Center diff DBXL….

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Respiro

5A99B4C7-6C78-4E4F-B08B-C9B3C29E2004.jpeg
While racing this past weekend; i blew my center diff. What alum diff cup and gears can someone recommend?

thank you

While on the subject of differentials the rear one on my DBXL has stripped out holes in the plastic housing where the retainer for the pins that hold the a-arms in bolts up. I have put in thread inserts and it is holding. If i need to replace it is it better to go aluminum or stay with the plastic? Thanks

In looking I see that part that I need are the supports that hold the differential. Is it better to replace with aluminum, or is it better to have some give with the plastic?

Last edited:
So which brand aluminum diff are you guys using? I am struggling to find them. Or can i use 5t diff cups

I’ve always liked the look of them, just wished they were as strong as they looked.
Sadly even heavily upgraded, it fails in comparison to a 5ive platform.
Thank y

what type of stuff. I race mine and interested in what you may have.
Nothing overly exciting, think there are some pins and maybe a set of brakes and a disk. I keep finding dumb little stuff when I'm digging for parts. Of you decide to buy those shocks I'll toss in whatever I find in the package.

Actually kinda miss it, was my first 1/5 scale.
Maaaaan!!! you and i both. Mine absolutely held together like for ever. I could run for 4+ hours on a single gallon of fuel and it ripped and didn't break, Took a lot to get there but you are very right. I agree and will say i miss mine as well. Spend more time these days waiting on parts

Sadly even heavily upgraded, it fails in comparison to a 5ive platform.

Nothing overly exciting, think there are some pins and maybe a set of brakes and a disk. I keep finding dumb little stuff when I'm digging for parts. Of you decide to buy those shocks I'll toss in whatever I find in the package.
Before i go to crazy… what are some of the areas where it fails after being upgraded.

i do not bash. I strictly race. No race ported engine.

i have noticed the chassis flex. Ordering a new better chassis, and alum bracing.

already ordered 3 new alum diff cups.

any other areas?

Drive shafts are number one. Followed by diffs. Then diff housings. The center duff mount will eventually break, which caused me a lot of grief. Factory shocks suck. (Which you already know) chassis braces are a must. Other then then that, so long as you don't crash the stock plastic towers work fine. You do get a bit more ridgedity with alloy towers, but not nessisary. I never had chassis flex or bend. I bashed my dbxl pretty hard when I got it. It did end up being pretty reliable. I ran a zen g320 in it, then ported the engine. Ended up being able to run a 20 tooth pinion gear, possibly could have ran a 21 but was pretty happy where I was at. I kept the arms and spindles plastic, as they were cheap and easy to replace. Almost forgot I had loads of issues with the front sway bar links breaking. Was an every other outing issue. I'm certain it was because the links were too short, but sold it off before I got around to making a fix for it. Next biggest issue I ha was air filter placement, ended up modding my cage so a turtle racing air box fit behind the cage and got the filter up and out front. Worlds better.

Drive shafts are number one. Followed by diffs. Then diff housings. The center duff mount will eventually break, which caused me a lot of grief. Factory shocks suck. (Which you already know) chassis braces are a must. Other then then that, so long as you don't crash the stock plastic towers work fine. You do get a bit more ridgedity with alloy towers, but not nessisary. I never had chassis flex or bend. I bashed my dbxl pretty hard when I got it. It did end up being pretty reliable. I ran a zen g320 in it, then ported the engine. Ended up being able to run a 20 tooth pinion gear, possibly could have ran a 21 but was pretty happy where I was at. I kept the arms and spindles plastic, as they were cheap and easy to replace. Almost forgot I had loads of issues with the front sway bar links breaking. Was an every other outing issue. I'm certain it was because the links were too short, but sold it off before I got around to making a fix for it. Next biggest issue I ha was air filter placement, ended up modding my cage so a turtle racing air box fit behind the cage and got the filter up and out front. Worlds better.
What was it about the drive shafts that make you say they are #1 on your list? The only problem i have had is the dogbones will pop off when the chassis flexes.

They spit pins habitually. Flm shafts solved that issue. I'm not understanding the chassis flex. I've heard another guy say he had issues as well, but never once had any reason to believe the chassis was flexing. I jumped it alot should have been pretty apparent if that was a weak area. Do you have alloy chassis braces?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks