CK Vekta Saga

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHECK YOUR CLEARANCES CLOSELY ON THESE HITEC SERVOS EVERYONE!

Well after installing the second servo set, the same thing happened!! I noticed some slight grinding noise while running, but thought it was just the dogbanes in the drivetrain, as that is what it sounded like. It wasn't terrible, and I didn't really connect the dots until after the servo melted down and I removed it from the car. It was the rear mounted servo again. (Both these servos were brand new).

Upon further inspection, after removal from the vehicle, I noticed some scrape marks on one side of the servo, right along the cooling fins. I checked the previously blown servo and noticed the same scrape marks on one side of that servo as well. As my luck would have it, the clearance between that rear servo and the rear most drive shaft cup (attached directly to the transmission) is very tight apparently. The cup was worn around the outside, so it was apparently the grinding noise I was hearing.

This metal to metal contact would of course generate a LOT of heat, leading to the melt down of the servo motor and even the board in the first servo. Thankfully this servo motor blew before the board, so I did not have melted wires in the battery box this time around. If you are using these servos, please check the clearance of the rear mounted servo with the drive shaft cup. This cannot be a coincidence that both times it was the rear servo and both had these scrape marks right where the drive cup was adjacent to the servo position.

I am disappointed in myself for not checking this more closely during the original build. Unfortunately I assumed any large scale servo would fit and clearance was already considered by Kraken since a dual servo system is mentioned as an option at the beginning of the assembly manual. Well, you know the old adage...when you assume...ya'll know the rest...lol!

So all this being said, I am going to run with a single servo for now, until I figure this clearance issue out and have the cash to buy another servo....:confused:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks