my original changes is add a tuned pipe. That really woke it up, best 55 bucks I could have spent.

Oddly enough the only thing to date that I've broke has been the body from some hard jump crashes.

Bottom line, a good fun truck that's pretty durable.

Paul.

Crikey! Just found this so I'd like to resurrect an old thread and wonder if your CEN's are still running? I bought one many moons ago too - and hardly used it... perhaps 6 tanks in total through it?! I just became too busy (making a family lol) Quite impressed with it, as you say the engine always fired up so easily. I changed the exhaust to the tuned pipe and tweeked the carb a little - the difference was staggering to say the least. Put in 40w shock oil all around which made a nice difference over stock, perhaps still a little bouncy, but a major improvement to say the least. From tuning things it became really eager, somehow I think I must've hit the sweet spot on the carb (FLUKE!). But I haven't ran this RC in many years either, it's been hanging on the wall along with the other 2 FG's, I've ran the Baja 5b from time to time, but not as much as I'd like to. Anyway, I plan on breathing some life into the 5sc when I get home in a few weeks from work. Looking to change the wheels on it, perhaps run a set of fronts from a HPI 5T, but I'd need to change the square drives to hex's, or get an adapter kit from somewhere, anyone know where?
Thanks in advance!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks