Clutch’s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieD

I have a CY 36cc...how long should a generic two shoe last and what is a good reliable clutch that lasts longer and has good performance...motor is bone stock and 21/58 gearing on a 5T platform

If everything is working ok that should last for a while, (also depends on use).
And a good clutch that last longer than classic ones are PTFE ones ( but usually more finicky) and full metal ones (these require a break in period to perform nicely) but probably lasts 10 times more than classic ones.

PS: To give you numbers I have a 29cc Baja with over 40 tanks, using the clutch it came with... the clutch all these rovan / rofun / cy come with are the same.

Last edited:
Ok well the metal ones your referring to are 2 shoe single spring and I’m sorry but what kind of break in?...the 2 speed I’ve had since I bought the truck(it came with it used) has roasted 4 clutch’s and I didn’t realize that I’ve been only running in 2nd gear the entire time so I don’t know what to expect lol

The metals clutches are made by fs. I haven't done any break ins on mine and have gallons through it. Last tear down it showed no signs of wear, or issues with the bell. Clutch wear is very dependent in driving style, gearing, slippage, and engagement rpm. If your wearing clutches out quickly it more likely a set up issue and not a clutch issue. It's just the weak link that makes up for other short comings in the drive train.

Ok well the metal ones your referring to are 2 shoe single spring and I’m sorry but what kind of break in?...the 2 speed I’ve had since I bought the truck(it came with it used) has roasted 4 clutch’s and I didn’t realize that I’ve been only running in 2nd gear the entire time so I don’t know what to expect lol
This, yes
5AD44004-4572-4C9E-AA41-6DAE511551B4.jpeg
If budget is an issue you can find them in aliexpress, if not, ddm has them as well:
https://www.davesmotors.com/FS-Racing-54mm-Full-Metal-Clutch-Shoes-w-8K-RPM-Spring

These metal clutches need a break in period in the sense that they don't perform 100% until 30-60 minutes of run time, but it is not a big deal, you don't have to do anything per se. Just clean the clutch bell good with Scotch Brite and go - (Rep732 recommendation)
I would go with a vented bell carrier since I would assume this setup generates more heat, but others with more experience could weigh in about this.

Last edited:
This, yes
View attachment 68449
If budget is an issue you can find them in aliexpress, if not, ddm has them as well:
https://www.davesmotors.com/FS-Racing-54mm-Full-Metal-Clutch-Shoes-w-8K-RPM-Spring

These metal clutches need a break in period in the sense that they don't perform 100% until 30-60 minutes of run time, but it is not a big deal, you don't have to do anything per se. Just clean the clutch bell good with Scotch Brite and go - (Rep732 recommendation)
I would go with a vented bell carrier since I would assume this setup generates more heat, but others with more experience could weigh in about this.
Ok gotcha...ya it was definitely this 2 speed causing my clutch issues and I have some vertigo goodies to replace it

Attachments

• 1E3856A0-9B74-4934-8AF4-F0B850EE2DF2.jpeg
    1E3856A0-9B74-4934-8AF4-F0B850EE2DF2.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 4B472B4C-6A41-4032-98D1-9054ACD485DD.jpeg
    4B472B4C-6A41-4032-98D1-9054ACD485DD.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 16
Juicy. Im tempted by that clutch bell, these are so useful to see the state of the clutch at a glance.
Ya haven’t had a center diff in it EVER and just found a mod to fix my 2 speed which has never ran in first gear so I’m curious to see how it runs...running in second gear the whole time I’ve had this which is my first and only 1/5 scale...I live in central Illinois and it’s a sloppy mess so gonna wait for a little better weather to try it and worst case I’ll put the center diff and new bell in...thanks for the advice btw?

Ya haven’t had a center diff in it EVER and just found a mod to fix my 2 speed which has never ran in first gear so I’m curious to see how it runs...running in second gear the whole time I’ve had this which is my first and only 1/5 scale...I live in central Illinois and it’s a sloppy mess so gonna wait for a little better weather to try it and worst case I’ll put the center diff and new bell in...thanks for the advice btw?
Yeah just the pleasure of watching it work, but If that 2 speed transmission gives headaches, just toss it. You wont need it running a 36cc, a tuned pipe and 20-21 motor pinion lol, + less variables and systems to care about .

I have a CY 36cc...how long should a generic two shoe last and what is a good reliable clutch that lasts longer and has good performance...motor is bone stock and 21/58 gearing on a 5T platform
Rovan/km/ebay cheapo clutches tend to not last. Some have good luck with em but the general consensus is that they are crap. My genuine genuine zenoah padded clutch has been on my rig for 3 months of running and still looks brand new and went on my new 34 reed for the next season
IMG_20210114_173748_782.jpg
Fs clutches will last years and they are pretty cost effective.

Yeah just the pleasure of watching it work, but If that 2 speed transmission gives headaches, just toss it. You wont need it running a 36cc, a tuned pipe and 20-21 motor pinion lol, + less variables and systems to care about .
Right!? well IF it does work the clutch bell for it is twisted between the two pinions and goin to break like the first one did anyway so it’s just a matter of time...Rovan parts are just substandard quality and in the end not worth it due to the fact you end up having to replace them with the expensive quality made ones anyway...I’ve been looking at engines and for the money that bartalone/Rovan 45 reed case looks so inviting and if Bartalone puts his name on it you’d think it’s have to be good but now with all I’ve seen and dealt with from Rovan I’m really not so sure now...lol
Another thing I’ve noticed is the cheapo Rovan clutch bell carrier I’m using I had to shim do to bad tolerances and before I use that vertigo I think I should replace it with a vertigo or something like that as to not ruin anything else

Last edited:
Rovan/km/ebay cheapo clutches tend to not last. Some have good luck with em but the general consensus is that they are crap. My genuine genuine zenoah padded clutch has been on my rig for 3 months of running and still looks brand new and went on my new 34 reed for the next season
View attachment 68454
Fs clutches will last years and they are pretty cost effective.
My losi has also had the same zenoha clutch since day one ??

I have to imagine that those clutches with metal shoes must generate a ton of heat. Those that run them: do you go through more clutch bells? Bell warping issues?

Ok gotcha...ya it was definitely this 2 speed causing my clutch issues and I have some vertigo goodies to replace it
Is there just a front brake. I only see 1 front brake cam
I have to imagine that those clutches with metal shoes must generate a ton of heat. Those that run them: do you go through more clutch bells? Bell warping issues?
I run an fs and no warping
Heat yes but they have vented clutch bells. Ive used ufc steel clutch as well thats nice also

Last edited:
It is 90% related to power ratio, the weaker the engine it is the more slippage youll see; more heat more wear. As soon as you use tuned pipes or a very powerful engine either the fs or classic clutchs will last a lot without issues

Is there just a front brake. I only see 1 front brake cam

I run an fs and no warping
Heat yes but they have vented clutch bells. Ive used ufc steel clutch as well thats nice also
Ya there is only one brake on that diff mount but just bought the FID diff mount because of that...by the time I bought all the parts just for the rear brake wasn’t much more for the FID..lol

Another problem with shoes wearing out is the spring rate. The higher the rate the more load the shoes take. if possible use the stock spring 6k and they will last a long time compared to a 10k spring.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks