Clutch carnage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizzer

Canadian Rednek! 🍻
Lifetime PLUS!
PLUS member
Was out a couple of days ago and ended up demoing my clutch. Bell has cracked at shaft to pinion gear and for some reason the outer bearing has walked out a bit and now sitting proud in the carrier.

I only got about 15 minutes in and hadn’t even thrashed it yet. Has anyone had this happen before?
EE526299-167C-4763-AB7F-96199E19EEC4.jpeg5EE712A6-D8D9-4573-93B0-23457BB1CCBA.jpeg

Careful with the welding your gunna change the temper of that bell. I still have the original bell on my 2.0 but I'm using the vertigo clutch carrier.
Yeah, I know. I’m not counting on it holding up just hoping to get one or two more sessions in while waiting for the replacement.

I’m game to other options, just can’t think of any. Figured it’s worth a shot, the bell just spins on the shaft without turning the gear at all. What do I have to lose?

Thanks Niz, but no they didn’t back out. Not sure what caused it. My last couple of outings before this one one were pretty aggressive bash sessions, had a few pretty violent tumbles. Nothing obvious to me mechanically speaking that I can see right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. I’m not counting on it holding up just hoping to get one or two more sessions in while waiting for the replacement.

I’m game to other options, just can’t think of any. Figured it’s worth a shot, the bell just spins on the shaft without turning the gear at all. What do I have to lose?

Thanks Niz, but no they didn’t back out. Not sure what caused it. My last couple of outings before this one one were pretty aggressive bash sessions, had a few pretty violent tumbles. Nothing obvious to me mechanically speaking that I can see right now.
I'd still call horizon if it's under warranty yet. poop happens and they are normally pretty good about stuff

Must be just enough clutch heat to allow the bearing bore to expand and allow the bearing to walk outwards. An old skool trick to increase a press fit is to add a bunch of punch marks on the bore then drive the bearing back in .

Thanks, for the replies guys. I’ll get a hold of Horizon and see what the deal is with warranty. I’ve been beating on it since October. If I can get some replacement parts I’m all for that, even if I just use them for spares to reduce future down time.

@Polar_Bus, yup might have to go old school with the punch trick 😉or as Rep suggested see if retaining compound will work. Work schedule hasn’t allowed me to dig in too far but I’ll have a further look on my days off.

I was curious myself on warranty from horizon and it says there's a 3 year period from date of purchase for parts that are defective.... now that is impressive.. make sure you have the original receipt bizzer as they will want you to snap a pic of it to honor the warranty

Quick bush fix complete. I made a rookie mistake. I know better but should have taped off or protected the contact area of the bell. Gotta a little weld spatter on it.

And before someone gives me a Captain Obvious reply, yes I know a couple of the tack welds didn’t hit the seam.🤣🤣. Stuck the bearing back in with some loctite bearing retainer. Wish me luck!🤞🏻C153E8D2-2D1D-4F06-9ECB-513D930A4871.jpeg87A15197-A0CB-4D63-A060-8499FC20C4E1.jpeg46AB7622-4E9D-485E-B491-C21F6B84A2BF.jpeg

Just a quick update. Gave Horizon a call and props to them, covering it no questions asked! @Seandonato73 thanks for the push in that direction.

On a side note the welded bell is still holding up. I ground down the original set of welds they were a little cold, I was afraid to put too much heat in it. Thought what do I have to lose and cranked heat and laid a hotter more accurate bead on the crack. I beat it like a rented mule and held up. 🤣

So quick update, carnage on the the stock 2.0 continues. Was out bashing with my buddy and had an issue with clutch disengagement. Figured bolt backed out and was contacting the bell like many have had happened. Tore it apart, seen the bolt head sitting proud and thought not a problem I’ll tighten it up. No dice, just spun and this is what I found.9FF0CFCC-CCC4-4F37-8D21-97D8D3D89303.jpeg

The button head on the clutch plate didn’t cooperate either! Once again the mig welder saved the day!
D2623AA1-BB02-4DCD-BF08-F8EA299009CF.jpeg7EF2FEC7-5A20-4FD9-B8C4-FB42767F0017.jpeg
For a replacement tried a cap screw to secure the clutch plate but that sat way too proud and contacted the clutch spring. Had to do some Redneck engineering and cut down a 6mm bolt and ground down the head till it wouldn’t interfere.C2AE4C59-B4D1-4F98-91FE-EF890EADBE21.jpeg
Is it perfect? Hell no! Will it work, I’ll find out. It’ll get the full send treatment later this week. The welded bell is still hanging in but since it’s apart I’ll install the Vertigo hex drive. 🍻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks